• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Question Multi-Layered Printing?

WYLDGFI

Merchant Member
It may be. Im not that familiar with the FB as we ran Vutek and Agfa now. We always had image/wl/image capabilities on the printers. They typically run in-line and split the printheads into zones. Takes longer to print, but no alignment needed after the fact. All done in line.

Inks

Are these sticking to a glass door to be viewed from both sides like a visa decal? If so, be sure that the ink is solvent resistant if you use a solvent based optically clear adhesive. You would not want it to de-laminate.

unclebun

I don't think this will work on the Epson. Even if you get it to print it, you will see the reverse image through the white. It's not opaque.

Boudica

Back to "educational purposes"
That would be ok, the image wouldn't be flipped - it's not text or anything that couldn't be viewed reversed.

It's starting to look like we are going to move in another direction. I'm trying to figure out something between a 1x and 2x strike. Not so dark as a backlit, but darker than regular.

...without the white

netsol

How did you register the second color pass so it would print in the right place?
I guess I could use the marks and line it up like I do with double sided banners, without flipping the media over.

i am kind of imagining the "floating books" on the "back" are a mirror image of the ones on the front?
if you catch my drift, so the objects line up and overlap? makes me cringe, i like the idea of the effect, but i have often said i am a lousy graphic artist &
there are lots of ways to screw this up or over complicate it. printing the same image front and back isn't going to work, to my thinking, because all the objects aren't symmetrical (book tilted 15 degrees to the left on front, needs to tilt 15 degrees to the right, on back so they overlap perfectly

WYLDGFI

Merchant Member
i am kind of imagining the "floating books" on the "back" are a mirror image of the ones on the front?
if you catch my drift, so the objects line up and overlap? makes me cringe, i like the idea of the effect, but i have often said i am a lousy graphic artist &
there are lots of ways to screw this up or over complicate it. printing the same image front and back isn't going to work, to my thinking, because all the objects aren't symmetrical (book tilted 15 degrees to the left on front, needs to tilt 15 degrees to the right, on back so they overlap perfectly
Doing it manually you run that risk. With UV printing, we do that in-line....lay the first image down, then the white...then the 2nd image on top of the white. It takes talent and nerve to do it manually and I have seen it done that way before. 3 layer capable UV printers are the best for this application.

netsol

you could mirror it obviously, but then the books can't have any writing on them

i am trying to make this more complicated than it needs to be

Boudica

I'm dead-ending on the C/W/C with both printers. Boss needed to get the quote out this morning, so I think he might be steering them away from their first idea. Now I'm experimenting with achieving half backlit - no white

unclebun

Do it with two pieces of vinyl. Print the first image on clear vinyl. Print the second on white vinyl which is white on the back. Install the clear vinyl on glass, then install the white vinyl over it.

Boudica

except there needs to be clear in between the graphics. contour cut won't work (people will pick at it), so they want full coverage vinyl - but clear so you can see through the window between the graphics. I don't think it's going to work with the machines I have, off to plan B

Inks

If the print job is big enough as in many pieces, it would be best screen printed using a barrier white.