• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Nail Spa Sign

visual800

All of the criticisms to date notwithstanding and the fact that both versions are dreck, the second one, with the white 'Nail Spa', provides a great demonstration of the violation of a minor design principle.

That being the red outline of the area of the text that falls outside of the red rectangle. Given the color and type of the other design elements this outline should be at least as heavy as the heaviest part of the other red text elements.

As noted, a minor principle, but in this case it tends to bring additional weight and emphasis to the other copy and, at the same time, relegate the main line of copy to secondary status. This can generate some degree of visual confusion and conflict.

Bob I read your comment 3 times and I still have no idea what the hell your saying! come again?

bob

It's better to have two hands than one glove.
Bob I read your comment 3 times and I still have no idea what the hell your saying! come again?

OK, trying again...

Consider that all of the copy save the 'Nail Salon' line in red on white. The 'Nail Salon' line is, ostensibly, white on red. But, since the 'Nail Salon' text is larger than its read box it too becomes red on white, This is because the only thing there to define it is its red outline.

When this outline is of less weight than the secondary text of the same red, the secondary text becomes more pronounced while the primary line loses authority.

Any better? Seriously, this is one of those things that's easy to comprehend but seems rather difficult to explain.

aandrews19

Played with the colors a little...

Attachments

• Sign2.1.jpg
    Sign2.1.jpg
    121.6 KB · Views: 59
  • Sign2.2.jpg
    Sign2.2.jpg
    118.9 KB · Views: 82
  • Sign2.3.jpg
    Sign2.3.jpg
    125.1 KB · Views: 76