• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

"Naturally Speaking" speach recognition software

iSign

I bought this software at Costco and it does a pretty good job of typing what I speak. It's not perfect, but since I type slowly, I think I'll get some use out of it. It cost me $50, and I used it to write a three-page letter last week. There are ways to correct spelling with voice commands, but I just fix it by typing the corrections.

This is the first time I've tried using it on the boards. I found out if I say the words go, and the word ...well, I guess I can't even say the word that's the opposite of front because my computer sends me to the previous webpage. So I'll have to turn off a setting it on be able to say that word.

Anyway, this is interesting software, but it can create some interesting mistakes at times so I thought I would just try out dictating a post to signs 101 and at the same time asking if anybody else has used this program. This is the second time I used it, and it does seem like a convenient way to get some typing done. I try to speak very clearly and break my sentences with pauses. The program does a pretty good job punctuating my work. There are detailed instructions so I could learn to get better results.

I've done some editing above this sentence, but I'll leave the rest as it came from the software.

It except us, voice commands such as saying the word new and the word paragraph is how I've created this paragraph. As you can see the plural for accept got misinterpreted by this program in this paragraph. I just need to enunciate better.

Now I'm then try a one paragraph where I'm speaking quite naturally and fairly quickly, and I'm not looking at the screen and when it's all done I'll look back and see what kind of results I get from speaking quickly.

A not bad, speak real fast owner of this thing can understand me when I speak as fast as I can put the words together and see how it types of for the last paragraph of my stupid post for everybody's at signs 101 ha ha ha ha ha... it works, sort of.

Replicator

I think I just figured out why so many posters here on 101 appear to have broken english . . .

They're using Naturally Speaking software - LOL ;-p

poboy

iSign - That was actually pretty interesting to me. It looks like you're enjoying your new toy.

My brother learned a valuable lesson concerning Spell Check last week. He is now sure to read what it's correcting before clicking OK. He sent out an email & requested a document so he could evaluate further.
Yep, you guessed it - the email sent out said ejaculate further. He was soooo embarrassed.

I personally don't have a use for the software, but I can really see where it could help a lot of people.

George, I've just got to do it...asdf jlkl; THEY'RE your friend. :smile:

Conor Knoxx

yes, I've used it before. Two mainstream companies make this stuff, IBM Via Voice and Dragon Naturally Speaking.

Its actually been around a long time, and sure has come a long way!

If it was a "Costco bargain bin" , it might not be the newest version, so might not be as accurate as some of the new ones..
Do you have to "speak" your puctuation? ie: I went to the store /period /new line/

Thats a pretty new feature (auto punctuation)

I do like dragon much better than Via voice. I don't have either currently loaded on my system ( my typing's not bad, lol.. mostly)

I also found, the more you used it, the better it worked - how ever one of the keys to making it "learn" is to use the software features for correction. If you just manually fix everything, it never "learns" from its mistakes, lol. (I think one of the commands, if you catch an error right away is "fix that" )

Also, the quality of your mic and sound card are critical to the results. Oh, yeah, and speaking clearly :p

Its amazing technology really, I'm surprised its not more widely used. Another "technology" based on this, is "on the fly/real-time translation" - which I've never tried - but I'd sure like to! Just like Star Trek and the good old "universal translater" - you talk into the device in your "native language" - its translated on the fly and broadcast in another language. Cool.

bob

It's better to have two hands than one glove.
Interesting...

I was once involved in a bit of voice recognition software. The project, which was a Really Big Deal at the time, was abandoned when it became clear that there were some philosophical problems having to do with the nature of language and epistemology in general. They were insurmountable in that they are part of the fundamental fabric of The Way Things Are.

The consensus at that time was that it was far more a parlor trick than a serious engine. For a protean voice recognition engine to be anything beyond recognizing a mere handful of sounds the notion of language will most likely have to be restated in such a way that it can accommodate the concept of language as algorithm. A highly doubtful event.

Even if it were to be done, a person typically can type as fast or faster and certainly more cogently than it can speak. Typically.

JERHEMI

Interesting indeed....and in many cases such as in someone who doesnt have the ability of using their hands to type voice recognition sofware would be great! Gotta love technology!!!

Valentino

next he'll be answering his phones with the speech function on his mac. lol.

"thank you for call island sign" in a robotic voice.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Hey Doug.... try setting that thing for 'Engrish' :Big Laugh :Big Laugh Ahh-So.....

Was this done with voice recognition software, Bob?

Now that is really funny. I wouldn't have the nerve for that one.
Ahh, yes I do. Maybe the one you tried bob didn't recognize your voice.....​

iSign

hmm... I forgot I posted this in a hurry the other day before rushing out to a 7:30 am meeting... just remembered it when I saw the nice Lily Tomlin style headset that came with my Costco software. I don't think they are prone to carrying less-then-current software. It shows 2 C-Net or PC world awards in 2006 on the box, but also has a "Vista" seal on it.

Anyway, regarding it being "typically" faster to type... I'm not typical in that regard, but of more importance, I think it will serve me best on lengthy documents that would benefit from the free flow of my thoughts, unencumbered by the limitation of my typing skills. Even if I end up with extensive editing, such that the overall times savings are limited, or lost entirely... The advantage would be the capturing of a sequence of ideas that might otherwise get bottlenecked by my poor typing.

As far as my ongoing desire to stimulate my mind and improve my self worth through continuing education... I can't think of anything I am less interested in ever doing, then typing classes :rolleyes:

Ken

I thought there was something wrong when you used the word "speach" in the subject line.
An MP3 voice recorder will also capture those free-flowing visionary statements as well, as will a cassette recorder.
It does seem to be a tough nut to crack. So many dialects within any language. Pronunciation, inflection, slang. Somebody's gotta do it...
Ken

iSign

I thought there was something wrong when you used the word "speach" in the subject line.
An MP3 voice recorder will also capture those free-flowing visionary statements as well, as will a cassette recorder.
It does seem to be a tough nut to crack. So many dialects within any language. Pronunciation, inflection, slang. Somebody's gotta do it...
Ken

oops...
that was my error, not the software.
I've mentioned I can't type.. but failed to add that I can't spell either. :cool:

As for capturing thoughts on audio equipment... if the end result needs to be typed, this program saves me a lot of time even if I do have to edit some of it.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Sounds like dementia setting in. Be careful.... you start saying like you can be white what we say to the other croutons in the bowl of roses for so many guns and seasons coming up down next week end over to the law-ins for a relaxing BBQ. Sounds like I won't be in tune for the showing. I remember 12 years ago, it's what I was thinking in the last 15 minutes that scares me.

Colin

Do I get a prize for resurrecting the oldest thread?

I got Dragon Naturally Speaking a couple years ago for my XP machine, and just got the free update for it to work on Win7. There is a bug though which, after considerable time, I figured out how to fix. So if anyone needs help getting it to work properly on Win7, let me know.