• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

My Company Logo

MariaMartini

I have had the hardest time coming up with a logo for myself.

I really wish I had gone with a different company name but that's another story.

I wanted something clean and simple... I've worked on this design for about 30 minutes, so I'm sure it could still use a lot of tweaking. In the past I have tried using a sun or a light bulb in the logo, but I could never get it to look right in my opinion. How does this look?

All advice appreciated!

Thank You!

Attachments

• Picture 8.png
    Picture 8.png
    22.5 KB · Views: 149

MariaMartini

30 minutes!?!! Sheesh! Go lay down before you have a stroke.

:(

Of course if I knew what I wanted it would've taken me a few minutes. I just keep going back and forth changing colors and what not.

Come back when you have some real input to add.

Pat Whatley

I think the point was that you've had trouble coming up with a logo for yourself and you just invested 30 minutes in it? You're way, way short on self-input there. You haven't spent enough time on it to even get in the right frame of mind to really get creative with it. I know you thought about it a lot before you started on the computer but you could easilly spend three hours just researching font choices. You're gonna have to invest the pain and struggle to be rewarded with something you're happy with. If you're having to ask people on a web site what they think about it you're not at that point yet.

We just scrapped about 40 hours worth of work on our new image to go in a different direction. We're going to do a full branding package for ourselves to use as a presentation to try to sell other people the same. We'll have 80-100 hours in it and that's not a lot compared to a true corporate identity package.

TheSnowman

The whole thing is really hard to read to me. What I normally do (and again, I just grew up in a family that owned a sign company, I still don't profess to be a graphic artist by any means) is zoom out a long way, or even look at your thumbnail, and see if you can read it, and if you can't...you probably need to choose different colors or fonts.

MariaMartini

I think the point was that you've had trouble coming up with a logo for yourself and you just invested 30 minutes in it? You're way, way short on self-input there. You haven't spent enough time on it to even get in the right frame of mind to really get creative with it. I know you thought about it a lot before you started on the computer but you could easilly spend three hours just researching font choices. You're gonna have to invest the pain and struggle to be rewarded with something you're happy with. If you're having to ask people on a web site what they think about it you're not at that point yet.

We just scrapped about 40 hours worth of work on our new image to go in a different direction. We're going to do a full branding package for ourselves to use as a presentation to try to sell other people the same. We'll have 80-100 hours in it and that's not a lot compared to a true corporate identity package.

I completely understand what you are saying, but I have spent hours on this. Yes, I spend approx. 30 minutes on THIS design, but I have tried several others before coming to ask for help. Thank you for your advice though!

MariaMartini

The whole thing is really hard to read to me. What I normally do (and again, I just grew up in a family that owned a sign company, I still don't profess to be a graphic artist by any means) is zoom out a long way, or even look at your thumbnail, and see if you can read it, and if you can't...you probably need to choose different colors or fonts.

That is good advice, thanks! I usually have it so large when I am designing, that I forget to think about that.

MariaMartini

You should have a professional provide you with an identity.
It's well worth it.
:cool1:

Thanks! I guess I felt guilty about doing that, since being in the sign business I need to know how to design myself. Which, I do know how to do, but I know I am nowhere near the best.

Designing for yourself seems to be more difficult :p

Pat Whatley

Shovel's got a point. What's the difference subbing out vectorizing, or illustration, or printing, or design work? Do what you can do, let others do for you what you can't....make money both ways and retire happily!

MariaMartini

Shovel's got a point. What's the difference subbing out vectorizing, or illustration, or printing, or design work? Do what you can do, let others do for you what you can't....make money both ways and retire happily!

Did anyone mention to you yet that your card was in the new SignCraft?

hoppers

Yeah I go to outside sources for ideas and inspiration for my own logo and branding. Its too hard on yourself, but I personally would drop the LLC. I think you may have that in there to even out the line with the top, but I would drop the LLC and center the bottom line.

signmeup

What Pat said.....plus: Get rid of "LLc". It can be added to your logo as needed later but it shouldn't be part of your identity.

signmeup

:(

I just keep going back and forth changing colors and what not.

Come back when you have some real input to add.
Start over but only use black and white. You will end up with a much better design that way. If it works in black and white it'll really work in color.

Jillbeans

I'm sorry, but this just does not say SIGN COMPANY to me.
It looks like something for a kid's toy.
At the very least, put the subcopy in a reverse panel.
I do like the stars, but the whole thing just lacks punch.
Love....Jill

THATgirl

Sometimes it's good to just start over. When I am unsure about a logo I take a break from it for a day and then start over. Try using fonts you never would have tried before. This will take you off in a whole different spin. It's fun! Good luck, and I look forward to seeing what you come up with.

Jillbeans

Here's a quickie suggestion, very cliché but maybe it will get your juices flowing.

Attachments

• Graphic2.jpg
    Graphic2.jpg
    223.8 KB · Views: 60

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Let it go for awhile and come back to it when your creative juices are flowing. If you don't when that is.... then they're not flowing. When you finally feel it.... things will start pouring out onto your canvas........

:Oops: Oh yeah, that's another point.... try doodling and doing designs on paper before you do it on a design program.... come up with some ideas, even if you can't draw, but at least get your initial concepts down on paper and work outward from there.... Afterall, that's how they make plans for almost anything.... they draw, doodle and make thumbnail sketches and then go to the final piece.

birds start.jpg

the first thing that comes to mind is your name implies (at least to me) that you are in the business of manufacturing illuminated signs even though it doesnt out right say that...but it is my assumption by your addition of 'signs and banners' that you do not manufacture illuminated signs...yes no?

regardless it is the name you have chosen and i would head back to the drawing board...but other than that you have given us basically nothing to work with other than your 'attempt' that even you are unhappy with...