• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Mutoh 1624 keeps powering on and off

InProGuy

Printer keeps restarting/initializing on start up, during idle and printing. Spoke with Mutoh customer service and they recommended checking for loose connections… reseated all the obvious conections. No results

Had a tech come and suggested problem with power board and/or heater control board. Ordered both. Switched out power board no results. However new problem showed up "S/C Read Err" and then "Broken Chip".

Heater control board arrived from back order and changed, still no results.

Machines been down for over a month now... any thoughts?

Pitzu

I would check in this order:
1. Proper electrical grounding for the computer and printer (very important)
2. Power cable with improper contacts in the plug (even if it looks ok, I would change it anyway, doesn't cost much)
3. The power button (problem with contacts inside the push button switch)
4. Fuses with improper contacts or oxidized in the fuse holder (on the main board)
5. Ink on electrical contacts, plugs or cables (mostly under the maintenance station or around the cartridges).The ink can be quite corrosive.
The Mutoh maintenance station can be very messy, splashing ink all over the place. The Epson GS6000 cleaning unit is a better idea (not so messy).
6. See if you don't have a problem with the electrical outlet in the wall or with the extension cord (if you have one).
7. If above didn't solve your problem, try an UPS unit, you might have power fluctuations in the building.

About the "S/C Read Err" and then "Broken Chip" you can look here:

Mutoh VJ1624 [KCMY] S/C Read Error
Valuejet 1604 (kcmy) S/c Read Error

VanderJ says that the heater board manages the smart card decryption and since you've changed it, might have a firmware version compatibility problem. I've read about this problem caused by firmware update on Mutoh.
If the first link solution doesn't work ...I would put the old heater board back, since it's not the problem and try to eliminate the ones I mention above. You might eliminate the "S/C Read Err" and then "Broken Chip" message on the way.

Hope it helps.

Last edited: