• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Mutoh ValueJet 1608...WOW!

Adam Bennett

because you want to do magnets?

They make magnetic material that you can print on a ValueJet or Roland. You don't need a flatbed just to do magnets

ncastrellon

Well if this machine can easily print on magnetic blanks that would be awesome, but I am just curious about it's capabilities to safely print directly on any kind of magnet (roll or otherwise).

3dsignco

Well since it will print on material up to 3/8 inch I think you would be fine.. Take your magnet material, Cut to size stick it to a piece of 32 ga steel (Real estate Steel Sign Blanks) and run it. No all you have to do is 2000 sets of magnets and you paid for the machine.

ncastrellon

Cool. I am still fairly new to large format printing. I've used a mimaki JV3-160s for 2 agonizing years and my company is FINALLY in a position to purchase a BRAND NEW printer for me so I am keeping my options open to just about anything. I've seen Mutoh 1614 ValueJets in action and was very impressed. When I saw a brochure about the 1608 Hybrid that immediately sparked my interest. So far I'm leaning more towards the 1608 with a Wasatch RIP. If we don't get this then we will get the 1614 or 1618 Dual Head.

ncastrellon

Nevermind…

Cool. I am still fairly new to large format printing. I've used a mimaki JV3-160s for 2 agonizing years and my company is FINALLY in a position to purchase a BRAND NEW printer for me so I am keeping my options open to just about anything. I've seen Mutoh 1614 ValueJets in action and was very impressed. When I saw a brochure about the 1608 Hybrid that immediately sparked my interest. So far I'm leaning more towards the 1608 with a Wasatch RIP. If we don't get this then we will get the 1614 or 1618 Dual Head.

Ok, I just met with a vendor (which shall remain nameless) who brought samples from a Mutoh 1608 and I wasn't impressed. The color quality was NOT THERE. I guess it would be best just to get a 1614 then print and mount to substrate. Mutoh dropped the ball by only making the 1608 compatible with their Mubio inks.

Oh well, the thought was good at least.

Adam Bennett

Ok, I just met with a vendor (which shall remain nameless) who brought samples from a Mutoh 1608 and I wasn't impressed. The color quality was NOT THERE. I guess it would be best just to get a 1614 then print and mount to substrate. Mutoh dropped the ball by only making the 1608 compatible with their Mubio inks.

Oh well, the thought was good at least.

I find that pretty hard to believe. I have a STACK of samples from this machine (both roll and rigid media) and the print quality is DIALED.

leerees

Congratulations on your install! I'm curious as to the "flatbed market".

I have one large client that regularly orders hundreds of boards from us and they all have different artworks, they strongly rejected the idea of direct to substrate as they reuse the boards. So they prefer us to apply low tac vinyl and rifoff / reuse.

We do get a lot of estate agent boards however the estate agent board market is so saturated that we actually screen print our large runs, works out much cheaper than large format.

I'm guessing this leaves signs and other large boards but here in the UK again you're looking at being competitive. Maybe as a company we just haven't found the right business yet.

That's not to say I'm not in envy, I'd love to have a flatbed in the workshop, nobody here likes applying vinyl!