• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

My machine is shocking me. literally..

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Other than not touching it, touch something else before you handle it. It's the season for extra dryness in the air from various heating methods.

graphicwarning

Humidifier! Everything around here was shocking me like crazy until I got a humidifier and got the humidity back up to a reasonable level.

gabagoo

I hate getting shocks.... My laminator is the worse for that....have seen blue sparks jumping up at me.... After dealing with backing paper, which is where the static seems to come from I usually make a fist and bang my hand on any metal piece on the laminator... Yes the shock still comes through but the impact of your fist hitting the metal makes it almost undetectable. I don't hit it hard, just enough to offset that unsuspecting electricity. Some days are bad and others nothing...but winter is here uggg.

I remember an awful experience one winter while rolling up about 20 feet of 48" cut vinyl out of the graphtec. I used one hand on each side and re rolled the vinyl, I leaned a little to close to the metal basket vinyl holder and this incredible spark jumped at the closest conductor.... my FLY!!!! OMG that was a lesson that I will never experience again lol

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
I remember an awful experience one winter while rolling up about 20 feet of 48" cut vinyl out of the graphtec. I used one hand on each side and re rolled the vinyl, I leaned a little to close to the metal basket vinyl holder and this incredible spark jumped at the closest conductor.... my FLY!!!! OMG that was a lesson that I will never experience again lol

That brings to mind The 10 Electro Commandments we learned in the Navy.

"Beware of the lightning that lurketh in undischarged circuits lest it cause thee to be bounced upon thy buttocks in a most unseamanlike manner."

and my favorite:

"Trifle thee not with radioactive tubes and substances lest thou commence to glow in the dark and thy wife shall have no further use for thee other than thy paycheck."

jlalasvt

haha

Hahaha. Glad I am not thee only one. Well for starters I was wearing a about 90% polyester, Which definitely was not helping. Secondly, I run my print shop out of my basement in my house and the moister level is insane. 3rd Running a space heater probably does not help either... But Thanks to everyone for the tips. I am running a cut only job on the cjv 54'' and after cutting 150 feet, I am simply just going back and cutting the stencils off in 24'' sections, Letting the machine do all the work. So I gathered that it was definitely associated with the friction being produced as I was rolling the roll from the front take up reel, Back to the original roll on the back side. Makes sense.

Thanks for the quick response. I have posted on here several times and had nothing but close minded/ pretentious responses, If any at all.

Much appreciation.

I was wondering If I could ground the machine chassis out to something in the house? Thoughts ?

Techman

start ground every thing. including some ground matting you can walk upon to discharge the static.

James Burke

Being a grandpa is more fun than working
You should see my Trinco sandblast cabinet. It has a 5-inch diameter sand pickup hose and that baby snaps, crackles and pops like you wouldn't believe (due to the friction from the aluminum oxide media). It will throw a spark approx. two inches long if you happen to get that close. Even with a grounding strap, it bites me once in a while.

JB

kheebl

you can add an additional ground that's what I did with my cutter. I took the ground wire from some romex (house electrical wire) and attached 1 end to a screw under the cutter and the other to the conduit pipe at the wall(I just wrapped it around a few times. I have never had a static issue since. took about 2 min to install. Not the prettiest thing but works perfectly.

phototec

I'm getting the same shocks every time I touch the keyboard on my SP-540v (only happens this time of year), I don't know if it's me building up the charge as I walk over to the printer or if it's the printer that has built up the static charge. I have been worried that if it's me building up the charge, and I touch the keypad I may damage the printer in some way.

So, I was thinking of getting an anti-static floor mat to put in front of the printer, which has a ground wire that you attach to some electrical grounded source, they when I stand on the mat any charge on me would be dissipated.

I worked at Texas Instruments for 17 years and they used anti-static floor mats everywhere in front of all kinds of machines, the mats worked great however you needed to wear special static conductive shoes (which the company paid for), or attach a conductive heel strip to you regular shoes with a strap from inside you socks (touching your skin) down to the bottom of your shoe. That way any static built up on you as your polyester clothing rubbed together while moving or walking would be dissipated through the shoe to the mate and when you touched the metal machine there was NO shock.

Attachments

• anti-static-mats-23635-2757559.jpg
    anti-static-mats-23635-2757559.jpg
    121.3 KB · Views: 179
  • 2075.jpg
    2075.jpg
    18.1 KB · Views: 249
  • 295050507_701.jpg
    295050507_701.jpg
    50.4 KB · Views: 95
  • Heel%20Ground%20for%20Anti-Static%20Mats%20400.jpg
    Heel%20Ground%20for%20Anti-Static%20Mats%20400.jpg
    104.3 KB · Views: 120
  • heel-grounder-anti-static.jpg
    heel-grounder-anti-static.jpg
    60.1 KB · Views: 108
Ground your equipment to a anchor in the floor. This will stop almost all your shocking from that piece. Or before you touch it, because you always get shocked doing the same thing, touch the back of your knuckle to the metal. It will still arc but without any pain or SHOCK.

OldPaint

i wondered what the festook bros did after sat nite live.......
THEY BECAME SIGN PRINTERS)))))))))))))))))))))))