• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Need a fast way to cut off decals

skdave

I'm printing on a Roland SP540.
We have a large decal print and cut job. 20,000 1"x3" No problem printing and contour cutting.
My question is how to cut them into eaches {sp} on the Roland.
Or which "cutter" can I buy to cut into eaches. :thankyou:

iSign

so you have the job already?

And part of the job you agreed to was cutting in units?

so, how much are you charging for that part of the job?

How about the other part of the job? good money there?
almost 50 per ft... so i could see selling as low as 10 cents each

a $2000 order... yeah, maybe I'd even go to 4 cents... or $1600 with contour cuts...

but cutting in units? my client can do that just as well as i can... there is no great automated way to do that I'm aware of...

...so, are you saying you already "sold" that part of the job, and you have no idea how you are going to get it done? How does someone set a price for a job they don't know how to do? Do you think you charged enough for cutting them in units?

please don't tell me you just threw it in to get the job... that is manual freakin labor... and LOTS of it... I would charge at least $500 to do that... and that is pretty much how I get my clients to do it there own selves! I usually charge 10 cents each for cutting up decals. i pay my employees, and watch their time... and I might not "lose money" at a nickle.. but i ain't here simply to "not lose money" ...I'm here to make money, and if i'm going to pull a qualified sign production professional, off running one of my 10's of thousands of dollars worth of software & hardware, to take my $30 rotary cutter from costco, along with an xacto and cut mat... and spend several hours on some tedious mundane chore my client can do themselves... well, I make damn sure i'm making money when i do it...

sorry for the rant... it's not directed at you skdave... more at all the customers over the years who think i should just throw it in...

iSign

look into a keencut, or a long rotary cutter to cut rows off the large prints... then a short rotary cutter to cut units off the long rows

skdave

isign your rant assumes a lot of false issues.
I get a kick out people that make assumptions.
You may know what ASS U ME stands for.:thankyou:

royster13

If your original post gave more information no one would have to guess and more folks could help....And to go after someone that trying to help is pretty lame.....If you do not like what you read bite your tongue and ignore it.....

iSign

isign your rant assumes a lot of false issues.
I get a kick out people that make assumptions.
You may know what ASS U ME stands for.:thankyou:

I still assume you don't know what the phuque you are doing & are losing money for not knowing... and are too chickenshit to come on here and tell us just how backasswards your sell/learn workflow may be...

but the difference is that an hour ago, I was willing to help you through the progression from clueless fool, to salvaging some of the failure you are teetered on the brink of... whereas now i'm more incline to wish you a fair price at your liquidation sale.

aloha means goodbye too

iSign

and further more, if you have even a halfwit level of reading comprehension, you would realize that the time i spent writing was extended to choose my words carefully... so, U can make an ASS out of Urself if you want... but there aint a single goddamn assumption if you look closer... do you know what a ? means by any chance? my post is full of questions, leading to hypothetical scenarios of how things work in my shop... nowhere do I say you MUST be a phuqing fool, with no business sense & no idea what the hell you are doing. If i say you ARE are fool... that is an assumption... if i say WTF... are you a fool? that is just a question... and if i say you seem like a fool to me... that is just an opinion...

TrustMoore_TN

Sign & Graphics Business Consultant
If I had that job I would probably print them as "press sheets" and print registation marks around the perimeter of a set of 100 let's say, then do your contour cuts and leave the outside registration marks on the sheets. Then trim take them to a commercial printer with a guillotine cutter and cut a stack of them apart into individual labels. Think of how they do business cards. Call a printer and tell them what you are trying to do and they'll be more specific about how to set it up. Just my .02

Charlie J

If I had that job I would probably print them as "press sheets" and print registation marks around the perimeter of a set of 100 let's say, then do your contour cuts and leave the outside registration marks on the sheets. Then trim take them to a commercial printer with a guillotine cutter and cut a stack of them apart into individual labels. Think of how they do business cards. Call a printer and tell them what you are trying to do and they'll be more specific about how to set it up. Just my .02

Pretty good idea. Guillotines are sweet!

TrustMoore_TN

Sign & Graphics Business Consultant

Grafix USA

+1 or simply send them to the customer in sheets of 100 and let them distribute as they wish. But with that many decals Stouse would be the preferred method. I have learned the hard way by spending way too much time doing the stuff I can pay others to do and still make a nice profit.

Why don't you fill us in on how you priced this job?

signhere

I'm with Poconopete and sub it out to a decal printer who can die cut them, pack in 50's and go drop them off.
good luck!

bob

It's better to have two hands than one glove.
Without some really impressive equipment, of which you have none, there is no fast or efficient way to either print or cut 20,000 of anything. Sub this out to someone with the proper tackle.

threeputt

Bluemoon and Valhalla..good posts. Trying to help the guy with sound ideas. Subbing it out is also a viable path.

Cranking on the OP seems like piling on to me.