• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

MultiCam 300 Support Sucks

Janey

I can't imagine only having the machine for 2 weeks and joining a new forum just to vent your frustrations. It sounds to me like you thought you bought a magic bullet to flip a switch & be like a chauffer driven limo taking you and your business anywhere you want to go with the flip of a switch. I'm sure that is an exaggeration, but like you said yourself, it ain't the best first impression.

Interesting thought you have. But I didn't buy a table to look at it. I was running paying jobs two days after I got the machine installed. As I work 7 days a week and 12-14 hour days. I can cut my 2d signs without a thought. The machine is not rocket science. Give me another week for the 3D as I said Dan Sawasky has been here and I will be cutting some 3D signs. Oh...and I did pay for him.

Multicam will tell you that there interface is cake...I agree. If someone isn't running their machine in a few days for production work then call me...I am not an expert but I can tell you that I can get you running.

Passion is what I am all about. You either love what you do or don't do it. You either provide your customers with excellent service or you end up with no business.

The MultiCam manual does not provide step by step instructions (and it appears outdated) so assistance is needed. Chicago office hours are mon-fri 8:30 to 4:30 you will lucky to get a call back the same day you call if at all. If you have a problem outside of those hours or on the weekend (like we did) you just have to wait.

If Multicam wants me to suceed they sure have an interesting way of showing it. Peace, Janey

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Janey…..

Your frustration is becoming more clear as you post more and more. I feel for your passion, but it is now appearing that some of your statements might have been a tad overboard. In no way am I trying to make light of your situation, like I said, I’ve been there… in fact, I’m sure many of us have been there. Not with a CNC perhaps or Multicam as the culprit, but not knowing what to do in particular cases with a piece of machinery or scenario that has us stumped.

I for one think your only justified gripe is about getting unlicensed software and think that could be a major problem at some point down the road. I’ve never heard of such a thing coming from a major distributor like that, unless it was something to get you up and running until the licensed version came in. That’s for your and their lawyers to figure out.

As for sending out a newbie tech person….. it happens. I believe you are taking all of the proper measures to rectify your situation, but all of this venom coming from you doesn’t do anyone any good on our boards except provide entertainment.

I think alerting our community :signs101: is honorable, but your distaste towards MultiCam is not warranted at this point. You admit, within two days you were doing all kinds of things and had Dan out to help further your business in this field. You’ve taken just about every step possible to remedy your situation… and you’ve done them well. I would be concentrating more on what you did for yourself and your company… and how MultiCam has let you down in so many areas. Just because a company doesn’t drop everything for you… doesn’t support bad-mouthing them in a forum where being the new kid on the block looks a little odd.

Speaking of new kid on the block… I find it even more odd that olsen has decided to join our ranks immediately after MultiCam is getting some bad advertisement. Seems like MultiCam is monitoring these threads [or someone is for them, based on Fred’s e-mail of the situation] and then instead of defending themselves has someone sign up on their behalf and does the dirty work for them. Possibly I’m reading too much into this, but you know what… this sort of stuff happens all the time and it’s rather childish and poor business not to do your own posting. As Janey did, her passion for this trade made her post [although I think a little overboard] and I must commend her on her stance in an unpopular setting.

Again Janey, welcome aboard for someone who shows a great passion for this industry and takes their job very seriously.

Now, we just have to get you to ease up on your hours and enjoy life a little. :toasting:

briderx

Ahh.. Finally done reading all those (rather lengthy) posts. I am a CNC programmer. Have been for 3 years now (July). I use a Multicam 3000 and Enroute4. I'm sorry Janey, but I can only tell things how I see them. I am a VERY straight talker, so if I missed something, please inform me, but, since this is my post, I get to inform you..

Telling me "2 days after having the machine, I am already making profits" and also "it's not rocket science, it's EASY!" is exactly how I felt the first few weeks I ran it.. BUT, I must tell you.. You are still VERY inexperienced and it takes years to develop this skill. I have read every book out there on routing, spent many hours (40 hours on the clock a week for the last 3 years, plus countless hours off the clock, as well as time at my house studying..) I am STILL learning.

Your attitude is something else.. Yes, you are frustrated, but you need to vent it out a little differently. It seems that you had an attitude going into this.. When you're threatening payments because they hadn't given you something beforehand, complaining about the installer, complaining about the software.. You, in my opinion are the type of customer I would rather not sell a machine to. "Shower with kindness and you will be kindly rewarded" is the motto I always try to go for..

Enroute IS a ridiculously indepth piece of software.. You have not mastered it, I don't care what you think. I don't mean that in a mean spirited way, I am just telling you.. You have only scratched the surface. Do you know the correct speeds cutting 3/16" aluminum with a spiral upcut single edge 3/16" bit? what about 3/4" Hard Acrylic? Sintra? How long is your tool life? I have a 3/16" multi-purpose bit which, after a LONG time I have finally gotten to last upwards to a month.

It's insulting hearing you say "this is easy" over and over again.. It's not. It's REALLY not. An inexperienced person would be the only "router guy" that would ever say that. I have racked my brain almost every day trying to figure this machine out.. It's difficult.

I have received nothing but GREAT technical support over here. I also say "please and thank you" as well. Looking back to my first weeks here, I bet my tech (Dustin Reynolds - Multicam NW) cringed every time I called him with a stupid question.. Yet, he answered every dumb question I threw at him.. Every 5 minutes I'd be calling him. Now, we've become friends and bounce questions off each other.. That's a good relationship in my opinion.

I apologize that you aren't having any luck with the Chicago branch, but I would seriously look at your demeanor when talking, emailing or any other form of communication.. Digging holes you can't get out of sucks.. Hopefully they throw you a rope pretty soon.

- Sorry if this doesn't make any sense, I was bouncing back and forth between jobs while typing this.. Took about an hour to complete, and I am too lazy today to proof read.. So, it'll probably sound pretty ignorant.

GB2

Old Member
Just a quick thought here...I agree that your frustration is understandable but that your lashing out at Multicam is unwarranted. As is everywhere in the world, Multicam is only manufactured equipment managed by people, people like you and me, some good, some not so good. You apparently had a poor personal relationship with some employees and then lashed out at the company and their equipment, which I believe is actually very high quality equipment.

The other thing that struck me here is your frustration with utilizing EnRoute and expecting Multicam to teach you how to use it. Multicam does not make EnRoute and has nothing to do with it and has no obligation to teach you how to use it at all. You could have purchased any number of operating software packages and they would have no connection with any of them.

Joe Diaz

He just left yesterday...my head it reeling. He is an amazing artist. but he cannot quite drink as much coke as I can drink diet coke.

Couldn't have been this last weekend, he was here in Pontiac. I've got the mural to prove it. :thumb: And I'm almost positive he flew back. Now it is possible he landed in Lake Mills, WI sometime on Sunday to give you a one on one, but I'm guessing that is a stretch.

Actually now that I'm thinking about it, the guy is magic, It is possible he could be two places at once. That would explain a LOT.

Last edited:

briderx

Couldn't have been this last weekend, he was here in Pontiac. I've got the mural to prove it. :thumb: And I'm almost positive he flew back. Now it is possible he landed in Lake Mills, WI sometime on Sunday to give you a one on one, but I'm guessing that is a stretch.

Actually now that I'm thinking about it, the guy is magic, It is possible he could be two places at once. That would explain a LOT.

:popcorn:

Janey

Oy! Can somethings be taken out of context or what?

Sorry I brought anything up. I just wanted to vent a bit and share some issues I was having. I never knocked the machine and if I did somewhere please tell me...there are always issues with new equipment and they just need to be fixed. My focus was on the service or lack there of which others here have attested to similar issues with other dealers. And I will stand to the fact that the machine and the software is easy. And that the customer service stinks.

I never said I was a master of anything I said it can be done and you don't need to be freaked out by it. I am not writing g code...That was my point. Take it easy. CNC man of 3 years.

Joe - He came up on Sunday and left on Monday. Call him and ask him. Why would I lie about something so dumb as that?

Sorry I pissed so many off...geez...Well, I guess I started it. So how should I I finish it...

Joe Diaz

Joe - He came up on Sunday and left on Monday. Call him and ask him. Why would I lie about something so dumb as that?

You are probably right.

Sorry for any misunderstanding. When you said he was up for the weekend I assumed you meant all weekend. But like I said it is possible that he did stop by on Sunday. He then maybe flew out the next day.
Now it is possible he landed in Lake Mills, WI sometime on Sunday to give you a one on one...

It wouldn't surprise me that he took some time out to stop by and help out a fellow sign artist, He is that great of a guy!

synergy_jim

we love our Multicam. The service tech's have been good for the most part, but you have to keep an eye on them and make sure everything is fixed to your satisfaction for sure.

briderx

I'm just saying.. Your attitude seems very standoffish, even towards anyone here that doesn't agree with you. I'm starting to become a troll to this thread, so I will stop posting after this. I just don't think you are presenting yourself correctly to us, as well as to the Chicago Multicam (midwest?).

But, I do side with you on the fact that no matter what you say or how you act, they should still be taking care of you, as money talks.. And at 70 thousand something for the table, that's a pretty good chunk of money to throw at a machine for someone to disregard you. I am not pissed or upset with you at all.. You feel the way you do for a reason and I respect that. I just think if you flip the coin on them and even if they aren't standing up to their side of the bargain, be presentable and maybe they'll get the idea that you need taken care of.

Also, that disk you are talking about.. I have the same one. it's a cheap burned copy. I actually believe that's what SAi sends out.. Believe it or not. Is it the same one with the crappy logo attached to the face of the CD? Good material in there.

Just to make ammends, and to let you know that I probably stepped out of line in getting so defensive.. I will offer you some info for free. :)

http://www.screencast.com/users/MrEnRoute

Has videos and guides that helped me TREMENDOUSLY while learning. Also, if you join up on the SAi forums (http://www.saintl.biz/forum/default.asp) we give any and all info we possibly can to guide you through any problems you may come across.. Some smart people in there (Tom, Tim, NWCNC and TINMAN) just to name a few.. Good luck.

Fred (or another admin) if I stepped out of line by posting links, please delete them. Sorry!

iSign

Reference the olive branch...here is it...lets start over...lets get this right I can be your biggest advocate. Please call me. You know my number.

You call that an Olive branch? ...at the bottom of a long paragraph, in the 42nd post on your second b!+chfest thread? ... to me, that's maybe a fingernail scratch worth of bark off the olive branch... buried under the ferocious bite of the rest of your venomous posts...

...you really want to try the olive branch approach? Maybe a whole new thread that takes a little responsibility for your own attention (or lack thereof) to detail on your contract, regarding tool holders you did, or did not purchase, & little responsibility for your own attention to detail on your contract regarding tech support you did, or did not purchase... and a little responsibility for the effects of your communication methods that may (or may not) have contributed to the situation you are in with the Chicago branch representatives at this time, and a little responsibility for your own efforts to learn what you needed to learn when the technician was there, and to keep them there if the machine wasn't working yet.

I'm not saying you are not telling the truth here, & I'm not saying the Chicago office, or their techs didn't come up short... but I am saying that you came in here with both barrels blazing & Multicam is in the crosshairs, while you haven't accepted any responsibility for how you may have mishandled the process before you got here, and how you may be digging yourself in deeper since you got here. It sucks to be the unlucky one... but sometimes you have to rise above that fact to rise above it... right now you are playing the victim & wallowing in the "It sucks to be the unlucky one" role.

Are you ready to rise above it?

I'll tell you the guy who tries to put me in touch with good people & you can call him, give my name (Doug from Island Sign) ..and POLITELY ask him if he has any other resources you might consider for telephone support. One more suggestion... offer to pay for support. I don't know right now what my contract says, and of course i don't know what yours says... but I do know we both spent a lot on our 3000 series tables & I also know Mulitcam wants you to succeed. Sounds like the Chicago outfit may not be as customer service friendly, but at this point, if I was in your shoes... even if there were a fee required to set yourself up with better support options.... well, we both know there certainly are some costs involved in not getting adequate support.

Ken Rock is the sales department guy who has helped me. He is NOT technical support, and he is not your sales guy... but he IS an extremely knowledgable, friendly & professional individual. and the face of the company to me, which has made me a huge fan of the company!

So did you call Ken yet?

Also, I have seen posts like this in the past about the equipment I personally own, and I have picked up the phone and called the company and expressed my discontent that they wouldn't fix simple issues that they are responsible for, and if this is their new method, then I'lll consider their competitors equipment when I need additional machinery.

What happened when I did that? The company contacted the person within 1 hour, corrected his issues and he was back up and running.

We all have a voice, and when good customers call to back up people having issues, it does actually help.

By the way, I called Ken myself, & he called me back yesterday, although I missed the call.

Did I ask him to help you?
not directly, I offered him to do some damage control!

why did I do that?

...because of the way I see you & your posts. I don't know you, or your situation. I only know what I can discern from your posts. So, while I am not pretending to fully understand your situation, I can offer you a glimpse into what your situation may look like to others who read what you write, by telling you what it looks like to me.

To me, your initial posts in signs101 looked more like you were only here to attempt to damage MC's reputation, not here to find someone to help you. That is why I called him about damage control, instead of about helping you. I personally think you will be able to get help if you simply learn how to ask for it, & if necessary, offer to pay for it.

Did you call Ken, by the way?

Janey

(http://www.saintl.biz/forum/default.asp) we give any and all info we possibly can to guide you through any problems you may come across.. Some smart people in there (Tom, Tim, NWCNC and TINMAN) just to name a few.. Good luck.

Fred (or another admin) if I stepped out of line by posting links, please delete them. Sorry!

Those are fantastic links...only had time to read some of that stuff...but thanks so much for those.

Hey iSign...check out the post on the saiti.biz site above and read the post titled "multicam tech"...another person with the same issues only from another office...looks like that office stepped up to the plate and took care of of it. Very cool.

Janey

Where do I start with you iSign? So many questions so little time.

Some of the info I put on here like about the tool holders...that was really informational for others buying a CNC machine for the first time. As it is something to consider in the budget. I was an idiot cause I thought they would have come with the machine since I think the option for the auto tool changer was $10 or $12K I am not sure. And if I were selling CNC with and ATC I would have done a little upselling and sold the other 7 and made another $2250...but that is just me. And getting off course here.

As far as other things in the written contract...while I am an idiot there to as I only have what it written and one witness to the other things that were said verbally to me that they have not done. So I am screwed on the verbal promises I know...but it just another thing to consider when purchasing a CNC for the first time. Get it in writing! As some people are not good on their word.

Ken Rock? I missed that in your other posts...as I get a little burned out reading about your hatred for me. Can you be more specific to the state and or town I can find this individual and I would be happy to call him. I am just not sure what his relationship is.
I did leave a message last friday but that was for Ken the founder, don't have his last name in front of me. And that probably won't get me anywhere as it was in the general mailbox at his office Sage investments or something...

Paying for support? From MultiCam if your telling me that a month into this deal I have to pay for them to fix two warranty items that are not right on the machine and to pay for them to properly set it up and it make it so that it doesn't walk all over the floor then NO I have not offered to pay them. I will pay for outside service help before I give MultiCam more money for a machine that was like this the day it was installed. It does say in my contract that installation and setup is included...so that is something else to add in the next CNC purchase contract define what installation and setup means.

Shoot I gotta run...I have an appt in 20 minutes, hope that answers some of your questions iSign feel free to contact me anytime should have more. Peace, Janey

iSign

hatred? you writing about hatred??... and that determination is made how? ...oh through the misunderstanding of the written word? ...wow... maybe you don't hate multicam?

...well, Ken's location & his "relationship" was already provided. Sorry you're too busy or distracted to follow up on the advice you get..... which was given before any other comments you could ever construe as hatred... no wonder you come off like a drama queen more set on vengeful publicity than results... good advice, offered with good intentions get ignored... but any undesirable comments you don't like get exaggerated in your mind & posted about, while the good advice isn't even worth tracking down when reminded...

Am I saying you have to pay MC? ...No, I don't know what you'll have to do, but if you ask, instead of demand... maybe you will get the service the rest of us get... but while you were dropping the ball in reading & understanding your contract, or in ordering parts you later wished you ordered...maybe you dropped the ball in other areas, resulting in situations that you may need to take steps to resolve. As others have mentioned, maybe some (or all?) your problems trace back to software, that would not typically be MC's jurisdiction. Do they know enroute better than you? Of course they do! Will they help you with Enroute related questions & problems? ...well, they help me with them, so I don't see why they wouldn't help you too... well, OK... maybe I do see why.

have a good life.

dan.antes

Support is critical

Many of the large CNC companies are too big for their britches. They promise the world and deliver little or no support. Look at the CNCzone.com forums for all the lost souls with expensive assets that will not produce for them and it is obvious. Some of the smaller companies can offer great products with very personal support. I bought a Flexicam CNC 3 years ago and still get support any time I need it. I have instant message access through Google chat to the president of North American sales and get any issues I am having resolved within 24 hours or less. Although after the first 6 months I have had very little issues. Flexicam has made me feel like a member of the family. Their machine is awesome and their support is unparalleled among all of the other machine manufacturers I have experience with. I am not sure that your issue is due to a problem with the Multicam but it seems like they are not there for you. I think it is most likely an issue with importing your geometry into Enroute. I had some issues early one with importing geometry from Adobe Illustrator into Enroute. Flexicam helped me solve this issue quickly. I think this may be the issue and it is unfortunate that no one at Multicam understands the software well enough to support you. Try to import your geometry and convert it to arcs. The shaking movements you describe sounds very much like you are trying to cut high point count Plines at high speeds. Converting this geometry to arcs and cleaning them to a tolerance that is acceptable for your project should fix the problems. Private message (hopefully this forum allows that...excuse me I am new) me and I will help you correct this in Enroute. Enroute is very easy once you know the tools you need to use to get what you want. Fortunately for me I had Flexicam as my advocate to help me with this steep learning curve. Good luck!!!

grampa dan

When I bought my MultiCam CNC router I assumed I would be able to run it when the tech left after 3 days in my shop. I quickly learned that although I could certainly do some basic things I had far, far, far to go. My tech taught me the basics of the machine as per my contract. He even went further and showed me the basics of EnRoute software - probably as much as most signshops would normally use. I breezed through the MultiCam manual and flipped through the manual for EnRoute... how hard could it be?

On top of all that I didn't just want to use my machine like most other signmakers... simply cutting shapes. I wanted to build 3 dimensional objects, route textures and a hundred other things. How hard could it possibly be??

It turns out my MultiCam dealer knows their machines. And the machines are top notch quality. I did my homework before buying, and after all my months of research I bought what I felt was one of the better machines out there. After four years I have no regrets. But I get ahead of myself...

Back when I first got my MultiCam - even after three days with a tech I could BARELY turn the machine on and off. Although I could cut out shapes I was far, far from where I wanted to be. Thankfully I had no projects waiting on the router or planned for it in the near future. It turned out I would spend most of the first six months LEARNING about the 3D routing software. My MultiCam dealer and EnRoute rep helped immensely trhough that time. I simply created the files while my son-in-law Phoenix figured out how to run the files on the machine. When he left to form his own company six months later I had to suffer through the learning curve of actually running the CNC router. I quickly learned to use a CNC router effectively one has to do things methodically and slowly... not my usal way of operating. I LIKE TO GO FAST.

I did up dozens of gradually more complicated files, first in lightweight foam and eventually in Precision Board. Our first major project (non-paying) made the cover of SignCraft and a feature inside. It was the alphabet pieces we created to learn the software and the operation of the machine. Many more complicated files later we were ready to actually put some paying projects on the router. And the router performed flawlessly.

You can bet we seemed to break router bits more frequently on Friday late afternoons or through the weekends when we were short on time before a deadline. That's when the serious issues of how to make the software do what we wanted always seemed to surface too. It's the law - at least around our shop.

Did we have some issues with the machine... well sort of and our dealer was there to help. It turned out our power fluctuated sporadically locally... not MultiCam's problem... but they spent considerable time trying to figure out why those expensive fuses were blowing... and in the end put in some new (expensive) breakers on their nickel. For a while we had the auto tool changer pulling tools through the holder. They sent out a tech and he ran the machine through countless tool cycles trying to locate the problem... after a number of visits they determined it was my compressor turning on late sporadically with low airpressure only very occasionally. A simple turn of an adjusting screw on my equipment was the cure along with some complimentary tool holders to make me feel better. Once again it was above and beyond the call of duty.

They adjusted the parameters and dynamics of the router to perfectly suit my highly textured, wiggly routing style, allowing the machine to perform at much greater speeds than anyone had seen before... all at no cost and long after the warrantee had expired.

Each time I had an issue or needed help I had to take a deep breath before I phoned my MultiCam dealer, realising that my issues and emergencies were not his. There was no need for panic on his end. Sometimes his techs were out for days on an install or helping another customer with training. While I was certainly tempted to get impatient and perhaps even flustered or upset... it wasn't his problem... it was mine.

I had to remember that I am not always in my office. I go out on calls, I do installs, I sometimes take long lunches or even vacations.

I also have to remember how I feel about customers who on the rare occasion are not very patient or polite about the service I offer (even if I think it is stellar!) I have to remember that even I have bad days sometimes where things don't go right or when I simply can't figure out the best solution to a problem despite my best efforts.

Age and experience has taught me that patience and a kind reply will get you a LOT further than the opposite. Threatening lawers, lawsuits and calling names seldom got me what I was looking for although I thought I deserved what I was asking for. Too many times I found that flying off the handle meant I only had to opologize later, hopefully salvaging the situation where we could shake hands and start over in a civil and friendly manner.

After four years of intense operation of our router and the fabulous EnRoute software I feel I am finally starting to get a handle on it or at least not faking it quite as bad as when I started. Much of my knowlege came after I started to teach our Router Magic Workshops and had guest instructors from EnRoute help out. I've been privileged to have Jeff Hartman here in my studio for three of those workshops. He and his brother wrote (and own) the program. A more knowlegeable teacher we could not wish for!

All that being said I feel I still have far to go. I'm jsut glad I have the best tools, (my MultiCam Router and EnRoute Software) and the best support to help me along my way.

Its my hope that Janey can be patient as she sorts out and talks over her issues with MultiCam. It's my hope that MultiCam can overlook Janey's impatience and frustrations as they sort out the fine tuning of her router.

I know from personal experience that Janey has bought a first class machine. The software will do all the things she wants from her machine. Janey just has to tough out the learning curve of the machine and the software... while already running full blast at the jobs she is already turning out. Although, in my personal experience Janey is a little impatient, thankfully she is also a quick learner. I have no doubt she and MultiCam will sort things out. I have no doubt Janey will become a leader in the routing industry and I look forward to great things from someone who has the passion and perseverance to pull it off.

And for the record I did spend about 10 hours in Janey's shop, Sunday afternoon and Monday morning after the Pontiac Mural meet. We covered a lot of ground in that short time. Talking with Janey is like me looking in a mirror... she goes more than a hundred miles an hour... soaking up everything in sight... impatient to learn, frantic to try it herself... it's frightening! :) This lady is a ball of energy who immediately wants to jump to light speed... what can possibly go wrong... :)

Have fun with your MultiCam...

-grampa dan

andy

Automatic tool change is THE most expensive upgrade you can add to your new CNC router.... after paying an extra 12 grand is it REALLY that unreasonable to expect an auto tool changer which can actually be used as advertised?

If Multicam are upset about the public bashing they've had then what did they expect? Sell someone an 8 station ATC and deliver what is in effect a standard single head with 7 empty stations and what do you expect? Can Janey use her ATC system? NO. Did Janey order an 8 station ATC or did she ask for a single head machine with 7 empty cup holders?

Multicam can hide behind whatever terms and conditions they like but no sane person is going to accept that 12 grand's worth of ATC system can be supplied without EVERYTHING needed to make it work.