• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

My first box truck install

sardocs

Nope... I don't know how to charge by the square anything. I suck at math. I charge by the job. I make better money that way.

SLG

Those rivets that are in van body trailers that are pulled by semis are called "buck rivets". The only reason to remove them would be to replace the inner structure or the aluminum panels themselves. The tool used is an air hammer with a snub nosed chisel bit. To install new ones is with an air hammer and the appropriate dimpled bit and a steel anvil on the inside. These rivets have no mandrel. This comes from my work as a commercial body shop manager in a previous life. No one here should ever ever remove those.

This thread really cracked me up...i do a lot of install and have done a lot for my own company and others. I dont post on here much but this one made me want to. Whoever says that you need to remove rivets or has done this is just not informed to me and i dont mean that in a bad way, ive installed vinyl on tons of transit vehicles from box trucks to 53'trailers with rivets ranging from every 4' to every 10" and i wasn't anything i couldnt make look flawless with more than a torch a rollie-pro or a rivet brush and an air release tool. One of the things that kills this industry the most is installers who over think everything and add labor cost in for things like removing rivets or taking off door handles and head lights. It fills the market with high quotes and just off client expectations, and like i said i mean this in the nicest way but you should be able to do a quality install that looks good and last and meets the clients expectations and yours without making your self do tons of things that add useless time and energy to your installs and if you cant may b you should re evaluate yourself as a vinyl installer.

HulkSmash

This thread really cracked me up...i do a lot of install and have done a lot for my own company and others. I dont post on here much but this one made me want to. Whoever says that you need to remove rivets or has done this is just not informed to me and i dont mean that in a bad way, ive installed vinyl on tons of transit vehicles from box trucks to 53'trailers with rivets ranging from every 4' to every 10" and i wasn't anything i couldnt make look flawless with more than a torch a rollie-pro or a rivet brush and an air release tool. One of the things that kills this industry the most is installers who over think everything and add labor cost in for things like removing rivets or taking off door handles and head lights. It fills the market with high quotes and just off client expectations, and like i said i mean this in the nicest way but you should be able to do a quality install that looks good and last and meets the clients expectations and yours without making your self do tons of things that add useless time and energy to your installs and if you cant may b you should re evaluate yourself as a vinyl installer.

well said.