• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Mural Outside Sign 4 X 8, Material, Process, Help Please.

CES020

I don't have a router, thought that sanding and priming the holes would be good enough, easy and quick. I'd use PVC but have no idea what type of paint I would use on it and how long it will last. I'd also do a print and just apply it but it seems that would be very expensive, yes?

Not sure what my Market has to do with prepping and painting a 4 X 8 Sign with a theme/artwork. Maybe from an Artists perspective it's different than just painting a solid color.

Printing it wouldn't be that expensive, no. I've never painted a themed/artwork panel, so yes, it's different to me than painting a solid color. A solid color can be painted in minutes. I imagine your hand painted artwork is going to take longer than that.

You have a lot of options here. Have it printed and laminated, have someone print it directly on the substrate on a flatbed printer, prime and paint MDO or PVC. I'm not sure there are any wrong options in there. It's just deciding which way you want to go. There are merchant members on this forum that can make it all complete for you and you don't have to do much of anything other than submit the artwork. It'll be a lot less than $1000 to have it done, so you might make good money by doing little work, and end up with a really nice, long lasting product.

jviola

I understand. Thank you for your time.

Printing it wouldn't be that expensive, no. I've never painted a themed/artwork panel, so yes, it's different to me than painting a solid color. A solid color can be painted in minutes. I imagine your hand painted artwork is going to take longer than that.

You have a lot of options here. Have it printed and laminated, have someone print it directly on the substrate on a flatbed printer, prime and paint MDO or PVC. I'm not sure there are any wrong options in there. It's just deciding which way you want to go. There are merchant members on this forum that can make it all complete for you and you don't have to do much of anything other than submit the artwork. It'll be a lot less than $1000 to have it done, so you might make good money by doing little work, and end up with a really nice, long lasting product.

sardocs

I would do this with 3/4" MDO provided weight isn't an issue. Cut out the shape, sand the edges smooth, really smooth, especially the face holes. I would use an oil based primer then a couple coats of Marine enamel. OneShot or Ronan for the lettering and pictorial work. I think this makes a much nicer sign than on composite or solid aluminum. Handpainted designs look way nicer on a thick wooden substrate. Aluminum is cold, flat, impersonal. Wood is warm, nice to touch, and just looks right for hand-produced signage. $1000 sounds fair to me.

jviola

I've done some other hand painted one's for him but I used some type of clear coated sealer thinking it would keep the paint from lasting longer, but it still faded a bit. He really wants the custom effect of me hand painted it. I could have it printed and glued but I need to make money too. ;-). He doesn't want my artwork printed though.

What kind of brushes would you use for the pictorial work? Would you use anything to thin the paint out too to make it smooth out and get more paint from it?

I would do this with 3/4" MDO provided weight isn't an issue. Cut out the shape, sand the edges smooth, really smooth, especially the face holes. I would use an oil based primer then a couple coats of Marine enamel. OneShot or Ronan for the lettering and pictorial work. I think this makes a much nicer sign than on composite or solid aluminum. Handpainted designs look way nicer on a thick wooden substrate. Aluminum is cold, flat, impersonal. Wood is warm, nice to touch, and just looks right for hand-produced signage. $1000 sounds fair to me.

sardocs

When I do pictorial work I use a combination of flats, quills, fitches, artist brushes, air brushes, and plastic bags wadded up and dipped in paint. Depends on the effect needed.

TimToad

Many years ago, I used to have an account doing hand painted panels for a playground equipment company that had holes of different sizes all over them. I used 3/4" MDO, Ronan Bulletin colors ( lead-free of course..... ) and in the case of the ones that had blending, Smith's Cream or an airbrush. The holes were gone over with a round over bit and a router. Any small gaps were filled sanded smooth and double primed before painting.

As with any painted surface subject to abrasion, sharp corners or edges and improper priming are the cause of the vast majority of paint failures.

You also can get some of the Omega board edge trim material, heat it a little and epoxy it in place.

Good luck and thank you for your service.