• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Mounting 4' x 4' panel sign on parking lot light pole?

JERHEMI

I have a 4' x 4' aluminum panel sign I need to mount on a parking lot light pole for a distribution center. It's most likely going to be several signs when it's all said and done, but I need to get the first one up there to see how it's going to work out. I have a couple questions I was hoping I can get some help with...

1. What sort of mounting hardware do you recommend? I'm thinking unistrut on the back of the sign, but what are your thoughts on hardware for the post itself? I don't want the sign twisting around the pole when we get super windy days.

2. Do you recommend .080 aluminum or something else?

Gino

Premium Subscriber
If the light standard wasn't installed to hold anything but a light, I highly doubt you'll find anyone willing to give you a permit to hang a sail on it, let alone an engineered stamped drawing for it.

You might hafta rethink your installation altogether.

Can't really recommend something which doesn't meet any codes.

All this goes double for the Windy City.​

Billct2

Agree with Gino. We install small signs, like 18"x24" on parking lot light poles, and they sometimes twist a little in a good storm.
I'd suggest light pole banners instead.

rjssigns

Gino is spot on. Town where I live wind load calc is based on 30lbs per square foot. You'd be at 480lbs.

Rick

Certified Enneadecagon Designer
As already stated by Gino and verified by others, you want to make sure the pole can handle the extra stress. I have worked on quite a few municipality wayfinding projects where the poles had to be verified. We always called out Signfix by Idex and they worked like a charm...

ams

Check with your local code, some places don't allow any signage to be affixed to a light pole. See if it's a public light or private.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
As far as having a blanket permit in a mall or shopping center, yes....... but the rules still apply for wind shear and whatnot, regardless where the sign is gonna go. If it's going out in your back yard, you'd be a fool to put a 4' x 4' sail on a light standard without thinking it thoroughly through, first.

JERHEMI

Thanks everybody for the replies! I appreciate it! I went and checked out the light poles and they aren't as beefy as I thought. They are more thinner low profile with small arms hanging off the top with LED's lighting. They are in a private parking lot for a distribution center. A 4' x 4' sign would definitely not be a good idea. We might be able to do smaller 2' x 2' sign, but I'm still scratching my head about hardware to secure it to the pole. Rick, will Signfix prevent the sign from twisting around the pole when it gets super windy and end up facing a different direction? This project might get scrapped now after I tell them it's not a good idea, but it still would be nice to know about the best pole hardware for future reference that won't twist in the wind.

Billct2

Are they round or square poles? On round the Signfix or similar will work. On square poles with two signs back to back thru bolts right up against the pole will work.

TimToad

Are they round or square poles? On round the Signfix or similar will work. On square poles with two signs back to back thru bolts right up against the pole will work.

I'd add, through bolts while being EXTREMELY careful drilling your pilot holes to not pierce the wiring for the lights.

Get some flared leg saddles and some 3/4" strap and strap that sign up on the pole. We make signs this large all the time and the city installs with band and buckle on light poles. We made some 48x72 wayfinding signs in .125" aluminum. They go on a 4" pole with sign fix channel and bracket.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Get some flared leg saddles and some 3/4" strap and strap that sign up on the pole. We make signs this large all the time and the city installs with band and buckle on light poles. We made some 48x72 wayfinding signs in .125" aluminum. They go on a 4" pole with sign fix channel and bracket.

Did you happen to notice where the OP is located ?? Do you know that city's nickname ??

Billct2

Sorry, that wasn't clear, not bolts thru the post, just the signs. We drill 4 holes on the pair of signs just wider that the square post.
Then pinch the signs to the post with the bolts.

JERHEMI

The poles at the base are 36" in circumference and 10" in diameter and get slightly narrower going up. Can you point me in the direction of "flared leg saddles"? I don't think I know what those are?

JERHEMI

Did you happen to notice where the OP is located ?? Do you know that city's nickname ??
It's not actually that windy here. I think this is a myth that non-Chicago/Illinois people have understood "The Windy City" to mean. I'm not up to date on the history of the meaning, but I think it has something to do with all the hot air politicians are blowing! (which is 100% true! lol)

Johnny Best

It's not actually that windy here. I think this is a myth that non-Chicago/Illinois people have understood "The Windy City" to mean. I'm not up to date on the history of the meaning, but I think it has something to do with all the hot air politicians are blowing! (which is 100% true! lol)
I read somewhere and sometime back where the Chicago newspaper wrote long articles and someone mentioned it was a windy city, meaning like noted in quote on being long winded so the term windy city came about.
If the signs are mounted right with sign fix hardware and not too large (2'x2') it will work on the light poles in a parking lot for identification purposes.

ams

Thanks everybody for the replies! I appreciate it! I went and checked out the light poles and they aren't as beefy as I thought. They are more thinner low profile with small arms hanging off the top with LED's lighting. They are in a private parking lot for a distribution center. A 4' x 4' sign would definitely not be a good idea. We might be able to do smaller 2' x 2' sign, but I'm still scratching my head about hardware to secure it to the pole. Rick, will Signfix prevent the sign from twisting around the pole when it gets super windy and end up facing a different direction? This project might get scrapped now after I tell them it's not a good idea, but it still would be nice to know about the best pole hardware for future reference that won't twist in the wind.

I recommend doing pole banners. Here is a link for round poles: https://metalcraftindustries.net/banner-bracket-kit-for-round-poles-choose-options-for-pricing/