• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

My Very First 3D Sign w/ the Shaper Origin

Have you tried printing your own tape? I'm not sure how cheap / expensive it is... But I'm sure shipping it to Canada and ordering it wouldnt be very cost effective. However printing 10-20ft on a cheap roll of vinyl, then cutting it out on.the graphtec would be very cost effective. Not sure if it's a pattern that could be copied though... One of the main reasons holding.me back from buying one though.

Yes, In fact I just printed some on vinyl the other day to apply to a permanent jig. One of the guys on the shaper forum has already release website where you can put in the size of print you want and it will print random “dominos” in the correct pattern. That’s how I printed the 30”x30 decal. I have been pondering the idea of a low tack vinyl that wouldn’t leave a residue. If you could get it cheap enough you could print the hole roll. Then have it cut down into 1” wide rolls of “tape”... no of any vinyl that might work?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NateF

Interesting that you can print your own tape. To me, the continuing cost of the tape was the big negative in the system.
Have you found that there's more waste when using the Shaper? I would think that it would be difficult to cut close the edge of a sheet.

ikarasu

Yes, In fact I just printed some on vinyl the other day to apply to a permanent jig. One of the guys on the shaper forum has already release website where you can put in the size of print you want and it will print random “dominos” in the correct pattern. That’s how I printed the 30”x30 decal. I have been pondering the idea of a low tack vinyl that wouldn’t leave a residue. If you could get it cheap enough you could print the hole roll. Then have it cut down into 1” wide rolls of “tape”... no of any vinyl that might work?

Anything labeled as removable will work. I buy $100 (70-80usd) rolls of 54" x 150 ft rolls, use them for cheap wall decorations for my kid... Comes off with no residue after even a month. So long as you buy removable, you'll be ok.

So that's 54 rolls for $100... Under $2 Canadian a roll, probably around$2-3 when including ink. Not sure how much shaper charges.. but either way that's not bad.

I like how in their video they say the tape is cheap and lasts a long time. Then proceeds to drop 8-10 lines across a 4x 8, wasting 40ft (1/3) of the material on one 4x8 :D

I'm sure you don't need to use that much, but still funny.

Going to do a bit more research... But it's looking better and better to to buy it now!

Do you know if they have or plan to have a print and cut option? It'd be cool if I could just print a design with some Domino's on it, apply it to some alupanel/Coro and have it ready the Domino's and cut out my print.

Cross Signs

We Make Them Hot and Fresh Everyday
I am really enjoying my Shaper. I bought it to help replace sandblasting signs. The cost of shaper tape in nothing when compared to the cost of Sandblast mask, cutting, weeding and applying. And the time it takes to do all that.

I am really enjoying my Shaper. I bought it to help replace sandblasting signs. The cost of shaper tape in nothing when compared to the cost of Sandblast mask, cutting, weeding and applying. And the time it takes to do all that.

Do you have any photos up where I can see signs you have made with the shaper?

This is interesting, does the z axis have any control at all?

I always thought it would be cool to hack a shaper origin on to a Roomba and make a semi autonomous router

You set the static z axis depth. It will not do 3D cutting yet.

The Kilz and Exterior latex is going to do the trick!

I am testing the 2” cut today. Maybe I won’t have to mess with laminating two pieces together...

89ab34d718aaabad4b16a149eea717bf.jpg

efd20802bccd2e73cd310640f086f044.jpg

Sandman

That looks like a pretty cool tool but calling it a CNC is a bit of a stretch. CNC = Computer Numeric Control. Well I guess it does a little work on it's own.
The letters will look good. Just hope the birds don't discover that it's styrofoam. They will shred those letters if they do.

SignMeUpGraphics

Super Active Member

Just had a look at the forum but couldn't seem to find the link. Would you be so kind as to share please?
If we can print our own tape, it would be a huge step into getting approval to buy one for the workshop.

SignMeUpGraphics

Super Active Member
Thanks for that. Unfortunately we can't pre-order yet (outside US) but still happy to put up the full value they are claiming when the product is available worldwide.

I want to float the 1” thick letters off the backboard by about 1”. What is a good way to go about making stand offs for the foam letters? Or is there something cheap enough that I should buy instead?

Gary Wiant

The shape looks interesting but I think I see an issue or 2 with your design & manufacturing of the sign.

1.) Why cut corners on materials? Use the best material you can find so it will last more than a year.

2.) Like mentioned before birds are going to absolutely love the styrofoam.

3.) Why use latex, I'm probably going to show my age but nothing lasts like some good 'old oil based enamel.

4.) My main reason for this post you can do dimensional signs without them having to be so thick, with the sign being up 15' the angle that you'll be viewing the letters is likely to make the thick sides all blend together & make it hard to read. I think you could get a similar effect with 1/2 letters, you also want to space them off the background which will cause a shadow which in turn will add more difficulty in reading the sign.

Good luck with your build.
Gary

Last edited:

Cross Signs

I had forgotten about this post. Good to see it come up again. A couple of photos of jobs done with my Shaper. All done using H.D.U. Also...Gorilla glue works great for gluing foam together, I recommend using the "clear" gorilla glue because it doesn't foam up like the other one.

Attachments

• 20180223_073645_HDR.jpg
    20180223_073645_HDR.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 612
  • 20180405_114338_Burst01.jpg
    20180405_114338_Burst01.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 581

letterman7

^ The law firm sign looks good; the address plaques look like hell. Why did you not fill the scratch marks in the material? Between those and the drips into the lettering, that's about as rank amateur as it gets. If I was your customer, I would have never accepted those.

Cross Signs

I probably shouldn't have included that photo. The plaques have a woodgrain, weathered look that just didn't show in the photo. Customer was very pleased.