• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Movie Poster sources?

Forty One

I would like to print off some posters for our office over here.
Does anyine have any good sites they can recommend? Anything I can find online is of mediochre quality and not really clear.

ikarasu

You might not get caught if you're printing them just for yourself around the shop... But as soon as a customer sees it, and asks for it... What do you tell them?

I feel like copyright laws are way too strict, but when dealing with your livelihood you should follow the rules!

Stacey K

I like making signs
If you're into 50' women then this one is cheaply priced with original linen backing. This site has copies and originals.

1707842322676.png

netsol

You might not get caught if you're printing them just for yourself around the shop... But as soon as a customer sees it, and asks for it... What do you tell them?

I feel like copyright laws are way too strict, but when dealing with your livelihood you should follow the rules!
it is much less a test of your will power, BEFORE SOMEONE ASKS
as soon as a customer offers to buy a set of the posters THEN WE HAVE A HORSE RACE

i am not trying to harass you, Forty One, but it is much more of a test of character after someone offers to buy a set

JUST FOR THE RECORD i would print the damn things, if they were simply for my own use or decorating my own office (it would be an easier choice if they were
going in my house, which damn few clients ever see...)

Stacey K

I like making signs
Seems easier to just order them online. If customers ask you to print them...

"Because of copyright laws, we can't print them. These were special ordered online a few years back and we just got around to framing them."

What site?

"No idea, I was drunk when I ordered them."

ikarasu

Seems easier to just order them online. If customers ask you to print them...

"Because of copyright laws, we can't print them. These were special ordered online a few years back and we just got around to framing them."

What site?

"No idea, I was drunk when I ordered them."
Ever try to buy movie posters or something from a wholesaler / Vistaprint?

We were doing store graphics for a comic store that was just opening - We had to outsource a print that was too big for our printers... And it had the superman logo on it. Sent it to... I think 4over? Maybe sinalite... But they came back saying they couldn't print it due to copyright laws.

I forget exactly how we handled that as it was a long time ago... I think the store reached out to some contact they had and got written permission for the logo and that was sufficient, but it was sooo long ago.

I've had a few customers ask me to print something because Vista print / Staples refused as well - I'm sure if you try enough, or if its an old, outdated poster it may slip through... But if you try to print the latest spiderman poster at a trade shop, odds are it'll get flagged.

Again... I do think copyright laws are too strict and dumb. A poster is for advertising the movie - They should be free to print... All you're doing is advertising a companies product for them. Our copyright system needs an overhaul, Everything should be fair use unless you're making a profit off of it...

damonCA21

Some companies can be a bit daft with copyright. We had a customer who was doing a round britain cycle ride with a couple of friends for a VERY well known charity ( and a very dodgy one who give hardly any money they make to the actual people they collect it for ! ). He asked them if they could supply some decals so he could put them on their bikes and collecting buckets etc.. so he would look more official.

They said they couldn't do them as they didn't make them, so he asked me if I could. I contacted them to ask for the official logos and explained what it was for, and also that I was doing the job for free

They told me there was no way I could make them, and if I did would be hearing from their legal team :/

The customer went back to the charity and was so disgusted with the way they were acting he told them he was going to do the ride for someone else and they could basically go F themselves !

Stacey K

I like making signs
Ever try to buy movie posters or something from a wholesaler / Vistaprint?

We were doing store graphics for a comic store that was just opening - We had to outsource a print that was too big for our printers... And it had the superman logo on it. Sent it to... I think 4over? Maybe sinalite... But they came back saying they couldn't print it due to copyright laws.

I forget exactly how we handled that as it was a long time ago... I think the store reached out to some contact they had and got written permission for the logo and that was sufficient, but it was sooo long ago.

I've had a few customers ask me to print something because Vista print / Staples refused as well - I'm sure if you try enough, or if its an old, outdated poster it may slip through... But if you try to print the latest spiderman poster at a trade shop, odds are it'll get flagged.

Again... I do think copyright laws are too strict and dumb. A poster is for advertising the movie - They should be free to print... All you're doing is advertising a companies product for them. Our copyright system needs an overhaul, Everything should be fair use unless you're making a profit off of it...
I will also not print anything copyrighted. A few small things for garage guys if I can print it on my printer but I've never tried to send anything to a wholesale printer that's copyrighted. I get A LOT of people looking for Harley Davidson - won't touch it with a 10' pole.

I made my son a couple banners for his college dorm. One was System of a Down and the other Hell Yeah. Logos on background. He graduated and now has them in his garage. That's part of the advantage of being in this business. You're mom can make you cool stuff nobody else has LOL

damonCA21

I will also not print anything copyrighted. A few small things for garage guys if I can print it on my printer but I've never tried to send anything to a wholesale printer that's copyrighted. I get A LOT of people looking for Harley Davidson - won't touch it with a 10' pole.

I made my son a couple banners for his college dorm. One was System of a Down and the other Hell Yeah. Logos on background. He graduated and now has them in his garage. That's part of the advantage of being in this business. You're mom can make you cool stuff nobody else has LOL
Don't start me on Harley !
Customer : Can you make this old harley design for my gas tank in these original colours?
Me: Sorry, only option for that is to see if you can get it directly from harley themselves.
Customer : Have tried that, they don't make them
Me : Sorry, can't do any of their logos
Customer : So they don't make it, but won't let anyone else, so I can't restore my actual harley properly?
Me : Nope....

JBurton

Signtologist
What do you tell them?
"Sorry chief." (they like being called such things, tends to squash the conversation rapidly while leaving their inflated ego intact)
Customer : Can you make this old harley design for my gas tank in these original colours?
"For sure, just reach out to Harley, here's their contact info, and request in, in writing, permission to reproduce their logo for this specific circumstance. Once they get it all sorted out on their end, they'll get me the files. Probably..." (ironically, harley's files are all vectorized in unprotected pdf's scattered across the web, clearly they do all the can to keep them safe)

Attachments

• silo.tips_harley-davidson-visual-identity-and-trademark-guidelines.pdf
    1.7 MB · Views: 78