• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Mutoh Bulk System - Generic Ink Recommendations

lbpalm

I have a Mutoh bulk ink system on a VJ1624.
I'd like to try some generic ink bags; does anyone have an experience-based recommendation for a quality replacement that will save a few bucks?
Thanks in advance..

Antnee

We get our bulk ink from Premier Colour in California. They sell Bordeaux ink and it works awesome! They are a sponsor on this page.

I have a Mutoh bulk ink system on a VJ1624.
I'd like to try some generic ink bags; does anyone have an experience-based recommendation for a quality replacement that will save a few bucks?
Thanks in advance..

FatCat

Had been using JetBest for over 4+ years in a Mutoh 1204, 1604 and 1624. Just made the switch to STS ink last fall. STS is made in America and ship out of Florida. Great guys, very helpful - their ink has a little less smell than JetBest, both are good inks and never had to do any recalibration, etc. We run out of bulk ink tanks and direct tubing cartridges like these: Bulk ink supply system for Mutoh with Smart chip socket for VJ1614 / 1624 / 1638 | eBay

lbpalm

- Does this system retain a smart card?
If so, any read issues on the 3rd party cards?
Thanks again.

FatCat

If you have a Mutoh, then to my knowledge you still have to use smart cards. Most 3rd party ink suppliers either throw them in, or will charge you $5 - $7/ea for them. They work pretty good most of the time, but it is in your best interest to keep a handful of each color in stock. I recently had a problem where 4 out of 6 cards I had were bad, that was definitely not the norm, just saying don't count on having 1-2 cards for each color as being a safe bet. I would keep 4-6 cards per color on hand just in case...

floater302

STS inks all the way, and yes you have to use the cards still unless you do what i do and have someone rewrite the firmware so you dont need cards anymore,

lbpalm

wow lots of inks opinions!

The Bordeaux dealer wants $500 to unlock the ink system.
How much does STS charge?
Thanks.

matisx

If you have a Mutoh, then to my knowledge you still have to use smart cards. Most 3rd party ink suppliers either throw them in, or will charge you $5 - $7/ea for them. They work pretty good most of the time, but it is in your best interest to keep a handful of each color in stock. I recently had a problem where 4 out of 6 cards I had were bad, that was definitely not the norm, just saying don't count on having 1-2 cards for each color as being a safe bet. I would keep 4-6 cards per color on hand just in case...
Hello, I would like to ask you which refillable cartridges and inks in bottle would be best for myMutoh 1204. I bought it yesterday.
thanks

RG

I don't know which refillable cartridges are best. I have always used 440 cartridges in my 1204. Right now I'm using JetBest ink ($61 for a 440 cartridge). I have also used Bordeaux ink for several years. I can strongly recommend both JetBest and Bordeaux ink.

RG

I buy JetBest ink from Metro Supplies in Metairie, LA., with next day delivery because they are only about 100 miles away.

premiercolour

Merchant Member
I’m curious how much money you all are saving on your 3rd party inks. My question is the savings worth the risk?

You are saving about 40-50% over OEM ink cost. Recommended to change to Jetbest from OEM if you are using two sets per month.

OEM 440 = $124 (approx)
Jetbest 440 = $64
Each cartridge you save $60. A set of cartridge of 4 color you save $240. If you are using two sets per month, you are saving $480. No flush needed, do three strong cleans after inserting Jetbest ink. Use OEM profile. Lots of savings towards future printer parts replacement or maintenance plan. Use bulk ink to save additional 50%.