• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Just In My new bucket truck

ams

By the way the dealer told me that all bucket trucks require a USDOT number. I looked it up and apparently it's only needed for crossing state lines (doing business in other states).

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Ya better go and re-check your states requirements. I believe you have some things confused. First, in Virginia, you'll need all the necessary licensing and certification by November of this year according to NCCCO. Second, you're not a stationary operator.

For crane certification, as long as the crane can handle under 2,000lbs, you don't need any qualifications to run it, unless you are in the tree trimming business, in which case you never need to be certified to operate a crane (wtf, I'd argue they are more likely to cause damage due to ignorance). Safety equipment can be reduced to a tethered belt if you have rails on a basket up to x height, something like 42". I can't speak to insurance needs though.

I've actually never considered it, but if you are using a crane as a man lift, does the operator need to be certified? Can I send my vinyl guys out on such a truck to do an install since I know they won't be using the capacity, or do I need to send the operator too?
Here is something I wish I'd thought of when we geared out our new bucket truck. If you plan to put a generator or torch tanks on it, 'temporarily' mount them to the back of the truck, not behind the lamp/tool bin immediately behind the cabinet. I have our welder mounted with threaded inserts into the deck, which was great because we could drop the welder if we needed to (if some overzealous state trooper decides to weigh your truck, this will save you a tow bill). But don't put it 'in front' of the main boom, because if you'd like to go to the ground to grab something, and your truck is facing the sign, you will either have to rotate that much more to pass the welder/tanks, or risk hitting the welder and putting a dent in that brand new welder. (ask me how I know)

For crane certification, as long as the crane can handle under 2,000lbs, you don't need any qualifications to run it, unless you are in the tree trimming business, in which case you never need to be certified to operate a crane (wtf, I'd argue they are more likely to cause damage due to ignorance). Safety equipment can be reduced to a tethered belt if you have rails on a basket up to x height, something like 42". I can't speak to insurance needs though.

I've actually never considered it, but if you are using a crane as a man lift, does the operator need to be certified? Can I send my vinyl guys out on such a truck to do an install since I know they won't be using the capacity, or do I need to send the operator too?
Here is something I wish I'd thought of when we geared out our new bucket truck. If you plan to put a generator or torch tanks on it, 'temporarily' mount them to the back of the truck, not behind the lamp/tool bin immediately behind the cabinet. I have our welder mounted with threaded inserts into the deck, which was great because we could drop the welder if we needed to (if some overzealous state trooper decides to weigh your truck, this will save you a tow bill). But don't put it 'in front' of the main boom, because if you'd like to go to the ground to grab something, and your truck is facing the sign, you will either have to rotate that much more to pass the welder/tanks, or risk hitting the welder and putting a dent in that brand new welder. (ask me how I know)

I have had welders up on the bed rite behind the bulb bin and it takes up so much room moved welder and tanks to the driver side rear works out good its all pretty much in arms length

Attachments

• 7 welder.jpg
    7 welder.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 257
  • 7 welder.jpg
    7 welder.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 215

Notarealsignguy

Arial - it's almost helvetica
By the way the dealer told me that all bucket trucks require a USDOT number. I looked it up and apparently it's only needed for crossing state lines (doing business in other states).
You need a dot number and doesnt matter if you are intrastate or interstate. The DOT in va is notoriously difficult too.

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
You need a dot number and doesnt matter if you are intrastate or interstate. The DOT in va is notoriously difficult too.
We have to have them here for anything over 10k or hauling people.
1. We are not a state
2. Feds issue the DOT here
3. Nearest state line to cross from Guam is Hawaii.

GB2

Old Member
The FMCSA Federal Motor Carriers Safety Administration is the definitive authority for operating trucks on the road. If you have questions, you should not guess or listen to somebody else, you should get the factual information. Here is their website with some excerpts from it:

https://www.fmcsa.dot.gov/

Who needs to get a USDOT number? https://www.fmcsa.dot.gov/registration/do-i-need-usdot-number

Published 12/05/2014 02:19 PM | Updated 10/18/2019 10:24 AM
In general, a USDOT Number is required if you are operating in interstate commerce and meet the following criteria:

• You have vehicles that are over 10,000 lbs. (GVWR, GCWR, GVW or GCW)
  • You transport between 9 and 15 passengers (including the driver) for compensation, whether direct or indirect
  • You transport 16 or more passengers
  • You haul hazardous materials
Click here for a step-by-step tool that helps you determine whether you need a USDOT or MC number. For more information on how to get a USDOT number, please see the FAQ "How do I get a US DOT number?" For some definitions of FMCSA terms, click here.

If you would like information on getting operating authority as a for-hire carrier (MC/MX/FF numbers), click here.

If you are an existing company changing your form of business, click here.

I am an intrastate motor carrier of non-hazardous materials. My cargo or vehicle NEVER leaves the state in which I am registered. Do I need a USDOT number? https://ask.fmcsa.dot.gov/app/answers/detail/a_id/54

Published 12/05/2014 11:56 AM | Updated 04/01/2020 04:01 PM
The answer varies from state to state. To determine if an intrastate carrier needs a USDOT number, contact one of the following:

Please see also: Who needs to get a USDOT number?

https://www.dmv.virginia.gov/commercial/#mcs/programs/usdot/index.asp

Do I Need a USDOT Number? https://www.fmcsa.dot.gov/registration/do-i-need-usdot-number
Español

What is a USDOT Number?
Companies that operate commercial vehicles transporting passengers or hauling cargo in interstate commerce must be registered with the FMCSA and must have a USDOT Number. Also, commercial intrastate hazardous materials carriers who haul types and quantities requiring a safety permit must register for a USDOT Number.

The USDOT Number serves as a unique identifier when collecting and monitoring a company's safety information acquired during audits, compliance reviews, crash investigations, and inspections. Click the button below to access our interactive tool that will determine if you need a US DOT number:

You are required to obtain a USDOT number if you have a vehicle that:

• Is used to transport the types and quantities of hazardous materials requiring a safety permit in intrastate commerce (see 49 CFR 385.403).
OR

• Has a gross vehicle weight rating or gross combination weight rating, or gross vehicle weight or gross combination weight, of 4,536 kg (10,001 pounds) or more, whichever is greater; or
  • Is designed or used to transport more than 8 passengers (including the driver) for compensation; or
  • Is designed or used to transport more than 15 passengers, including the driver, and is not used to transport passengers for compensation;
AND IS INVOLVED IN INTERSTATE COMMERCE:
Trade, traffic, or transportation in the United States—

• Between a place in a State and a place outside of such State (including a place outside of the United States);
  • Between two places in a State through another State or a place outside of the United States; or
  • Between two places in a State as part of trade, traffic, or transportation originating or terminating outside the State or the United States.
You are required by FMCSA to obtain a USDOT Number and comply with the Federal Regulations.

It is the responsibility of motor carrier operators and drivers to know and comply with all applicable Federal Motor Carrier Safety Regulations. Safety compliance and safe operations translate into saved lives and protected property. We believe the information in this package, when effectively applied, will contribute to safer motor carrier operations and highways.

States that Require a DOT Number
Apart from federal regulations, some states require their intrastate commercial motor vehicle registrants to obtain a USDOT Number, or intrastate motor carrier registration, check with your responsible state agency.. These states include:

• Alabama
  • Alaska
  • Arizona
  • California
  • Colorado
  • Connecticut
  • Florida
  • Georgia
  • Idaho
  • Indiana
  • Iowa
  • Kansas
  • Kentucky
  • Maine
  • Maryland
  • Massachusetts
  • Michigan
  • Minnesota
  • Missouri
  • Montana
  • New Jersey
  • New York
  • Nebraska
  • Nevada
  • North Carolina
  • Ohio
  • Oklahoma
  • Oregon
  • Pennsylvania
  • Puerto Rico
  • South Carolina
  • Texas
  • Utah
  • Washington
  • West Virginia
  • Wisconsin
  • Wyoming
Vehicles that require USDOT numbers must have a name and USDOT number on both sides of the vehicle’s power unit, in a contrasting color, and visible from 50 feet away when parked. Currently, there is no cost to register for a USDOT number. You can visit www.safer.fmcsa.dot.gov and select the “FMCSA Registration and Updates” link to register.

Last edited: