• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Mounting to smooth granite outside

csudman

I have a golf course we're rebranding. They have really nice granite hole markers at each hole. the old logo is engraved into the marker. The plan is to route alumacore into their logo and attach. The granite is a smooth polished finish and I'm conserned about adhesion over many years. Should I use a angle grinder to rough the surface where these will be attached? Planning on using double sided tape to hold and silicone. Thoughts?

Rick

Certified Enneadecagon Designer
Another choice is to mechanically attach a backer to the granite,
then use the panel with the logo and attach that to the backer
using VHB and Lords Adhesive

Rick

You probably could get away with just
adhesive... granite countertops are usually
epoxied to form a bullnose or finished edge

csudman

You probably could get away with just
adhesive... granite countertops are usually
epoxied to form a bullnose or finished edge

That was my thought, but do the have the same supersmooth finish where they are joined?

SIGNTIME

If you're really nervous you can drill with glass/tile drill bits but it will take longer. I would drill with regular masonary bit and hammer drill just test where you wont see (where the sign meets the ground)

Rick

That was my thought, but do the have the same supersmooth finish where they are joined?

It's rough, but only 1"-1 1/2" thickness is used to bond the surface.
The weight difference of the material you are dealing with is only a
fraction of what granite weighs. And the sign will probably have a larger
area to bond with. I think 1/8" aluminum would be a little more stable.

Moze

Precision Sign Services
VHB & neutral cure silicone or Lexel would be my two cents. You'll need a pry bar to get them off.