• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

My HP is printing RED again.......

depps74

I've had issues with neutral tones printing red since getting this machine 2 years ago. Yesterday I installed Onyx and swapped blue and black heads and optimizer head. Worked great all day. Ran it for 6 hours straight. Last print was a grey tone that came out red / magenta.

Hit the swap heads button then hit cancel by mistake. Waited and swapped magenta and yellow heads. Printer did its thing then threw an alert that head alignment failed. I had to leave so I cleaned the heads and left.

What is going on????? Any ideas? IS running your machine all day bad? ITs in a small space with little ventilation. maybe it got too hot?

Kay

Sorry to hear you're having issues! We were having an issue with our HP, and I've been running a calibration test before almost every job. That seemed to help a little. We were still having trouble with getting our grays to look neutral. We have Flexi, so I resorted to using linearization only for the color settings and then mapping the colors to the standards they needed to be. That has worked very well for us.

Good luck to you! I hope you find something that works!

greysquirrel

I would download, delete and reinstall a fresh driver for the printer in Onyx then create a new profile from scratch(not a cloned one) and make sure you profile it. that will confirm that the issue is not with the print driver or a corrupt profile.

• Agree
Reactions: Kay

bowtievega

Premium Subscriber
We have a 365 and I’ve been creating new ICC profiles to n the machine for each new substrate. Seems like neutral colors on canned profiles always come out tinted but look really good after creating a new profile on the machine. Have also done the linearization thru flexi with good results but it’s easier to do it right on the machine, especially if you have a profile that prints ok (correct saturation, heat, etc) and just perform calibration and new ICC.

depps74

We have a 365 and I’ve been creating new ICC profiles to n the machine for each new substrate. Seems like neutral colors on canned profiles always come out tinted but look really good after creating a new profile on the machine. Have also done the linearization thru flexi with good results but it’s easier to do it right on the machine, especially if you have a profile that prints ok (correct saturation, heat, etc) and just perform calibration and new ICC.
Any chance you could walk me through the linearization? Or maybe a youtube video?

jawdavis

If you have a latex printer with the onboard spectro, and you're NOT creating your own media presets, then you're doing yourself a great disservice. Canned profiles are a good starting point for learning the curing temp, vaccum settings, etc. for a specific media but will only create problems when you try to make them fit into your unique production environment. Starting from scratch with a preset couldn't be easier with the onboard profiling system, and will create a very good print, often with less ink usage than what some manufacturers specify. This is also the quickest/easiest way to get a neutral grayscale image out of your printer. The key is to make sure you are color calibrating EACH media preset regularly after creating it. Printhead changes will definitely affect color and calibration should always be performed after this. The other thing to keep in mind is how firmware can play into this. Years ago, a couple of firmware updates essentially ruined all of the presets we'd made. It wasn't a big deal to recreate them for the main medias we use, but later when we went back to print something we don't do often, the preset was out of whack. Recreating it from scratch solved our issues and HP later confirmed that the firmware patch had made our presets obsolete. If your grayscale prints start leaning toward red/magenta or greenish/cyan and a color calibration doesn't bring it back into line, create a new preset from scratch and I'll bet your problem will be solved.