Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Mounting 4' x 4' panel sign on parking lot light pole?

Discussion in 'Installation Equipment & Techniques' started by JERHEMI, Sep 4, 2018.

1. JERHEMI

JERHEMI Very Active Member

Oct 31, 2006
    Chicagoland
    I have a 4' x 4' aluminum panel sign I need to mount on a parking lot light pole for a distribution center. It's most likely going to be several signs when it's all said and done, but I need to get the first one up there to see how it's going to work out. I have a couple questions I was hoping I can get some help with...

1. What sort of mounting hardware do you recommend? I'm thinking unistrut on the back of the sign, but what are your thoughts on hardware for the post itself? I don't want the sign twisting around the pole when we get super windy days.

2. Do you recommend .080 aluminum or something else?

Tags:
  2. Gino

Gino Premium Subscriber

Jun 7, 2006
    PA
    If the light standard wasn't installed to hold anything but a light, I highly doubt you'll find anyone willing to give you a permit to hang a sail on it, let alone an engineered stamped drawing for it.

You might hafta rethink your installation altogether.

Can't really recommend something which doesn't meet any codes.

All this goes double for the Windy City.​

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. Billct2

Billct2 Major Contributor

Mar 12, 2005
    New England
    Agree with Gino. We install small signs, like 18"x24" on parking lot light poles, and they sometimes twist a little in a good storm.
    I'd suggest light pole banners instead.

4. rjssigns

rjssigns Major Contributor

Jun 4, 2007
    Home Office
    Gino is spot on. Town where I live wind load calc is based on 30lbs per square foot. You'd be at 480lbs.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Rick

Rick Certified Enneadecagon Designer

Apr 17, 2003
    Valle Vista
    As already stated by Gino and verified by others, you want to make sure the pole can handle the extra stress. I have worked on quite a few municipality wayfinding projects where the poles had to be verified. We always called out Signfix by Idex and they worked like a charm...

6. ams

ams Very Active Member

Oct 28, 2010
    Virginia
    Check with your local code, some places don't allow any signage to be affixed to a light pole. See if it's a public light or private.

7. Gino

Gino Premium Subscriber

Jun 7, 2006
    PA
    Why would the rules change according to public vs. private ??

8. Texas_Signmaker

Texas_Signmaker Very Active Signmaker

Oct 21, 2016
    Frisco, TX
    I would not do that. Maybe you can get away with a much smaller sign but a 4'x4' would be a no-no.

9. unclebun

unclebun Very Active Member

If it's the city's street light along a road, you can't put anything on it. If it's a shopping center's light in a parking lot, they can.

• Agree Agree x 2
  10. Gino

Gino Premium Subscriber

Jun 7, 2006
    PA
    As far as having a blanket permit in a mall or shopping center, yes....... but the rules still apply for wind shear and whatnot, regardless where the sign is gonna go. If it's going out in your back yard, you'd be a fool to put a 4' x 4' sail on a light standard without thinking it thoroughly through, first.

11. JERHEMI

Oct 31, 2006
    Chicagoland
    Thanks everybody for the replies! I appreciate it! I went and checked out the light poles and they aren't as beefy as I thought. They are more thinner low profile with small arms hanging off the top with LED's lighting. They are in a private parking lot for a distribution center. A 4' x 4' sign would definitely not be a good idea. We might be able to do smaller 2' x 2' sign, but I'm still scratching my head about hardware to secure it to the pole. Rick, will Signfix prevent the sign from twisting around the pole when it gets super windy and end up facing a different direction? This project might get scrapped now after I tell them it's not a good idea, but it still would be nice to know about the best pole hardware for future reference that won't twist in the wind.

12. Billct2

Mar 12, 2005
    New England
    Are they round or square poles? On round the Signfix or similar will work. On square poles with two signs back to back thru bolts right up against the pole will work.

13. TimToad

TimToad Very Active Member

Jun 13, 2013
    CA
    I'd add, through bolts while being EXTREMELY careful drilling your pilot holes to not pierce the wiring for the lights.

14. BIG EASY DOES IT

BIG EASY DOES IT Very Active Member

Mar 14, 2011
    CA
    Get some flared leg saddles and some 3/4" strap and strap that sign up on the pole. We make signs this large all the time and the city installs with band and buckle on light poles. We made some 48x72 wayfinding signs in .125" aluminum. They go on a 4" pole with sign fix channel and bracket.

15. Gino

Gino Premium Subscriber

Jun 7, 2006
    PA

Did you happen to notice where the OP is located ?? Do you know that city's nickname ??

16. Billct2

Mar 12, 2005
    New England
    Sorry, that wasn't clear, not bolts thru the post, just the signs. We drill 4 holes on the pair of signs just wider that the square post.
    Then pinch the signs to the post with the bolts.

• Like Like x 2
  17. JERHEMI

Oct 31, 2006
    Chicagoland
    The poles at the base are 36" in circumference and 10" in diameter and get slightly narrower going up. Can you point me in the direction of "flared leg saddles"? I don't think I know what those are?

18. JERHEMI

Oct 31, 2006
    Chicagoland
    It's not actually that windy here. I think this is a myth that non-Chicago/Illinois people have understood "The Windy City" to mean. I'm not up to date on the history of the meaning, but I think it has something to do with all the hot air politicians are blowing! (which is 100% true! lol)

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. Johnny Best

Johnny Best Very Active Member

Dec 9, 2015
    buffalo ny
    I read somewhere and sometime back where the Chicago newspaper wrote long articles and someone mentioned it was a windy city, meaning like noted in quote on being long winded so the term windy city came about.
    If the signs are mounted right with sign fix hardware and not too large (2'x2') it will work on the light poles in a parking lot for identification purposes.

20. ams

ams Very Active Member

Oct 28, 2010
    Virginia
    I recommend doing pole banners. Here is a link for round poles: https://metalcraftindustries.net/banner-bracket-kit-for-round-poles-choose-options-for-pricing/