• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

My Roland SP300i doesn't print black and cyan after replacing new print head

Jim Hancock

Old School Technician
You have a bad head. End of story. You have proved it by swapping the old head in and printing nozzles and the new head back in again and getting nothing. If you keep trying to find a different answer by experimenting, you are going to make things worse. You have gotten excellent advice from a number of experienced techs who know what they are doing.

And we still don't know who the supplier is, which could help others. Please supply that information.

Anthony999

I have already told him that in another post.. He doesn't take our advice wisely..
Thank you. I just want to get more answers. maybe someone disassembles it :) since I cannot return it to seller for some reason, I just have to fix the new print head if possible.

damonCA21

If the head is faulty internally there is no way you can repair them. I have taken apart faulty ones so know how they are made inside, and there is nothing you can do to fix them. Reading with a multimeter won't tell you anything useful. You can read all the resistors on top of the head, but this won't help you repair it.

Why can you not return the head to the seller? If they sold you a faulty head then you can send it back to get it replaced. Is there some reason why you won't tell us where you bought it?

As Jim said, a lot of us have tried to help you on this thread. Your head is faulty, you need to replace it with a good working one. You can't fix them or make one good head out of two bad ones.

Jim Hancock

Old School Technician
Thank you. I just want to get more answers. maybe someone disassembles it :) since I cannot return it to seller for some reason, I just have to fix the new print head if possible.

There is only one answer. The head you bought is defective. It is not repairable. I'm done.

Anthony999

Thanks guys. I have to buy a new one again. I have spent around CD$500 :oops: .... where can I buy a workable print head? any recommend?

damonCA21

Where did you get a new head for $500 CD? Did you buy this from china, that is probably why it doesn't work. A new legit head would be more like $850 CD

Anthony999

I don't understand why you won't tell us the vendor...

Here's a source for a reputable supplier and they are an active member here.
Thanks for suggestion. never mind. I bought the new print head from below:
the service told me this one is totally new. I checked the reviews which are also good. maybe I am not lucky enough. they gave me partial refund for keeping the product.
any one live in Montreal in Canada can help me out? I almost give up...

damonCA21

That is a dodgy chinese seller, it is no wonder your head didnt work. I wouldnt have settled for a partial refund if it doesn't work! That is why it was half the price a working new print head would have cost. What they sold you is a used one they have flushed out that is untested and they just hope they work.
Buy a proper new head from a legitimate seller and it will fix your printer

Jim Hancock

Old School Technician
Red flags to watch for when buying printer parts:
1. Unbelievable great price.
2. Payment by wire transfer - only if you want to give away your money.
3. Vendors who sell all kinds of items besides printer parts.
4. Any vendor in the Far East/Pacific Rim - Indonesia, Maylasia, Hong Kong, etc. Some Chinese vendors are reputable but do your research and ask for feedback from here.
5. Refurbished or used printheads! Printheads are a long-term consumable in our business. They fail, period. Buy new only, from a reputable dealer. Used printheads that are defective can take out circuit boards.
6. Odd language phrasing that doesn't make sense - showing a lack of technical knowledge in our trade.
7. Reviews on websites like these can be bogus. Notice hardly any of them say what is the product they reviewed.

Last edited:

Anthony999

Thanks for reply. when I received and opened it, there is some water or oil on the print head. they said because the supplier tests the product, cleans it, and applies a protective oil before sending it out.
is any problem with the issue? is it normal with water on a totally new print head?
why did I swap cables only on head side, the machine showed me the temperature is too low?

damonCA21

Epson test them with water based inks, then they use a magenta coloured solution in the head for when it is in storage before being sold. It's not oil though, it is just like water.
The temperature too low message is what happens when a black head is faulty. The printer reads the head temperature from the black head channel, so if either the head is faulty, or the printer can't read it because of a bad cable it will give you this message

Anthony999

damonCA21

Although I have heard of people who have bought the cheap chinese heads, and they also had the magenta liquid but the heads didn't work !

damonCA21

have you ever bought print head from this web side? How long does a guarantee last? I am afraid of failure again. A local firm told me it will be more than CD$1500 to fix it. this over my budget. The machine is very old. Thanks
They are a legitimate seller and a member on the forum. Lots of people on here have bought heads from them. If you install the head carefully and follow all the steps in the service manual you should have no problem with it.
Generally Epson heads either tend to work fine from new, or not at all. They will wear out eventually, but not until they have done a lot of printing