• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

My new work 5x12 work table

Justinglinn

Would most agree that a self healing mat is a great way to go for a table top? I may add a gantry on the sides of the table to create a very low end Rollsroller or Rogueroller.

Please be kind in regard to my very humble setup. I m trying to start of very small in hopes to build something much larger in the future. I concentrate on onsite consultation and deliver/installation in my area.

You may notice my older HP Designjet, she is going to be joined by her much younger friend, a 54 inch Mimaki Print/Cut

Any advice and constructive criticism is most welcome. I would love any and all input to make my little startup the best it can be.

Attachments

• IMG_1597.jpg
    IMG_1597.jpg
    48.2 KB · Views: 435

gnatt66

very nice. i went a lonnnnnng time without a cutting mat. now i dont know what i'd do without it. the grid is worth the price alone.

Justinglinn

Thank you

I appreciate the positive reinforcement by the true veterans here. I really respect your opinions and expertise.

If anyone else has some comments please do not hesitate. I would love to hear about any ideas to make the table even more useful. Thanks again guys!

James Burke

Being a grandpa is more fun than working
Please be kind in regard to my very humble setup.

Hey man...good things come from humble beginnings. Colonel Harland Sanders (the white haired KFG guy, for all you millennial's) started selling his chicken recipe from the trunk of his car when he was 65 years old, and he encountered hundreds (if not thousands) of rejections before his idea caught on. He surely knew the meaning of humble beginnings.

Be inspired: http://www.colonelsanders.com/bio.asp

Best wishes,

JB

bob

It's better to have two hands than one glove.
Looks like it weighs more than small steam locomotive. Unless you're planning on holding barn dances on it, the heaviest thing it has to hold is itself. More often than not it's far simpler to get a heavy duty 3x8 or larger banquet table down to your local office supply emporium and screw a larger top onto that. Just as sturdy, lighter, and has the charm of being transportable.

Regardless, the next time you build one, let the top overhang a few inches. Gives you something to which to clamp this or that. And you will want to clamp this or that from time to time.

Justinglinn

Clamps...

I wish I thought of clamps in advance! And you are correct it is as heavy as heck! I did build it sectional though. It comes a part in three pieces. I figured it would eventually travel with me to a larger place when my business grows.

I do have another question. Can anyone recommend a decent cutter? I am looking to attach one to my table and I was thinking around 60 inches might be nice.

SightLine

║▌║█║▌│║▌║▌█
I'm good with the heavy. You want the top to be as true to perfectly flat as possible. Another yes on a self healing cutting mat. Get a single piece - you can get mats up to 6 feet wide x custom lengths if you special order but 5x12 is a standard size. It will come rolled, heavy - have to let it lay flat for a few days to get the curl out.

One thing I would have done different - notch the shelves and put those leg uprights inside the top perimeter frame instead of on the outside. When working around the table you will be running into them constantly. That and as Bob mentioned, leave 2 to 3 inches of overhang - in other words make the upper perimeter frame a bit smaller than the actual top by 4 to 6 inches overall. Still very similar build to how I did ours (same size too). I did also add 6 heavy duty (but smallish 3") wheels to ours so we can roll it around which is very very handy at times.

Steve G.

Yes, Definitely an overhang and self healing mat.
These two are ten years old and work well, I wouldn't change them.
4 x 12,
4" overhang.
3.5" x 1/4" angle, 96" in between legs
2' square legs, 2" angle for everything else.
3/4" particle board tops (Two 25" x 145" counter top stock - cheap)
One table has hinged top to raise like a drawing table but I don't use it anymore, just built a big easel.
Not very hard to build with a miter saw and a welder.

Attachments

• 100_1422_1600_1200.jpg
    100_1422_1600_1200.jpg
    54.2 KB · Views: 284
  • 100_1423_1600_1200.jpg
    100_1423_1600_1200.jpg
    59.6 KB · Views: 234

Dennis422

Looks nice and quite functional. Out of curiosity, how tall is it ??

I was going to ask the same thing? It looks pretty high for any laminator to be leveled with it.
I'm getting US Tech in about 10 days and I have already checked with them about the working height of the laminator.

Justinglinn

Table height

I built it for my height. I am 6'5". I didn't run down and measure but I believe it is 40 inches. I think I remember the legs being 39 1/4 plus the 3/4 inch top.

balls! I wasn't thinking about a laminator. If everyone on this site could join me for about two weeks it would be very helpful. I will buy the pizza and beer.

petepaz

nice job and the shelves will be very useful. we have 4 tables we built and the shelves are a must.

Dennis422

I built it for my height. I am 6'5". I didn't run down and measure but I believe it is 40 inches. I think I remember the legs being 39 1/4 plus the 3/4 inch top.

balls! I wasn't thinking about a laminator. If everyone on this site could join me for about two weeks it would be very helpful. I will buy the pizza and beer.

Yup, same here, 6' 5". Thought about building it higher then I realized that it will be higher than a laminator.
You can always raise the laminator to the table.

OldPaint

nice table for weeding/applying transfer tape. but being an old "sign painter" i still use an EASEL setup to apply vinyl to sub-straight.
i just find it so much easier to align lettering, art work when its right in front of me....at a 15 degree angle off the wall. i have one in the carport near the vinyl cutter and i have one in the shop. simply a 4 ft X 8 ft 5/8" thick plywood sheet......on a couple of 2 X 4 leaning at about 15 degrees. my main reason for doing this was my bad back. weeding and tapping on a table i can sit on a stool.....applying vinyl to sign material....i do better standing up and having my work right at eye level. did this pan face yesterday. on the easel!!!
you can see the 2 X 4's and under the pan face is a 4 x 8 sheet pf plywood. sorry bout the black part, 8:30 AM sun was hitting car port to cast that shadow in the left upper corner.

Attachments

• COREL 103.jpg
    COREL 103.jpg
    69.2 KB · Views: 246

OldPaint

not a problem........the one i have in the shop, is hinged on the steel purlin and i have standouts on the back to get that 15 degree angle. i can fold up the standouts and easel is flat against the wall. as in this pic....

Attachments

• COREL 016.jpg
    COREL 016.jpg
    65.9 KB · Views: 199

SightLine

║▌║█║▌│║▌║▌█
Yes - DO account for the final height and do not forget to account for the thickness of a cutting mat when figuring this. We built ours to be about 1/8" shorter than the back table of our laminator. You want a tiny bit of drop in my opinion. Not cool if stuff coming off the laminator catches on the edge of the tables.