• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Municipal Morons...

jiarby

A Nearby Local Municiality™ (NLM) has built a banner bracket system onto an overpass... they use it to advertise local parks & rec stuff, upcoming events, etc...

My fave was the "Shop Local" at holiday time, with a touching message about how buying local supports the people in your community.

Where did they get the banner? Internet!
Anyway...

NOW, they want to re-use a banner for a recurring event, but the date & the sponsors have changed. So, they want to apply TWO printed vinyl patches: a 3x16 patch (that's FEET, not inches) and another one that is just inder 2ft x 16 ft.

Yep.. they are going to put almost 5 ft of vinyl on an 8 x 16 ft banner.

The best part:
They want it to be vinyl (3651) and UN-LAMINATED, UN-MASKED. They will be applying it to an old banner.

HOW can this be cheaper than just re-printing the whole banner?

I am a 3rd party to this transaction. I am doing it wholesale for another guy that is selling it to them. Why didn't they call Original Vendor™??

I wish I could make a youTube video of the city guys trying to apply a 16' patch to this banner! TWICE!

When I see it hit the bridge I will take a photo.

Attachments

• patches.jpg
    patches.jpg
    16.3 KB · Views: 66

Billct2

Yep, if they had talked to someone local like you they may have had the benefit of your experience setting it up. We have a similar banner(not as big) and we actually made it in two parts. One banner is "permanent" and the other switches out.

Mainframe

The town has 60 street banners they bought online, I work under them every day, my wife wanted to sell & move it when they put them up, I told her it is everywhere-unbelieveable
plus, the ones they bought suck big time, can't even tell what is on them.

petepaz

isn't the gov. great...and smart too!
maybe a year ago (give or take )NJ had to have some decals made (i think for the lic.plates or something like that and they farmed it out of state....i can think of 5 or 6 companies off the top of my head that could have done that job in state, you know where there isn't much business left because they are forcing everyone out with their high taxes (sorry this may have gone off track alittle but you get the point just like not getting the banner from a local supplier)

jiarby

I do not care that they buy banners in another state.... just that it seems hypocritical to do that when the banner says "Buy Local" (not like us)

Now they are in a bind and need something to fix a screwup fast... who do they call? The local guys. We're happy for the work.

Pat Whatley

Yep, happens here, too. Our city just put in a huge wayfinding sign system. There are several large shops in town struggling to get by right now.....the city slapped them in the face and bought the signs in a different city.

Cross Signs

We Make Them Hot and Fresh Everyday
This is the kind of intelligence you run into when dealing with people...spending other peoples money

TyrantDesigner

Art! Hot and fresh.
In a town I used to live in, they constantly tried to get banners like that on the rail road overpass. They ended up stopping that practice since the local homeless were stealing them and using them as tents.

omgsideburns

patch is easy to apply..

but not the best thing they could do.

my boss tells those kind of people to "call the person who did it for you last time!"

Colin

My fave was the "Shop Local" at holiday time, with a touching message about how buying local supports the people in your community.

Where did they get the banner? Internet!

Have a friend write a letter to the editor of your local newspaper about this inconsistency.

iSign

agree... not at all easy... I would never try it that size with printed unmasked 3651 only, on a used (read "wrinkled") banner...

binki

Our city has a slogan of 'Shop Upland' but they have a contract that guarantees that they will buy their banners from a place in Riverside which not only is not in Upland but it isn't even in our county. Now how dumb is that? I know if 8 businesses within half a mile of city hall that do banners and there are many more, within the city limits.

MikeSTK

Dawns Vinyl Designs
Buy locally

Tell them no problem! All you need is the banner "spec sheet" to make sure the material you give them will work with that banner stock.

All you need is to talk to the "local" guy who made it to get the info.

I would think a public meeting would be the place to inquire for this fictional information.

Thankfully our local people inquire with us if they even think we can supply something they buy. They tell us flat out if we are anywhere in the ballpark of previous pricing we can have the work.

The super best part? They order nothing online. They always find the geographically closest supplier they can as long as they are not crazy high priced.

jiarby

****Update****

Job got the brakes put onto it Friday, as a new sponsor came in at the last second..

So I am looking over the job... and they auto-traced one of the logos. I guess they could not identify the font.

Times New Roman!! stretched taller, of course!

LOL!

Attachments

• times.jpg
    times.jpg
    21.9 KB · Views: 51