• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Mutoh rockhopper 38 dead

FINBAR

My 9yr old Rockhopper 38 has died.
All the lights on the control panel light up(not flashing) but the fans don't run and
it does not go thru its initialising sequence.
There are some red leds flashing on the main power board.
Any suggestions?
This problem is a repeat of an occurrance of about a week back
but this cured itself after unplugging the mains power cable fo approx 30 mins and then plugging in and switching on.
Regards to all, Finbar (west of Ireland )

FINBAR

Dead power board

typical power supply symptoms of a failure.
Intermittent then finally dead.
Do the red LEDs that are flashing indicate the failure of adjacent components, be they resistors or capacitors.
I have not carried out any voltage readings yet as per service manual but am trying to narrow down the probable component.
A small area of the board shows some heat discoloration but the resistors there are not "fried".
Finbar

No Name

Sorry that I can´t help you (yet, at least) but my Rockhopper 46 died an hour ago!
Left it printing and went outside for a moment and when I came back it was dead.
No lights, nothing!

Haven´t started to figure what´s wrong but might do it later today if I got the time.
Hopefully it´s a fuse...

This old workhorse has been acting up for six - seven months now, maybe it´s time for a funeral.

EDIT.

Mine woke up after unpugging for a while.
Probably the same problem with power outlet.

RG

If you want to bring the old gal back to life, I have a FOJ that I'm parting out. Make me an offer on the power board.

devahoch

SIGN MAKING COMPANY
I think, you have a defect capacitor on the powerboard. You need to detach down powerboard and visual find a SWOLEN CAPACITOR , usually is near flat cable FROM POWERBOARD TO MAINBOARD. Replace defect capacitor for some cents you can repair board with cost cc 200-500 USD. I repair my RH II 64 with that. Good luck.

FINBAR

I think, you have a defect capacitor on the powerboard. You need to detach down powerboard and visual find a SWOLEN CAPACITOR , usually is near flat cable FROM POWERBOARD TO MAINBOARD. Replace defect capacitor for some cents you can repair board with cost cc 200-500 USD. I repair my RH II 64 with that. Good luck.
Many thanks for the help.
I will dismantle and examine the board over the weekend.
Any idea where one might get some info on the significance of the LEDs liighting up?
Many thanks,
Finbar

devahoch

SIGN MAKING COMPANY
Many thanks for the help.
I will dismantle and examine the board over the weekend.
Any idea where one might get some info on the significance of the LEDs liighting up?
Many thanks,
Finbar

You have LED lighting on start, becouse powerboard start right, but ending capacitor have not owner capacite, that LED light start and can't continous to startup others components (need more power for work). When I buyed my RHII, I have indentical problem, some time Bootup, sometime no, only light up display. After replace 2 capacitors for 1,00 eur, my printer works no problem with power starup 3 years today. I don't remember, but i think this was 2000mF/50v capacitors.

FINBAR

You have LED lighting on start, becouse powerboard start right, but ending capacitor have not owner capacite, that LED light start and can't continous to startup others components (need more power for work). When I buyed my RHII, I have indentical problem, some time Bootup, sometime no, only light up display. After replace 2 capacitors for 1,00 eur, my printer works no problem with power starup 3 years today. I don't remember, but i think this was 2000mF/50v capacitors.
Devahoch:-
I have checked the 3 dc voltages 5, 24,42 and they are all present.
The voltages are dc and smooth (checked on oscilliscope) which indicates that the capacitors are ok in so far as they are smoothing the voltages from the switch-mode power supply board.
Would it be possible that the machine might have dumped its Firmware?
Different leads have been unplugged to check if there was a drain on the power supplies but the only result was a loud continuous beep when one particular lead was unplugged.
I am also very puzzled that the machine "died" exactly 10 years to the day from which it was originally purchased and installed--- is there a clock running in them and counting down to a self-destruct day?
Any more thoughts out there?
Appreciated, Finbar

FINBAR

MUTOH 38 FOR PARTSRegards--

Devahoch:-
I have checked the 3 dc voltages 5, 24,42 and they are all present.
The voltages are dc and smooth (checked on oscilliscope) which indicates that the capacitors are ok in so far as they are smoothing the voltages from the switch-mode power supply board.
Would it be possible that the machine might have dumped its Firmware?
Different leads have been unplugged to check if there was a drain on the power supplies but the only result was a loud continuous beep when one particular lead was unplugged.
I am also very puzzled that the machine "died" exactly 10 years to the day from which it was originally purchased and installed--- is there a clock running in them and counting down to a self-destruct day?
Any more thoughts out there?
Appreciated, Finbar
Greetings all,
well, I have scrapped the Mutoh.
I failed to identify the problem so I have
dismantled the machine and it is available for
parts to anyone interested.
It resides in the west of Ireland but shipping parts
anywhere would not be a problem
Regards