• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Much smaller scale than everyone I've seen on here!

baxterzoe

Hi! My business partner and I are starting a very small business with celebration signs in yards for new babies, birthdays etc.. We are also going to be doing decals and vinyl for windows, home decor and walls. We will also be doing heat transfers for clothing. We expect that alot will be for our local sports teams and gyms. Also, we have an order for a sorority that we hope will lead to a broader college customer base. We have started with a Puma III vinyl cutter and Corel software. We will be buying the heat press within the next week. I cannot find any info under "search" on the Puma III. But, that may be because it is chump change compared to all of the machines you guys have. I do have graphic design experience. My partner is the brain...I do the creative and OCD design work. I look forward to learning from everyone. Please.. be gentle....

James Burke

Being a grandpa is more fun than working
Welcome to the forum. Don't forget to spend time crafting a solid business plan if you haven't already.

JB

briankb

Premium Subscriber
What heat press are you looking to buy?

You would be better of outsourcing your jobs for a while and saving up for better equipment.

Farmboy

We expect that alot will be for our local sports teams and gyms.
Most of these groups already have a local printer or purchase online, yes you could do the work for a single team, but you wouldn't be able to compete with a screen printer on shirts for a whole league. Most people in the shirt business use their plotter and heat press for one offs, name and numbers.

Also, we have an order for a sorority that we hope will lead to a broader college customer base.
You've taken and order before you even have all of your equipment up and running? I don't see where you have claimed to have any experience doing this kind of work, so how are you going to know if what your sending a good product out the door? You should be cutting, pressing and washing your own items before you start making goods for customers.

anotherdog

Given the products you are going into, most of your efforts should be marketing. Production should be outsourced until you have the volume to support decent equipment.
Since you have a lot of competition there is very little profit per item, so either you grow quickly or have another source of income.

I have a heat press myself sitting in the basement covered in dust because I underestimated demand and profit margin, It simply didn't pay as much per hour of work as just about everything else I do.

You really do need to have a plan and since you are in partnership you need an exit plan too.

oh and welcome from sunny Canada.

TwoNine

Welcome from WA! Congratulations on your sorority order! Sounds like a winner.

Have fun out there!

-Chad