• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Mutoh 1614 troubles

cmwheeler

Looking for help with our Mutoh 1614. I will try to list step by step what was done to the printer. The initial problem was one complete yellow channel was not printing when doing a nozzle check. We changed the yellow damper, and the same channel still was missing from nozzle check. We called for service, when the tech arrived he put in a new damper and maintenance station and all was well. The next day we printed about 70 lineal ft and noticed yellow ink running out of a hole in the bottom of the printer chassis below the ink cartridges. Removed covers and found ink was coming out around the sub tank area, had saturated the pad underneath and dripped off the edge onto the bottom of the chassis and about a 4-5" puddle under the printer. Called the tech and they said it may be a one time over charge of the sub tank, print some more to see if it continued. We continued printing and after about 6' the printer started printing heavy black from edge to edge of material. Called Tech they came back in and changed head, we printed a 2 foot test print and all looked good. The next day we printed about 10' and the printer started printing the same black from edge to edge. Called tech they came back in and changed head again and a blown fuse on the main board. Tech could not get printer to communicate with computer thru network connection so they replaced the main board. Printed a couple ft and all was well. Next day we printed 10' of material and cancelled job due to banding and the wave pattern marks that came and went in the print. Called tech, we adjusted page feed, started print, this time it printed about 2 ft, started printing heavy black then a 74cr current error. Ripped and sent job again 3 or 4 times with same result except it started doing it after less and less print. Now when we turn on the machine if the carriage is on the capping station it will go thru cleaning cycle then throw a 74cr current error when the carriage passes the middle of the printer during the media initial, or if the head is on the left of the machine when powered up it throws the same error about 2-3 seconds after powered up. Have also replaced the cr motor and we replaced the encoder strip. They are coming in again to change the trailing cables, main board, and cr board. I was hoping someone had an idea that would help. Sorry for the long post tried not to leave out any clues.

Last edited:

CS-SignSupply-TT

I am sorry, but it sounds like he is simply replacing parts based on a checklist, rather than trouble-shooting and tracing to find and fix the problem. What does Mutoh Tech Support say?

cmwheeler

They are "working in the background" with GEI. That's all I've been told, I'm trying to stay as professional as possible. I wouldn't wish this on any one but I was hoping maybe someone here had a similar problem. I would welcome any advice. Thanks

cmwheeler

They have not replaced those, only the ones from the CR board to the head. Should replace all three while we are at it?

Robert M

x2

I agree with a cable change. We had a printer the would print fine without the top long cover over the trailing cable. When the cover was reinstalled it would short out the cable and cause all kinds of print problems. No visable damage to the cable, just had some bad wires inside it from all that bending.

cmwheeler

Tech changed cables today, no change. He also changed cr board and put in a new main board (2nd new one). He thinks its the encoder reader. Will be back next Tuesday when part comes in. Machine won't get thru power up sequence to see if cables may have helped. Is my situation normal? They have been working on this machine for over 4 weeks and parts/labor/call out was over $10k before this call.

Stealth Ryder

If it will not boot up there is a device bad somewhere in the system. On the MB start unplugging devices one art a time, start with the CR motor, try boot up, if no then plug it back in and try the PF Motor, if it boots up then you know... Keep doing this unril you find the device/sensor causing the issue. I just did one today and it turned out the Head was shorted, took me less than an hour... I still think cables based on what you have posted but I promise if you troubleshoot device by device you will find it... These things are really simple if you isolate each device from the machine...

Remeber this, as it is booting up it turns on/checks each motor, sensor, switch in an order. If one fails, you will get a short (power down) or error... Example: If it will not boot up and the Head is the issue... Unplug the Head Cables from the MB, It will now boot up but error on the Head... You just proved the Head was shorted...

Last edited:

cmwheeler

If I move the head over the capping station and power on it will go thru cleaning then traverse toward center as normal but stops with with the 74 cr error code befor getting to middle of machine. If I move the head to left of center and power on the readout will spell " ini then same error code before it gets any further. If the head is a foot to the left of the capping station when powered up the head slowly traverses to capping station, cleaning, and errors when headed towards the middle of machine. I didn't want to skip the detail that may be the key. Again thanks

Stealth Ryder

Error 74 CR simply means something is prohibiting/impeading proper movement of the CR Assy. Could be a bad CR Motor, could be a bad Encoder Strip and/or Sensor, could be dirty or worn raceways and/or bearings on the CR Assy, could be as simple as something hanging down touching the CR Assy as it moves... It could be a bad mainboard... It should be easy to find...

cmwheeler

After the second service call I did talk to another service company, initial estimate was 7K, said they would have to start over. So your advice is dead on, no second trips.