• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Need a Mac...

Rick

Certified Enneadecagon Designer
I just realized CDiesel is a pretty smart person, a better businessman than me. I believe if he can spend a few of thousand bucks to make an employee happy and productive, than they are going to make more money in the long run. This designer must be a good catch, noticing this by making minor adjustments makes CDiesel is an employer I wouldn't mind working for.

If it were the other way around, I would hope I would do the same thing.

I feel all warm and fuzzy now...

The Vector Doctor

Chief Bezier Manipulator
I did not read every post in detail but nowhere does it say that Cdiesels' employee insisted on getting a mac. One possibility is that he is being a nice guy and wants to offer the employee this new hardware. Heck having a mac might be helpful in certain situations

For some buying a new computer is a big expense and for others it is no big deal. This new mac could be replacing what is already an aging PC. Two birds, one stone

WildWestDesigns

I just realized CDiesel is a pretty smart person, a better businessman than me. I believe if he can spend a few of thousand bucks to make an employee happy and productive, than they are going to make more money in the long run.

That's if the other people that work for him don't mind it. Doing special favors is a double edged sword both with that one employee that is getting the favor and with the other employees as well.

choucove

It only rules in the same vain as a Bud Light drinker saying Coors Light is horse urine. It's brand worship hyperbole.

"Professionally trained" only applies to a graphics student when he is properly learning actual subjects in design rather than merely figuring out how to click around in Photoshop. The computing hardware is nothing more than a tool. It isn't some sort of magic cape that delivers super creative powers. The student must possess some natural talent. The teacher must have a command on the topic. It's not enough to merely teach applications. But that's what most places offering what passes for "design training" do.

It makes no difference what hardware a so-called design school chooses to run. If anything, the choice of putting Mac hardware on the desks is more of a marketing ploy to attract students. It subscribes to the stereotype that all professional graphics work is created on Macs. The kids get all the warm and fuzzy feelings of seeing Macs on the desks. They're less inclined to ask themselves if the person doing the "teaching" is even qualified to be there.

More hyperbole. The applications and periphreals are doing far more in producing the work than the operating system. A Mac based install of Adobe InDesign isn't going to do anything more or anything better than a PC running the same program and using the same fonts.

The Mac platform hasn't been superior to Windows in graphics production since the mid 1990s. Back then the Mac platform had superior versions of Adobe Illustrator and exclusive applications like LivePicture. Windows 3.1/NT/95 didn't have much in terms of color calibration tools. Back then graphics work was all print oriented. Then the web took off in popularity. So did 3D gaming and visual effects. Apple nearly went out of business before Steve Jobs swooped in and saved the company.

I think the Mac platform is in trouble again, and deliberately so by Apple's own doing. The company is making a lot more money selling iPods, iPhones and iPads to consumers than it is from catering to a niche base of creative professional workers. One of my friends who does professional video work is very angry over what Apple did to his beloved Final Cut Studio with the update from FCP 7 to FCP X. Apple doesn't care because dominating the personal computing market doesn't fit with their grand plan. Apple thinks it can get its rivals to chase them 100% into the consumer gadget market space, effectively kill off the personal computer workstation as we know it and have everyone using portable tablets instead. So far, I think their plan is working.

The user demographics aren't there for the virus writers to bother with making Mac-oriented viruses.

As of August 2011 the worldwide share of computers running versions of the MacOS was 7.31%; versions of MS Windows were on 82.5% of computer systems. Other operating systems like Linux, Sun Solaris, etc. have the remaining balance.

Most writers of computer malware are in it for the money. Windows systems are the biggest target. The vast majority of businesses worldwide run Windows-based clients. The Mac user base is a niche with a lot less money to steal. Students, young people and workers in certain fields (like newspaper publishing or video editing) represent the bulk of the OSX market. A computer thief isn't going to find much to steal by breaking into any of those machines. I guarantee if most computer users were using Macs there absolutely would be a lot of Mac-based computer viruses spreading in the wild.

OSX being UNIX-based is no guarantee either. Other UNIX-based things have been targeted by viruses, such as the Apache server under Linux. The folks at Apple aren't stupid enough to think their product is completely immune either. Proof of concept viruses have been made for OSX and the classic Mac OS. And Apple has indeed patched OSX with security updates on numerous occaisions.

Mac OSX was not engineered by some god or superhero. It was made by fallible human beings, just like all other operating systems and computing applications. Lots of computer software engineers and scientists have migrated between Microsoft, Apple, Oracle, Sun, IBM and various other companies over the decades.

All I can really say here is thank you for your post!

There's a lot of valid points throughout this thread, and, just like any Mac vs. PC thread on here there is also a lot of misconception which has been pushed forward through stereotyping and marketing ploys for nearly 20 years now.

Ignoring the entire Mac vs. PC debate and focusing on the original topic of integrating a single Mac computer into an all PC office. Wow. While this is possible, get ready for a lot more work. Not only are you going to have the extra expense of the computer system itself (and yes, the guaranteed higher cost of upgrading it so long as you keep and use Mac computers) but you now have to purchase TWO copies of all your software and all future upgrades: one that is PC compatible and one that is Mac compatible. The cost difference there alone is hard for any business to just shrug off.

Next you have compatibility to consider. As has been pointed out above, some modern software out there can pass file types back and forth easily, but there are a LOT that cannot, so you will have to be very careful about making sure what software is compatible with both of your systems as well as what file types work with both systems. Connecting up and sharing information on the network between these two different platforms can be challenging as well, it's not always just plug in and start grabbing shared files like it's sometimes made out to seem so simple.

As a local computer business, I've had a few different offices ask me if they could integrate a Mac computer into their offices just for a particular person. Once I start writing out all the costs involved, the extra steps necessary to try and make that computer system "play nicely" with the rest, and the changes that will have to be made company-wide to incorporate the upkeep, maintenance, software, and compatibility of that one different computer they just are dumbfounded. My only recommendation can be if you're going to go Mac, go ALL Mac systems, or just go ALL PC systems. Yes, it's possible to use both in the same environment, but you have to be careful and you have to know what you are doing. I'd highly recommend if you plan to do this that you also look for a reliable computer technician, either a single subcontracted technician or a trusted computer business, that can help you out because I guarantee his skills will be necessary for making things work right.

MikePro

WOW geeez... well, ok. Mac propoganda squashed...
was just trying to derail the rants and redirect to the OP, but thanks for taking personal offense.

HulkSmash

My only recommendation can be if you're going to go Mac, go ALL Mac systems, or just go ALL PC systems. Yes, it's possible to use both in the same environment, but you have to be careful and you have to know what you are doing.

You're making it sound so much more difficult then it really is....

If people are using Mac's in a "Sign Shop" 90% of the time it's because it's being used as a design tool. Photoshop, Illy, Corel, etc.....All of which, the file types, are complementary to a PC....

We use Macs, A rip that runs solely off of Linux, and PC's. Zero problems.

Whenever you save in those programs.. they can be opened on ANY operating system.. mac or PC..doesn't matter.

He wants to spend the money on his employee, and have interracial computers, then so be it!

The best advice ive ever heard in business is that,
"You have to spend a lot of money, to make even more money"

WildWestDesigns

I did not read every post in detail but nowhere does it say that Cdiesels' employee insisted on getting a mac.

I didn't see it in those words either, but cdiesel did say that the guy was bringing his mac laptop to do his work on. That seems to me like the worker was really trying to get it across that he wanted a MAC work station.

When it comes to something like this, I think being all one or the other would be the best way to go. Unless you get files from people that don't play nicely with one platfrom over the other and it's not the same platform that runs your equipment.

Most files that get sent to me are the adobe suite files or your standard raster files which aren't platform dependant. I would imagine that that is a pretty common instance for most of us. Now, I will send out certain files that as far as I know all the software out there that is able to read those files is windows based, but I don't receive files that have that stipulation with them.

WildWestDesigns

If people are using Mac's in a "Sign Shop" 90% of the time it's because it's being used as a design tool. Photoshop, Illy, Corel, etc.....All of which, the file types, are complementary to a PC....

I thought CorelDraw was only available on Windows except for that one version? I know Painter is available on both platforms, but I thought Draw wasn't.

Baz

I did not read every post in detail but nowhere does it say that Cdiesels' employee insisted on getting a mac. One possibility is that he is being a nice guy and wants to offer the employee this new hardware. Heck having a mac might be helpful in certain situation

My understanding is that this designer is a die hard mac fan and brings his own "old and slow" computer at work. Obviously he doesn't want to work on the computers that his employer presently owns. Yeah .. i agree .. CDiesel is a really nice guy in wanting to reward him with a nice new mac but geez ... I guess im just not as generous. No warm and fuzzy feelings in my shop :noway: ... Unless it's when i buy the custom made italian sandwiches for lunch :Big Laugh then i'm such a great boss :clapping:

Rick

Certified Enneadecagon Designer
My understanding is that this designer is a die hard mac fan and brings his own "old and slow" computer at work. Obviously he doesn't want to work on the computers that his employer presently owns. Yeah .. i agree .. CDiesel is a really nice guy in wanting to reward him with a nice new mac but geez ... I guess im just not as generous. No warm and fuzzy feelings in my shop :noway: ... Unless it's when i buy the custom made italian sandwiches for lunch :Big Laugh then i'm such a great boss :clapping:

I love custom made italian sandwiches too... gimme a PC with Corel and leave the sandwich by my desk please...
:rock-n-roll:

(Yeah, I can be bought with cold cuts, cheese and bread, it's lunch time over here)

The Vector Doctor

Chief Bezier Manipulator
Interesting question. Why do you think it goes this way?

I dunno. But like what was mentioned earlier. On this forum, when somebody says, hey look at my new Car A all the people that love Cars X, Y and Z don't go telling him how much of a bad decision they made. Why is everyone so testy about Macs/PC's?

signmeup

How does your new guy design stuff with the operating system? (See how stupid that sounds?)

Make him use software to design stuff the same as the rest of us... and tell him to quit being a prima donna.

Bobby H

Arial Sucks.
MikePro said:
was just trying to derail the rants and redirect to the OP, but thanks for taking personal offense.

When you publish a quote of me saying something I never really said I'll have every right to take offense.

MikePro

Ignoring the entire Mac vs. PC debate and focusing on the original topic of integrating a single Mac computer into an all PC office. Wow. While this is possible, get ready for a lot more work. Not only are you going to have the extra expense of the computer system itself (and yes, the guaranteed higher cost of upgrading it so long as you keep and use Mac computers) but you now have to purchase TWO copies of all your software and all future upgrades: one that is PC compatible and one that is Mac compatible. The cost difference there alone is hard for any business to just shrug off.
good point.
also noted that Adobe software is transferrable between platforms...

I buy CS5 to run on my PC, but what happens when I decide to switch to Mac?
I download the software from Adobe and register it with the code used to register my PC version.
Cost to transfer: $0.00

signmeup

I dunno. But like what was mentioned earlier. On this forum, when somebody says, hey look at my new Car A all the people that love Cars X, Y and Z don't go telling him how much of a bad decision they made. Why is everyone so testy about Macs/PC's?
Mac users exhibit an air of superiority in their choice to use Apple products. They are elite designers and require special equipment that a mere mortal PC user wouldn't understand.

With cars there is actually a difference. A Toyota really does work better than a Yugo.