• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

my gloss laminate has modelling on it!!!

gabagoo

Not sure I spelled that correctly, but I laminated some dark colored prints and now I see that the lam was modelled. I let it sit for 2 days and still no change. This morning I hit it gently with a heat gun and still no change.

Are these prints toast?

Where does the responsibility of my supplier lie? Why does a product that is intended as a finishing, allowed to penetrate the market and ruin my work?

Burns my azz!!!

not happy:banghead:

speedmedia

We where getting tons of Avery laminate that had this issue. We just switched to Oracal and 3m and haven't had that problem.

I would certainly contact your vendor and see how old that stuff is.

Thanks,
Kurt

MikePro

currently have a half-roll of 3M cast luster, same thing. I assumed that the roll sat for too long?
If its the same thing I've got, it won't come out. I've been using it for the backside application (double-layer trans) for my illuminated prints.

HulkSmash

currently have a half-roll of 3M cast luster, same thing. I assumed that the roll sat for too long?
If its the same thing I've got, it won't come out. I've been using it for the backside application (double-layer trans) for my illuminated prints.

I heard that it has to do with humidity. Not sure though. but when applying post heat they disappear

CanuckSigns

Barry:

What brand is the lam? we've had this happen with a few different brands, mostly with the last 5yrds or so on the roll, I always just assumed the lam was rolled to tightly against the inner core.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
It could be the humidity and it could also be the inks not drying or curing effectively enough. If ink usage is a little heavy, it was probably still curing and when putting the laminate over-top, it stopped that process completely.... but the gases still come to the top. Just no place for them to go.

gabagoo

It was the last 3 or 4 yards on the roll and it is definately in the laminate as I can see it if I look closely, of whats still left unused. It was a lam bought from ND Graphics and it is a housebrand so who knows what it really is. I like the stuff other than that issue.

I feel the vendor should eat the cost of me having to reprint. If there is a problem with material why do we at the end of the line continually have to accept it?
I'm mad as hell and won't take it anymore!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dib2-HBsF08

James Burke

Being a grandpa is more fun than working
I've seen magnetic sheet come in the same way...perhaps it was caused by chafing as the material was rolled.

JB

petepaz

if it was just the last few yards i have had that one time before. the very end of the roll had a wrinkle real close to the core so it left a mark in the last 5-7 ft of lam. and it won't go away i just chalked it up as a loss. if it was an ongoing thing i would contact the vendor let them know. it seems like a lot of material but for the amount of effort and time to get reimbursed by oracal i figured not worth it. also when i have had any kind of issue before they start asking for the material info, ser. no. lot no. label from the box...blah, blah, blah and of course i didn't have any of that saved

Custom_Grafx

I've gone through this issue at length with both my supplier and 3M when this had me reprinting a reprint of 5m x 1.2m.

Basically, it's pressure marks. Here's the conclusion. Basically, if it's at the end of the roll, it's due to the roll expanding and shrinking during shipping. This makes the roll 'tighter' in the center if that makes sense. The pressure is what creates the mottling.

On the other hand, if you see pressure marks which resemble stripes, going in a perpendicular direction to the width of the roll, from the outside of the roll - this is the impression left on the roll from the corrugations in the shipping carton. This happens when one of the end plugs has been crushed in transit, resulting in the roll to rest on its side heavily on the corrugated packaging material. You will notice as you unroll your film, that there will be a striped mottle every revolution of the roll in the exact same spot.

The latter falls on the shoulders of your supplier. Look out for broken/cracked plugs and the such, and do not accept delivery and send it back. More than likely it has the striped type of pressure marks.

If it's the type that is towards the centre of the roll, there's not much that can be done about this unfortunately (words of 3M) - it's just one of the things that can happen in transit if it goes from a hot container to a cold area / vice versa etc.

Like Colorado said, post heat gets it out, it's just a big PIA. When it's solid dark it's even worse because any inconsistency in your post heating will also show up as a varying level of gloss :(

Good luck getting anyone to pay for your reprinting... but do try to get a free roll or a heavy discount on your next roll.