• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Mural Outside Sign 4 X 8, Material, Process, Help Please.

jviola

I'm a pencil Artist who is trying to do a job for a customer up the street who owns a fish n chips place. I did a sign for him a couple of years ago and don't remember what type of wood I used. I used One Shot paint and it's faded. My research has found that One Shot isn't that good anymore and they changed their ingredients. I am looking to find out what type of wood, primer, paint, sealer and materials I'll need to paint a 4 X 8 piece of plywood. He wants to mount it outside in the grass and have me paint adults and children on it, like a farm theme and then cut the heads out so parents and their kids can put there heads through and take pictures.

I was thinking of pricing this at $1,000.00, any advice and help would be greatly appreciated.

jviola

Thanks

I appreciate you guys responding but, I'd appreciate it more if I could get some actual answers so I know what to use. Again, I'm a pencil Artist, so, just trying to get a job done right.

I know you skilled experienced painters probably think it's silly questions, but, how about doing me a favor, "today" on memorial day. I'm a Marine Corps Vet, from back in the 90's. How about a memorial day gift for me guys...? Could I get some help please.

Thanks
JV

$2850.

$375.

Joe Diaz

Don't use wood, go aluminum, and use acrylics. I would suggest Nova Color. You have to order it though and pay attention to light fastness and the type you are ordering. Better yet do a search for Nova before you order it. There is a few things you need to know, but it's worth it. It's a great paint system. If you don't want to do that, We have had good luck with Porter. Your outdoor acrylics are going to hold up better, and Aluminum is going to last longer. You'll have an all around better product. There is going to be a bit of a learning curve if you are used to working with oneshot on wood though. Just so you know.

jviola

Aluminum

How do you cut holes in aluminum?

Don't use wood, go aluminum, and use acrylics. I would suggest Nova Color. You have to order it though and pay attention to light fastness and the type you are ordering. Better yet do a search for Nova before you order it. There is a few things you need to know, but it's worth it. It's a great paint system. If you don't want to do that, We have had good luck with Porter. Your outdoor acrylics are going to hold up better, and Aluminum is going to last longer. You'll have an all around better product. There is going to be a bit of a learning curve if you are used to working with oneshot on wood though. Just so you know.

Joe Diaz

It should go without saying you would need the right blade for cutting aluminum of course. It should only cost a few bucks at the most.

CES020

Thank you for your service!

I wouldn't put a kids faces through aluminum sheet metal.

There are a number of products. If you want to use plywood, get a marine grade plywood (it has no voids in the layers for water to get in and freeze), prime and paint it and you'll be fine for what it is. You can get pre primed sign boards, like MDO or RTG boards. People on this forum make outdoor signs from it all the time. As long as it's sealed up tight, you should be fine for a medium use product.

I don't do much painting, but Ronan paint seems to get better reviews than One Shot these days.

Hopefully that helps some.

OldPaint

i really have a problem here......but i guess that because you are an "artist".........it dont mean you have any CONSTRUCTION SKILLS!!!!!
HERES AN IDEA.... find yourself a PERSON WITH BUILDING CONSTRUCTION KNOWLEDGE.... let them do the cutting......and you stick to painting the blanks they cut out))))))

visual800

Since your new to this just cut thru all the crap and I would suggest this. Use 1/2" pvc and put a digital print on top then cut hole out. Quick easy done, no painting, no aluminum cutting peoples faces and its easy.

welcome to the new age! This will save you time, effort and money. By the time you paint, cut, seal, sand , blah , blah , blah you could be done with this. You are spending too much time thinking about something that could be done.

jviola

Thank you. I really prefer to use wood, easier to work with and safer, like you said. When I prime it, is there anything else I should put on the sides to seal it (Sealer) or no? I wasn't sure about the paint, One Shot is expensive and isn't as good anymore. Someone said use water based house paint, someone said Acrylic, Ronan, etc...? Should I paint a clear coating of some type of sealer over the whole thing when I'm done? I was told by a guy that it actually intensifies and attracts the sun more to the sign and does more bad than protecting the paint from fading?

What do you think about pricing on this job? 1,000.00 or more? Thanks a lot for your help.

Thank you for your service!

There are a number of products. If you want to use plywood, get a marine grade plywood (it has no voids in the layers for water to get in and freeze), prime and paint it and you'll be fine for what it is. You can get pre primed sign boards, like MDO or RTG boards. People on this forum make outdoor signs from it all the time. As long as it's sealed up tight, you should be fine for a medium use product.

I don't do much painting, but Ronan paint seems to get better reviews than One Shot these days.

Hopefully that helps some.

Joe Diaz

OH jeez. There are multiple products to place around the hole that would help if a person were afraid there kid might slit his or her throat on dull aluminum.:rolleyes: And the labor to do so wouldn't take any longer than sealing the edges of a wood product. I simply recommended it because it last longer than any wood product on the market today. The OP seems concerned with longevity when they mentioned the part about oneshot not being what it used to be. Also, you wouldn't need to prime aluminum, just scuff the surface and start painting. Thick and dense enough PVC would work better as well.

visual800

Since your new to this just cut thru all the crap and I would suggest this. Use 1/2" pvc and put a digital print on top then cut hole out. Quick easy done, no painting, no aluminum cutting peoples faces and its easy.

welcome to the new age! This will save you time, effort and money. By the time you paint, cut, seal, sand , blah , blah , blah you could be done with this. You are spending too much time thinking about something that could be done.

bob

It's better to have two hands than one glove.
How do you cut holes in aluminum?

The very same way you'd cut them in wood. Drill a hole and start a jigsaw from there.

You don't want to use aluminum unless you want to slice and dice those sticking their heads through, you want to use an aluminum composite like, say, 6mm Nudo board. The stuff is cheap enough, well nigh indestructible, and, under normal usage, should last well into the next ice age.

You you can deal with this material just as if it were wood. No special blades or setups. Once you cut the holes you'll want to finish them with a router using a1/8" round over bit. Both sides.

OldPaint

you tryin to do this????? then use 1/2 or 3/4 MDO...........look for RONAN PAINT... or use a exterior gloss house paint.

Attachments

• heehaw.jpg
    heehaw.jpg
    14.5 KB · Views: 113

CES020

you tryin to do this????? then use 1/2 or 3/4 MDO...........look for RONAN PAINT... or use a exterior gloss house paint.

Seems like that's exactly what I said.

No need to seal it afterwards. But you do need to be aware that if it's sitting on the ground and getting dragged around, it's going to scuff the paint and primer off the bottom edge, which will allow water to wick up into it and cause it to fail over time. So you'll have to deal with that some how. Just be aware of it.

As long as it's primed all over, you shouldn't need to seal the edges.

I also agree, PVC would be a great choice. Then you don't have to worry about any of those issues. It cuts like butter with anything you'd cut wood with as well. Just make sure the paint you use bites into it well.

I don't know your market it what you'll have in it on the painting, so I have no way to know if $1,000 is okay or not.

jviola

I don't have a router, thought that sanding and priming the holes would be good enough, easy and quick. I'd use PVC but have no idea what type of paint I would use on it and how long it will last. I'd also do a print and just apply it but it seems that would be very expensive, yes?

Not sure what my Market has to do with prepping and painting a 4 X 8 Sign with a theme/artwork. Maybe from an Artists perspective it's different than just painting a solid color.