• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Murals for customer to Install

hdjames

Hello everyone,
Just wanted to thank everyone first from this form for being so helpful. We are looking to venture into mural printing where our customers will install murals themselves. We are experienced in large decal printing but are looking to offer murals for our customers. So we were just looking for suggestion on best work flow for this type of production.

Overlap needed for best instillation?
best cutting process?
Rip Software Setting?
Any other tips?

Here's our technology that we currently have for printshop
HP Latex 360"
Flexi Rip Software
Media: Phototex Material
Graphitec 60 inch cutter

oksigns

When applicable, I suggest a 1" overlap that can then be trimmed for a seamless transition. There are some installs, like silicon seamless windows, that should just be cut to fit.

I am curious though about best cutting practices/equipment for this as I am liking panels that are precut- I don't know if there is a proficient way of doing this.

GypsyGraphics

by customers, do you mean sign folk/installers or end customers?
it sounds like you mean the end customer. if so, have you had experience with that? what happens when they blow the install, are you completely absolved of any responsibility once the product leaves your hands?

i'm sure most people could easily install a small cut graphic, but i'd worried, even with good instructions, if they could do a decent job themselves.

my best advice would be, cover yourself in your contract. make sure you're not responsible for a graphic that doesn't stick, whether installed poorly or to a surface that wasn't well suited for the material used.

by customers, do you mean sign folk/installers or end customers?
it sounds like you mean the end customer. if so, have you had experience with that? what happens when they blow the install, are you completely absolved of any responsibility once the product leaves your hands?

i'm sure most people could easily install a small cut graphic, but i'd worried, even with good instructions, if they could do a decent job themselves.

my best advice would be, cover yourself in your contract. make sure you're not responsible for a graphic that doesn't stick, whether installed poorly or to a surface that wasn't well suited for the material used.

Yea, my guess is that most 'end customers' would blow the install even with instructions. A couple weeks ago I bought 2 apple tress and 1 cherry tree. They said for $30/ per hour they would deliver and plant the trees for me and if they did this then, they are covered under warranty in the event they die. So, kind of the same thing, they are experts at planting trees and use the proper methods, just like with murals, it takes someone experienced to put these up especially if they have seams in them I'm good at murals, apples trees... not so much :)

copythat

Gypsy is correct

I have to say. I don't want any issues coming from a client saying the product didn't stick, peeling etc... Unless it's a small space 4' x 8' I would suggest when doing panels is to offer the install services and make a little more. This way you ad some value to your bill.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Home Depot, Lowes and just about any national paint company already offers this. You pick out from 1000's of styles, they send away and you got yourself some customer wall paper or wall hanging or whatever application you want. They offer up a multitude of vinyls for the proper fit. I believe a 1/4" overlap is what they use. Not sure on that. The contracts are written that you..... the end-user are responsible for all application failures, absolving the manufacturer from any blame. Therefore, according to the paint already on the wall or whatever contaminants might be on the wall, you are free and clear.

My biggest worry would be color matching and people not wanting the color you might send them. That could turn into some mighty hefty back-n-forth-ness that will not cover your costs. Make sure you can deliver anything on a dime and give 9¢ change if needed. Reputations will either make you or break you on a deal like this.