Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Need a bigger vinyl cutter for side work

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous Plotters' started by blackbok, Jun 14, 2005.

1. blackbok

blackbok Member

May 31, 2005
    Howdy. Don't know if this is the right section, so if not, feel free to move it.
    I am currently using my old and somewhat trusty Roland Stika STX-12 for my home buisiness. It is high time that I move up to a bigger, faster, more reliable cutter. I am hoping to get suggestions on what would be the best "bang for the buck". My budget is not huge, so bear with me. Just looking for something to make taking on window displays and car graphics easier than piecing together a bunch of 9.5" high strips.
    I bought this machine from a friend 4 years ago, and so I have never bought a new machine, or even looked for one. So, I am looking for some advice from people who have been through this.

Thanks in advance!

Tags:
  2. Techman

Techman Major Contributor

Jun 24, 2003
    michigan
    Summa, or graphtec, or Advanced Plotting Devices. At least a 24" at the very least.
    No cat or bird cutters.

3. OldPaint

OldPaint Major Contributor

"would be the best "bang for the buck". My budget is not huge"
    either your business is growing or you wouldnt be even thinking of a bigger cutter....and price is not the issue.....you will make it back or you can sell it for for close to same you paid for a new one.
    that said since you have used rolands...pick up a used PNC-960, PNC-950, PNC-1210, PNC-1100. also the CM/CX 24. if you want to ...and think you will stay in the business...look at the roland pro series 300, 400...machines....your gona spend $1000-$3000 so pick a number and get goin.

4. Decal_Designs

Decal_Designs Member

May 10, 2003
    Fox Lake
    To stay on a budget, you could also consider a referbished Summa D60 They have a warranty, and you save a few bucks too.

"Moving up" to anything less than a 24" cutter would be a waste of your money.

5. sdgenxr

sdgenxr Member

Apr 14, 2005
    I have to agree with Decal_Designs and suggest a Summa. I picked one up last month to start my business and absolutely LOVE it! But if you have a good client base then go with Old Paint's recommendations.