Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My homemade vinyl racks

Discussion in 'General Chit-Chat' started by Haakon, Dec 11, 2012.

1. Haakon

Haakon Member

Sep 23, 2010
    Norway
    Keeping up with the others. I thought I'd show my basic but functional vinyl racks for my 24" rolls.

Used some particle board sheets and some 2x4" found in the garage, and bought a load of (insert fancy word for broomhandle) material.

Set about marking and drilling holes, 2 sheets at a time so the holes would line up perfectly. Then assembled them with a 2x4 in between to space them apart. The reason for this is to make the poles stay in place when loaded with heavy vinyl rolls. Even with a full new roll they do not budge at all (lucky with that). It does not come clearly across in the pics, but the racks are angled slightly backwards for added stability. They are also made to size to fit under my worktable, so now I can fit about 70 rolls without taking up any "real estate" in the room.

Attached Files:

Tags:
  2. Gino

Gino Premium Subscriber

Jun 7, 2006
    PA
    All of our dowels are drilled with about a 15% or 20% slant to make sure nothing falls off. Ya never know with the bigger rolls.

vinyl storage-3.jpg

3. Patentagosse

Patentagosse Active Member

Aug 17, 2011
    Joliette, Quebec (Canada)
    After seeing the last picture, we can assume you really like Oracal...

4. Haakon

Haakon Member

Sep 23, 2010
    Norway
    I like Oracal, but even more it's the relationship to the rep I like. Always very helpful, quick to respond and really great prices at that. And my loyalty to them is rewarded, I get the full discounted price for ordering a full roll, no matter how little I order, so if I need just 5 yards, the price is 1/10 of a full 50 yard roll. Since it's European the pricing is also far better than brands imported from US (3M, Avery etc). Oracal 751 is somewhere between 1/3 and 1/4 the price of 3M 100 series and Avery 900 series. Nobrainer really.

5. GAC05

GAC05 Major Contributor

Dec 27, 2005
    Guam USA
    Nice design, very smart idea.
    During carnival season it looks like you could use them as a plinko game.

wayne k
    guam usa

6. FireSprint.com

FireSprint.com Trade Only Screen & Digital Sign Printing

Cool. Good idea to have two sheets for stability.

7. slappy

slappy Very Active Member

May 31, 2005
    Earth
  8. omaan

omaan New Member

Nov 26, 2012
    Nice designs!!
    I liked the way you have put them all together!!!
    The best is your colorful rolls!!
    Hats off to your creativity!

9. bob

bob Major Contributor

Nov 4, 2005
    earth
    Clever. If you would have drilled through the other side at the same angle you could have inserted dowels and made the thing two sided. Just the ticket to fit beneath a free standing table.