• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Mounting 4' x 4' panel sign on parking lot light pole?

JERHEMI

I read somewhere and sometime back where the Chicago newspaper wrote long articles and someone mentioned it was a windy city, meaning like noted in quote on being long winded so the term windy city came about.
If the signs are mounted right with sign fix hardware and not too large (2'x2') it will work on the light poles in a parking lot for identification purposes.
I’m not sure, but honestly, majority of the residents in the surrounding Chicagoland suburbs wish Chicago would just break off from the State of Illinois and form their own state because they are dragging down the rest of the state with all their crime and high taxes. Personally, I only go to the city if I have to, and that’s usually just for something health related because Chicago does have some of the best hospitals in the country.

The signs would be to identify parking areas for semi trailers in a distribution center parking lot. I just got done voicing my concerns about the 4’ x 4’ signs and suggested 2’ x 2’ signs instead and they are fine with that. I just need to look into the sign fix next.

JERHEMI

I’m not sure, but honestly, majority of the residents in the surrounding Chicagoland suburbs wish Chicago would just break off from the State of Illinois and form their own state because they are dragging down the rest of the state with all their crime and high taxes. Personally, I only go to the city if I have to, and that’s usually just for something health related because Chicago does have some of the best hospitals in the country.

The signs would be to identify parking areas for semi trailers in a distribution center parking lot. I just got done voicing my concerns about the 4’ x 4’ signs and suggested 2’ x 2’ signs instead and they are fine with that. I just need to look into the sign fix next.
The State of Illinois isn’t any better than Chicago either! Taxes are ridiculous! If voters would stop re-electing the Speaker of the House Mike Madigan, the State of Illinois might be able to bounce back. That guy runs Illinois, not the Governor! Don’t be fooled!

Rick

Certified Enneadecagon Designer
I believe the "CTS" bus system signs are done with Band-it straps.

Like I said, every municipality/DOT/wayfinding sign I have ever worked on used the Band-It system, wether they were brackets where you bolt into or my preferred rail/strap method so there are no visible mounts. We usually called out .125" aluminum, most were 16 or more square feet.

I have not seen any failures, but I can imagine if the install was not done with enough tension, the sign will twist.

Are the posts steel or aluminum?

Obviously, I would consult with an engineer but looking at an old drawing, a 16 sq. ft. sign, 12' centered in the air, you would need a min. 5" steel post. I have designed signs that are 16 - 24 square feet on 8" - 10" post where the post far exceeded the engineering requirements.

equippaint

The State of Illinois isn’t any better than Chicago either! Taxes are ridiculous! If voters would stop re-electing the Speaker of the House Mike Madigan, the State of Illinois might be able to bounce back. That guy runs Illinois, not the Governor! Don’t be fooled!
Stop already. Without Chicago, Illinois would be North Mississippi. The equipment manufacturers hold up the tiny remaining bit but it's just a matter of time and they will be gone too.

TimToad

It's not actually that windy here. I think this is a myth that non-Chicago/Illinois people have understood "The Windy City" to mean. I'm not up to date on the history of the meaning, but I think it has something to do with all the hot air politicians are blowing! (which is 100% true! lol)

Seriously? Chicago in certain areas is every bit as windy as its moniker.

While its not "the" windiest city in the U.S. its one of the windier big cities on average in the U.S.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windy_City_(nickname) It appears that its inception was a combination of several factors, not completely related to its politicians.

I lived there from 1961 to 1989 and mostly worked outdoors from 1/2/1980 until leaving 7/1/1989. I remember many a morning standing on the "L" platform at 6am on my way down to Foster & Kleiser at 35th and Morgan to then go out and hang off the sides of billboards and building sides all day. My second day on the job I was put out on the infamous J&B wall at I-55 and California. At the time, it was the world's largest outdoor advertisement at 90'x270'. It took three journeymen and their helpers or apprentices a month to complete a repaint on it three times a year. Working out on a 20' swing stage on a January day in Chicago was not the most enjoyable experience.