• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Mutoh 1204 banding and white spots

gottogo

mutoh 1204
tried kapco, oracal, 3m vinyl
all different types of profiles, settings
head 2 years old, dampers
running bulk jet best 440ml cartriges
pf adjustment made
encoder, t bar cleaned
new cap top
cleaned, regreaed rails, lubed bearings

Still having a problem with horizontal banding and white dots. Help a brother out!!

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• 20160528_113851_zpsht02levu.jpg
    20160528_113851_zpsht02levu.jpg
    29.9 KB · Views: 887
  • 20160528_113734_zpswbtxdazq.jpg
    20160528_113734_zpswbtxdazq.jpg
    36.9 KB · Views: 689
  • 20160528_111829_zpserfguhts.jpg
    20160528_111829_zpserfguhts.jpg
    18 KB · Views: 758
  • 20160528_112152_zpsvwtybo5a.jpg
    20160528_112152_zpsvwtybo5a.jpg
    20.2 KB · Views: 657
  • 20160528_112248_zpsbsqozavr.jpg
    20160528_112248_zpsbsqozavr.jpg
    28.4 KB · Views: 655
  • 20160528_113645_zpsa8xntauk.jpg
    20160528_113645_zpsa8xntauk.jpg
    14.5 KB · Views: 664
  • 20160528_112102_zpsxskxmrpg.jpg
    20160528_112102_zpsxskxmrpg.jpg
    24.6 KB · Views: 681

gottogo

Seems like only banding in lighter colors, spotting in darker colors.

attachment.php

Attachments

• 20160528_121648_zpsxyhrccca.jpg
    20160528_121648_zpsxyhrccca.jpg
    21.3 KB · Views: 637
  • 20160528_121627_zpsb5parpuj.jpg
    20160528_121627_zpsb5parpuj.jpg
    15.2 KB · Views: 644

inkjet frank

Is the issue mostly in cyan / light blue colors? Try using a digital microscope and see if your getting satellite dots. You can check the test pattern under a microscope to see if your dots are breaking apart and creating satellite dots. It might look like the picture attached. I have had this issue in the pastand had to change the printhead voltage.

attachment.php

Attachments

• dots.jpg
    dots.jpg
    46.8 KB · Views: 656

gottogo

Is the issue mostly in cyan / light blue colors? Try using a digital microscope and see if your getting satellite dots. You can check the test pattern under a microscope to see if your dots are breaking apart and creating satellite dots. It might look like the picture attached. I have had this issue in the past and had to change the printhead voltage.
dots.PNG

Thanks for the reply. Can printhead voltage even be considered on a 1204? I would check, but don't have a digital microscope handy. I get solid blacks, but with some satellites when using a heavier inked profile, reds look ok, blue, cyan is probably the worst along with green. Although everything is functioning properly, these prints keep getting tossed in the garbage:(

inkjet frank

You can try different ink profiles / types within the 1204 settings that might help. Seems like the biggest issue is any color with cyan as the dominant color?

gottogo

You can try different ink profiles / types within the 1204 settings that might help. Seems like the biggest issue is any color with cyan as the dominant color?

I've tried none less then 20 different profiles with all different types of heat settings, wave patterns etc... although some profiles with higher pass mask the problem, less noticeable. It's still a problem and can't let this type of quality pass Qc.

I would like to find a solution to the problem, so I can use any type of profile like I use too with perfect results. These machines are rather simple and these same type of problems exist on all makes and models at times. I need to find the root of the problem. What I don't want to do is buy one part at a time and cross my fingers.

floater302

The white spots could be dust on the vinyl, if the vinyl is exposed for a day I always wipe down the showing surface of the vinyl, and the banding have you tried quality 4? and maybe your head needs to be realigned.

gottogo

I'll look at alignment of head. I'm also leaning towards a new pf encoder disc and pf sensor. Has anyone had syptoms and corrected them by replacement?

gottogo

Ok.. i've dug a little deeper. Although having a perfect nozzle check from operating mode and service mode. The detailed nozzle check from service mode looks as follows. Could this be the source of why I'm getting banding in my cyan....green..etc...yellow and magenta look perfect.

20160531_064817.jpg 20160531_064713.jpg

floater302

Ok.. i've dug a little deeper. Although having a perfect nozzle check from operating mode and service mode. The detailed nozzle check from service mode looks as follows. Could this be the source of why I'm getting banding in my cyan....green..etc...yellow and magenta look perfect.

attachment.php
attachment.php
What print pattern are you using? never are all my nozzle firing at once and I'm using super fine and wave on quality 4

gottogo

What print pattern are you using? never are all my nozzle firing at once and I'm using super fine and wave on quality 4
That is a nozzle check from service mode menu.

I've tried every quality,every graphic, every wave pattern. Still have banding in cyan, basically all colors depending on what profile is used. Only way I can hide banding is if I print 1440x1440, quality 1 error diffusion dither type. Printing at 1440 is worhtless, it takes forever to print same goes for a fine, fuzz wave. The other problem is when I use such a profile ad mentioned above. I get the fisheye,satellites since the ink is so heavy.
I'm at a loss here.

Kathi Hauser

Sign Girl
Got to go -
If it were a larger machine I would suggest doing a total alignment to see if it is a slant issue.
But the 1204 is hard mounted.
Has there been damage?
Otherwise I cant imaging this being the problem.

Banding is usually a feed issue if your nozzles are all firing.
Clean that PF encoder well with alcohol.
check the user type you are using and do a PF adjust for that user type.

I know I will get banding on certain media, but I see you said you already changed it.

I agree with someone above...the specks look like dust

gottogo

Got to go -
If it were a larger machine I would suggest doing a total alignment to see if it is a slant issue.
But the 1204 is hard mounted.
Has there been damage?
Otherwise I cant imaging this being the problem.

All pf adjustments were made, media type, etc..
Banding is usually a feed issue if your nozzles are all firing.
Clean that PF encoder well with alcohol.
check the user type you are using and do a PF adjust for that user type.

I know I will get banding on certain media, but I see you said you already changed it.

I agree with someone above...the specks look like dust

Well after having a mutoh technician out and speaking with several others. This is the conclusion:
Being able to print Cmyk as opposed to variable dot cmyk
Banding issues masked by a 1440 profile
Having to use a specific dither type
White dots were a result of a heavier inked profile
All lead back to the service mode testing. The tiny droplets or smaller nozzles are worn out on the dx5 and just not working as they once did. I didn't want to believe it, buy these are all signs of electonically challenged head that's worn out.
The head needs a replacement.