• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Need a Mac...

signmeup

All I can really say here is thank you for your post!

There's a lot of valid points throughout this thread, and, just like any Mac vs. PC thread on here there is also a lot of misconception which has been pushed forward through stereotyping and marketing ploys for nearly 20 years now.

Ignoring the entire Mac vs. PC debate and focusing on the original topic of integrating a single Mac computer into an all PC office. Wow. While this is possible, get ready for a lot more work. Not only are you going to have the extra expense of the computer system itself (and yes, the guaranteed higher cost of upgrading it so long as you keep and use Mac computers) but you now have to purchase TWO copies of all your software and all future upgrades: one that is PC compatible and one that is Mac compatible. The cost difference there alone is hard for any business to just shrug off.

Next you have compatibility to consider. As has been pointed out above, some modern software out there can pass file types back and forth easily, but there are a LOT that cannot, so you will have to be very careful about making sure what software is compatible with both of your systems as well as what file types work with both systems. Connecting up and sharing information on the network between these two different platforms can be challenging as well, it's not always just plug in and start grabbing shared files like it's sometimes made out to seem so simple.

As a local computer business, I've had a few different offices ask me if they could integrate a Mac computer into their offices just for a particular person. Once I start writing out all the costs involved, the extra steps necessary to try and make that computer system "play nicely" with the rest, and the changes that will have to be made company-wide to incorporate the upkeep, maintenance, software, and compatibility of that one different computer they just are dumbfounded. My only recommendation can be if you're going to go Mac, go ALL Mac systems, or just go ALL PC systems. Yes, it's possible to use both in the same environment, but you have to be careful and you have to know what you are doing. I'd highly recommend if you plan to do this that you also look for a reliable computer technician, either a single subcontracted technician or a trusted computer business, that can help you out because I guarantee his skills will be necessary for making things work right.
So after you do all this for this one designer... what do you do when they quit a week later?

The Vector Doctor

Chief Bezier Manipulator
Mac users exhibit an air of superiority in their choice to use Apple products. They are elite designers and require special equipment that a mere mortal PC user wouldn't understand.

You are generalizing. I see just as many rants against Apple by pro PC users

Joe Diaz

I just realized CDiesel is a pretty smart person, a better businessman than me. I believe if he can spend a few of thousand bucks to make an employee happy and productive, than they are going to make more money in the long run. This designer must be a good catch, noticing this by making minor adjustments makes CDiesel is an employer I wouldn't mind working for.

If it were the other way around, I would hope I would do the same thing.

I feel all warm and fuzzy now...

I agree.

I think Bobby H speaks the truth. A lot of what he says is spot on. Actually all of it is. They're just tools at the end of the day. They don't magically grant a craftsman special powers, but at the same time, I don't see a problem with letting a designer pick out his or her own setup if it makes them happy.

At my old job I was in the same situation as this designer, but in reverse. My employers, Mac based, bought a PC for me because I would be more productive on one. and I was. However, it wasn't because I was that much more productive on a different brand of hardware or an OS, it was the software on that OS that made the difference. Since I can design circles around myself using Corel vs using Illustrator, and since Corel is windows only, It made sense. In addition to that the other advantage to throwing a PC into the mix was the printer we were using at the time had a superior RIP software that also happened to be windows only.

The Mac fanatics at work gave me hard time at first, until they saw how much more productive I was, and I also think in part they somehow believed that a PC with Corel wouldn't be able to do all the things they could do.

The problem with that setup however was that the PC and Macs didn't always communicate the best with eachother. That was several years ago, so I'm sure that has been improved over time. I say get the designer his mac if it makes him happy. A happy employee is a productive employee. Any problems you run into, I'm sure you will be able to overcome. We did.

Last edited:

choucove

Any problems you run into, I'm sure you will be able to overcome. We did.

Yes, this is a good way to look at it. It's true that setting up a work network with multiple operating systems takes a little more forethought and planning, but it's doable. I'm just suggesting that you be prepared for your leap and know your parachute has been packed by someone you trust rather than trying to stumble out the door and hope you'll find which one is the rip cord on the way down.

Adobe is one of the best software companies to ensure for cross-platform compatibility and licensing issues, and they are greatly applauded throughout the numerous industries they are used for that fact. Actually, that's probably played a major role in why they continue to be so popular and universal. However, there's a lot of software designers out there that aren't so friendly to use back and forth on OSX and a PC.

Perhaps it would help to have more information on specifically what software the designer is using and specifically what on their Mac they are wanting. That can make a big difference in what you're costs may be in getting set up.

Either way my biggest suggestion is get a local technician who can determine for you how to set everything up properly and keep it running for you properly. Trust me, I make a business of it and get calls daily from people who think they know how easy it is to set up their own office network with a bunch of hacked together computers and end up wasting thousands of dollars and weeks of downtime trying to get it working right just to have it all come crashing down around them. When you want to integrate multiple operating systems of any kind into your business, you need to get a trusted expert's input who can really examine your current setup, your current software, your current network, your current file sharing and user access permissions... It's just better to plan it to begin with than spend thousands of dollars trying to fix what could have been easily planned and prevented to begin with.

Bobby H

Arial Sucks.
MikePro said:
wanted to quote you properly, but I got the "maximum characters exceeded" message

Yet another snarky response.

In other forums your fake quote attributed to me would not only be instantly cleaned up by moderators, but you might actually get your forum membership put on temporary or permanent suspension.

Coloradosigns said:
I honestly have no idea. We don't use Corel Draw, but if it isn't available on mac, then that's dumb.

I agree. However, I don't know this for certain, but I'm pretty sure CorelDRAW for OSX was discontinued due to poor sales.

Over the past 20 years I can recall lots of Illustrator and Freehand fans dissing Corel, often without ever having used the software. Being a Windows-only product was enough for many FH and AI fans to dismiss it. So when Corel finally did make a Mac version (for the then-new OSX) I wasn't surprised it was met with a less than ideal reception.

Why develop a product for a certain operating system if the users there aren't going to buy it? At least Corel tried. If I recall correctly they even had both PC and Mac installers in the same SKU box. The only time I ever saw Adobe include both Mac and PC installers on the same disc was with LiveMotion 1.0.

With software going more and more to downloads the issue of physical discs in product packaging is becoming less of a problem in supporting Mac, PC and other computing platforms. The biggest issue for developers still remains: having enough customers on a given platform to justify that version's development in the first place. I've seen some Linux fans gripe about Adobe not releasing native versions there. The situation there is a mess. Which distro do you support or not support? Adobe tried (briefly) in releasing some versions of their apps for Sun and Silicon Graphics IRIX back in the early 1990s but they didn't generate the sales to justify continued development.

FrankenSigns.biz

I know with certainty that Mac's are superior computers. But some folks here who determine that anyone who is not quickly converted to their PC convictions will quickly resort to personally attacking them for implying anything close to what I stated in the previous sentence. I think it's kind of weird to be verbally attacked over such a thing, but it has happened.

MikePro

Yet another snarky response.

In other forums your fake quote attributed to me would not only be instantly cleaned up by moderators, but you might actually get your forum membership put on temporary or permanent suspension.
i like how you keep coming back to it as if I said anything out of line.
find a better way to vent, imho

summarizing is hardly an attack on your character... nor do I see how anyone would actually take administrative action over me calling you "awesome" and myself an "idiot".
cheer up. you're the one that decided to turn this thread into a Mac vs. PC debate in the first place, all because I had the gall to say "mac's rule". so shoot me. thanks for clarifying how much you know otherwise.

apologies for my ignorance, again, but if you're a PC... thank god i'm a Mac.

Bly

Oh really. It's just an OS.
Tell him to learn the different keyboard shortcuts and get on with his job.

Bobby H

Arial Sucks.
MikePro said:
summarizing is hardly an attack on your character... nor do I see how anyone would actually take administrative action over me calling you "awesome" and myself an "idiot".

You didn't summarize what I said. You wrote something completely different that I never said.

I never called you an idiot. I never made any attempt to imply it. All I did was give detailed, specific responses. Your fake quote of me is something that's only going on in your head.

2972renfro

Diesel.... can you just give us some more info so we can put this thread to rest? Did the employee push you or are you wanting an excuse to add a Mac to your mix?

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
It's kind of funny some are arguing that no one can tell if the output was done on a PC or Mac.
I'm thinking that just by reading these posts most can get a pretty good idea which ones have been typed out on an Apple product and likewise ID those done on a PC.
Or maybe I'm just projecting.....

wayne k
guam usa

Mike F

It's kind of funny some are arguing that no one can tell if the output was done on a PC or Mac.
I'm thinking that just by reading these posts most can get a pretty good idea which ones have been typed out on an Apple product and likewise ID those done on a PC.

wayne k
guam usa

Not to get technical, but you can tell when a Mac user sends a file to a PC. Along with "filewhatever.txt", there's generally an accompanying ".filewhatever.txt" file with it. Kinda gets on my nerves, especially since when sorted alphabetically, the 2 files get grouped together, so say you have 6 files for a job that are put on a PC from a Mac, that's 12 files in your folder. Might not seem like a big deal but when you get to around 100+ files in a folder and half of them are ".file" files it becomes a bit much. I believe they're known as resource files and they contain information on the file they're related to. No gotdang clue why you would want to create a hidden file for almost every file you have, but hey, I'm not a genius like Steve Jobs.

Then there's the .DS_Store file that gets generated whenever a Mac user accesses a directory. What's up with that?

If Macs need the files they need them, but to dump them into other OSes like a trail of Apple-flavored breadcrumbs reminds me of back in school when kids used to write "JOHNNY WUZ HERE" in random places, just so that those that came afterward could know that in fact, Johnny was there. Seriously, they can't figure out a way to recognize what OS they're communicating with and leave those files out when it's not a Mac OS?

WildWestDesigns

wayne k
guam usa

Some of my posts have been done on my iMac and some on my PC. Can you tell which one(s)?

Mike F is true, you can tell using that info, but as far as the end result in what you are seeing on your computer it's the same. I don't have to do different options with the Mac Ai files that I get versus ones done on the PC.

hydo1

I can't stand the new IMacs and the shiny screens, but that's what I would get (maybe with a matte screen for a second monitor)

Or just get him a shiny new PC fully loaded with CS5 and tell him to stick it. I'm a Mac guy too, but I can make the program work in either one with only a little adjustment on the keyboard shortcuts...

I agree with Rick, this guy works for you and should work on your equipment. I bet you can get a tricked out i7 setup with dual 24" monitors for less than $1200. Let him macsturbate at home on his own time.

Rick

Certified Enneadecagon Designer
I agree with Rick, this guy works for you and should work on your equipment. I bet you can get a tricked out i7 setup with dual 24" monitors for less than $1200. Let him macsturbate at home on his own time.

I later said this.....

I just realized CDiesel is a pretty smart person, a better businessman than me. I believe if he can spend a few of thousand bucks to make an employee happy and productive, than they are going to make more money in the long run. This designer must be a good catch, noticing this by making minor adjustments makes CDiesel is an employer I wouldn't mind working for.

If it were the other way around, I would hope I would do the same thing.

I feel all warm and fuzzy now...

Let me break this down.. Mac vs.PC who gives a rats ass..

Chris your new guy wants a Mac.. Get it for him investment is very minimal to get a great ROI on a graphics guy.

All you others your opinions are not needed... The new guy at the shop wants a Mac the OP (a very smart owner, partner and friend of ours). knows whats up...

Minimal investment to keep a new employee happy and psyched at the fact you would cater to his needs. I see it as $2K spent for endless revenue in the long run.. Motivated employee ready to give 110% to your company.

For real... Mac, PC or a damn Xbox who cares if you are gonna make money from the front end purchase..

choucove

While an iMac would probably work just fine to do all of your design work really, I'd suggest if you're going to spend the money to get the Mac Pro. Casey made a very valid point before that it's built using much higher performance and higher quality hardware. These things are built specifically for high performance computing. If you get a high-performance design system from Dell, HP, or whatever, it's going to be using the same type of hardware that's in the Mac Pro so that's what you are going to really get the most efficiency from doing design intensive work. Additionally, this system is going to be much more upgradable than the compact form iMac system.

jasonx

We installed a Mac Pro for our graphic designer because this is what she is used to and got trained with.

Get them what they want and they'll feel valued.

I'm a PC person I have built faster machines then that mac pro for a lot less then what it costs. But that's beside the point.

Attachments

• macpro.jpg
    macpro.jpg
    54.2 KB · Views: 128