• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Mutoh vj1604 - waste tank not filling up

leerees

The waste tank on my Valujet is no longer filling up. Recently the small box with the pad on it (capping station?) overflowed with ink and this spilt onto the print, since then I have been monitoring and extracting the ink with a syringe.

Is there any way to fix this and get the waste system working again?

Vinylman

It sounds like you may need to call in a tech, unless you are familiar with doing "next level" service on your machine.

You need to add a lot more details regarding you situation before you can get answers t you problems.
The capping station may need replaced. The dampers may need replaced. The pump may be failing {or gone}. The print heads may be wearing out or gone.All of which can lead to the problems you are experiencing.

leerees

I'd be happy to provide more details. I'm off to the workshop now so I'll take pictures to describe the issue in more detail.

leerees

Here is a picture of what I think is now the spitting box and not the capping station, its the first thing you see to the right of the print area and beneith it it has a large pipe, shown in the next picture

spittingbox.jpg

Here is a view from below, the 1st pipe leads to what i think is the spitting box pictured first

wastepipes.jpg

dclet

replace the capping station.
replace the spit box sponge.

both minor easy to do

see what happens...

leerees

Can someone confirm that the spitbox is the thing with the replaceable sponge?

If so it's the spit box that is filling up and over flowing, not the capping station.

leerees

Also notice the waste pipe, there appears to be air in there or something, shouldn't it be full of ink without any gaps?

dclet

Also notice the waste pipe, there appears to be air in there or something, shouldn't it be full of ink without any gaps?

no it's only completely full during a cleaning...

if capping station is clogged you will not get ink in those lines and down to the waste tray/bottle.. you can pull the capping station out drop some cleaning fluid on it and with a syringe suck on em...see if you get flow...

looks like your spit box sponge hasn't been changed :) if it's the older style with the fabric drip its may have come loose and fell down blocking the opening....pull the sponge out and have a looky loo

Again~

replace the capping station.
replace the spit box sponge.

both minor easy to do

see what happens...

leerees

my uneducated guess would be clogged waste line...

How would I go about unclogging the waste lines, I tried to pull the tubes apart but I couldn't do it.

looks like your spit box sponge hasn't been changed :) if it's the older style with the fabric drip its may have come loose and fell down blocking the opening....pull the sponge out and have a looky loo

I put tweezers down all the way to the bend at the bottom and couldn't find any foreign objects in there. I changed the sponge the other week

if capping station is clogged you will not get ink in those lines and down to the waste tray/bottle.. you can pull the capping station out drop some cleaning fluid on it and with a syringe suck on em...see if you get flow...

Is this relatively easy to do, i.e. unscrew it, do the job and put it back in? Doesn't the capping station have to be aligned by a professional engineer or can anyone do it?

leerees

I also have a problem whereby one whole block of the black nozzle test is missing causing reduced black printing, could this issue be related to the capping station, I've checked lines and damper on head and all is ok.

leerees

Clean the lines... They can be taken apart and cleaned for a quick fix...

I've really tried hard to take them apart but they just wont seperate, I used considerable force anymore and I would have ripped them!

run some cleaning solution through there.

How? Do I just pour it down the spit tray? Also I can't order anything at the moment as there is a major postage problem in the UK and I need to get this sorted ASAP, is there any cleaning solution I could buy from a hardware store?

Stealth Ryder

Do what RandyA Said... I have dis-assembled these drain assemblies many times to clean. Based on the pic you presented this is where your blockage is located, it must me cleaned or replace the Maintenance Assy. It can be done...

graphixtogo

I just went through this a few weeks ago. Pour cleaning fluid or denatured alcohol through the sponge and capping station. Squeeze the lines and try to break up as much of the coagulated ink as possible. Try running a pipe cleaner down the tubes if you can get down them from the top. Also use a syringe to pull a vacuum at the end of the tube. Once you start to get some fluid moving through the tubes, keep at it until the lines start to visibly clear up.

The problem you are having with the missing nozzles could be directly related to the blocked drain tubes (mine was). Make sure the 2 small tubes coming from the capping station are clear too. If these are blocked, the machine can't pull ink during cleaning cycles, therefore, the nozzles can't be cleared.