Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Mounting acrylic to brick wall options

Discussion in 'Installation Equipment & Techniques' started by K Chez, Sep 4, 2018.

1. K Chez

K Chez Member

Feb 13, 2008
    Howell, NJ
    I have a project where I need to mount a routed shape (in this case a paw print about 15" x 14") to a brick wall. The obvious choice is to drill into the brick but was wondering if there is an adhesive solution that would be durable long term.

Tags:
  2. SoCal

SoCal Member

Jan 7, 2013
    Montclair, CA
    Sign Grade Silicone? I think drilling into it and using stand-offs would look the absolute best, however.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Billct2

Billct2 Major Contributor

Mar 12, 2005
    New England
    Yes, stand offs is nice, but mounting tape combined with adhesive would work.

4. Moze

Moze Very Active Member

Feb 27, 2012
    Dallas, TX
    You mention acrylic and that it's 15"x14" but you don't mention how thick it is - that's going to influence what you use.

Stud-mounting would be the best option.

If they don't want a lot of penetrations, drill and tap for one stud at the top and use tape and Lexel on the rest.

Not sure what 'sign grade silicone' is, but silicone doesn't adhere well to bare acrylic. Spend the few extra bucks for Lexel (available at Lowe's).

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. bannertime

bannertime "You guys do banners, right?"

Sep 8, 2016
    Arlington, TX
    I was going to assume they meant GE Silicone II because I've never seen a tube of silicone say anything about signs. I just Googled for the heck of it, and there is a "sign supply" that sells their own branded silicone. o_O

6. rossmosh

rossmosh Active Member

Oct 9, 2014
    New Jersey
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 4
  7. visual800

visual800 Very Active Member

Aug 4, 2010
    montgomery, alabama
    is this interior or exterior? what thickness of acrylic?

8. Robbie Moore

Robbie Moore New Member

Aug 14, 2018
    Louisiana
    2 sided vhb tape and globs of silicone.

9. ams

ams Very Active Member

Oct 28, 2010
    Virginia
    Don't use silicone or VHB tape for brick. You need to do stand offs.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Robbie Moore

Robbie Moore New Member

Aug 14, 2018
    Louisiana
    Yo
    BS stand offs are for decoration to hide hardware. If they want a cheap install without screws in brick this the best solution.

11. Moze

Moze Very Active Member

Feb 27, 2012
    Dallas, TX
    I wish people would stop recommending silicone for acrylic. It's adhesion to bare acrylic is nothing to write home about.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. ams

ams Very Active Member

Oct 28, 2010
    Virginia
    It'll fail

13. DerbyCitySignGuy

DerbyCitySignGuy Very Active Member

Dec 12, 2013
    Kentucky
    No, it won't. The right adhesive plus VHB will work just fine and last for years. Moze is right about silicone, but even silicone will work for interior installations.

Lexel, PowerGrab, Gripfill, and most other construction adhesives will work just fine as long as they're rated for plastics and concrete.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. ams

ams Very Active Member

Oct 28, 2010
    Virginia
    You think Acrylic is going to sit perfectly flat on this brick?

R10961_image1.jpg

15. DerbyCitySignGuy

Dec 12, 2013
    Kentucky
    Is that the only type of brick wall that exists?

You don't own a level?

[Edit: I'd bet dollars to donuts it's going on a flat brick wall, probably in a school or university.]

[Edit 2: Will stand offs look better? Yes. Is it the only solution, or even the most cost effective solution? No.]

16. ams

ams Very Active Member

Oct 28, 2010
    Virginia
    I am just suggesting not to do it that way, if they want to and it falls off later that's on them. I would rather turn down the job than to do that.

17. DerbyCitySignGuy

Dec 12, 2013
    Kentucky
    That's your prerogative, but if you honestly think that construction adhesive and VHB won't hold a tiny piece of acrylic to a brick wall, I'm not sure what to you tell you.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Gino

Gino Premium Subscriber

Jun 7, 2006
    PA
    There is/are no replacements for physical fasteners........ hidden, stand-off or whatever. Any adhesive or double sided tape can come loose for any number of reasons. Other than a hurricane or earthquake, the physical fasteners have a far better chance of not having something land on some unsuspecting pedestrian.

The question isn't whether something will hold OR not, but if it doesn't, the consequences you'll pay for not making sure no one is ever hurt from YOUR installation.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  19. SoCal

SoCal Member

Jan 7, 2013
    Montclair, CA
    Signmart here in Southern California sells "HIGH PERFORMANCE SILICONE FOR THE SIGN INDUSTRY" and we have never had a problem with it adhering to acrylic.
    I would still try to convince my customer against it though since it is being mounted onto bricks.

Attached Files:

20. Moze

Moze Very Active Member

Feb 27, 2012
    Dallas, TX
    I'm curious what additive that has that makes it adhere to plastics/acrylic. Your typical neutral-cure or acid (acetoxy)-cure silicones on smooth, unfinished acrylic can usually be peeled off pretty easily. It doesn't mean a sign installed with it will fall down, but it doesn't guarantee that it won't. If his sign is 1/2" thick, there's no way I'd trust silicone. I'd even be leery if it was 1/4". Lexel welds/etches itself into acrylic and is well worth the peace of mind.