• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Mutoh Falcon Outdoor Question

redmondcopy

Hi All,

I'm new to these printers and wanted some advice. I'm looking at buying a Mutoh Falcon Outdoor 48" and wanted to know if someone had one of these could tell me how good or bad they are and how reliable they are? Or if I shouldn't look at these at all. What's a fair price? I know it has been sitting awhile and probably didn't get flushed out. I see at cykm you can get a refurbish kit for $750. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Grant

I've had a Falcon Outdoor Junior for 2 1/2 years now with no complaints. In that time I had to replace the print heads, capping station, etc. (maintanence kit you mentioned) once. It was pretty straight forward to work on. I print something at least every other day to make sure it doesn't dry up or at the very least run a cleaning cycle. We still get very good prints from it and could not be happier. If you have any question let me know.

Stuart
stuart@finishline-signs.com

Jackpine

I have a Falcon Jr and I have replaced parts but that is part of tools and equipment. They wear out like tires on a truck. I get excellent quality and the speed may be slow for some shops but not a problem here. I am not sold on the lc, lm on the 48" falcon but I don't have a problem with printing gradients. I see it as a 33% ink cost increase. I believe someone on this forum converted theirs to a 4 color. I like the printer and cutter seperate. I believe your work flow is better.

luggnut

my falcons print quality is good... only draw back to me is speed. it is pretty slow.. to print a 4x8 (46"x94"..) takes about 1 hour!!! so sometimes it is a bottle neck here. but most of the time the speed is not a problem because i run a small shop.. if you need high production, this won't do it.

and i've seen them used on this board for a little above $3000 if i remember correctly?

letterman7

I don't know if the 48's are much different mechanically than the 36's (Jr's) that I'm running. In the two years I've had mine I've had to replace the heads once, the entire mechanical station once and the capping station once. They can be finicky machines with the ink and drain lines in the station, but other than that I'm happy with the quality. Like everyone else stated, it's a little slower than the newer machines, but I'm ok with that. The ink has time to dry (most times) as it comes through, so I can set it and forget it and work on other projects while the printer whirrs away.

jjones1

I bought a used Falcon outdoor back in January and other than the speed it rocks. If you have not already done so you might want to price ink and substrate. Don't forget you will need a rip to run the printer and a laminator depending on what you are going to print.

laserman70

We got ours used. We love it, it can be finiky at times but the quality is great. We have only had it for about 3 months, but every job we do we become even happier with this machine. Attached is our shop car we just wrapped with the Falcon Outdoor 48.

Attachments

• carsmaller.jpg
    carsmaller.jpg
    84.7 KB · Views: 139

redmondcopy

Thanks for all the input everyone. I really appreciate it. I think one of these will be a good starting machine and hopefully I'll run in to the problem of it not being fast enough and upgrade for there.

Thanks again,
Grant

BIGFOOT

Hi Everyone, I have a 48" Mutoh Falcon Outdoor and the other day the whole printer shut off in the middle of a print. I lost all power! I've checked all plugs, fuses, and even replaced the main power supply. If I unplug it for a few minutes or even a few hours and try and turn it back on, I get a flicker, or flash on the screen but thats about it. Any ideas anyone? Please help.. Thanks

Fuzzbuster

Hi Everyone, I have a 48" Mutoh Falcon Outdoor and the other day the whole printer shut off in the middle of a print. I lost all power! I've checked all plugs, fuses, and even replaced the main power supply. If I unplug it for a few minutes or even a few hours and try and turn it back on, I get a flicker, or flash on the screen but thats about it. Any ideas anyone? Please help.. Thanks
:threadBetter start your own thread dude
just a hint

Wildpony

I have the 62" version and have been happy with it. Had it almost 3 years. Just replaced the maintenance station and need to replace a head next. My only problem is I'm not getting enough work to through at it, so speed is not a problem for me.
The only problem with the 48" one is that you can't print a full 48" (only about 47-47.5"). That is why I went with the 62", so I could print full 48" signs and have some bleed room. Not that many materials come in 48" widths, but almost everything come's in 54". So I would go with a 62" Falcon, or better yet, a 54" ValueJet.

studio10

I have 62" Mutoh Falcon Outdoor for two years, no problems except Y motor (the pulley on the Y motor had come loose), but think that ValueJet is better solution.

1leonchen

i have a 48 inch runs pretty decent.its the perfect starter printer to upgrade from a plotter. it only prints 46.7 max. colours are great and in my oppinin a nice buy. be pepared to have lots of patience. its like a baby be gentle. it prints a 46.7 by eight feet in a hour bi directional dont for get to get a rip.

zgraphics

i have mine in the garage not working... I have lots of problems with it.
$10,000 down the drain. I gave up on this printer.

toodark

I just recently sold my 62. In 3yrs the nly thing I had to replace was the heads and capping station. I did not use mine in a high production shop so spped was not an issue for me. Mostly banners and signs. I liked mine.

R08

I've had one for around 3 years and it has been a real workhorse. I'm getting a used Roland SC540 but I'm keeping the Mutoh as a backup.

There is tons of information on fixing them and the parts are relatively cheap and easy to change.