• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Need a Mimaki Tech

laxpinnies

Does anyone know a good mimaki tech in the DC/MD/VA area?

Need service for a banding/ink dropout issue on a Mimaki JV-300.

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
Are you not in warranty still? These machines came out less than a year ago, it should still be under warranty.

Gary Wiant

If you have to pay for a technician to fix your printer your going to spend way more than you saved by running third party inks.

Andy D

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought that there was a court ruling that Companies can't void warranties
if the user uses off brand ink.. ( It may not have been a ruling specifically for just printer)

Andy D

Just came across this:
"It is correct that the use of 3rd party inks does not automatically void your warranty here in the USA because of the Magnusson-Moss Warranty Act and the Sherman Anti-Trust Act."

And if it is proven that the 3rd party ink caused the problem the Ink company you use should have a warranty to cover that, mine does.

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
Once you put 3rd party ink in your machine, all Mimaki has to do is say that the ink is the problem and then they don't have to send you a print head or any other ink related parts on warranty. They would still be responsible for motors, and electrical boards as they are not affected by the ink. Your head clogged within the first year? All Mimaki has to do is say is, the majority of our users do not get clogged heads within the first year when using our inks. This customer is not, therefor it must be the ink. You would have to bring them to court to get them to reverse their decision which is not going to be worth the time and money and you might still lose. Also, if you modify the machine from it's original factory spec by putting a 3rd party bulk cartridge system on there, it voids the warranty as well as the equipment was not made by Mimaki. So yes, they do have to honor the warranty when you use 3rd party inks but as soon as they say the ink or bulk system is causing the problem, you are done.

laxpinnies

If you have to pay for a technician to fix your printer your going to spend way more than you saved by running third party inks.

We go through enough ink that, using 3rd party has saved us more than the price of the printer.

Talked to Mimaki, still under warranty. We will see how it goes...

Gary Wiant

That's Great, I've been quoted 3rd party inks at only a few bucks ( Maybe $10 at the most ) a cartridge cheaper than OEM. To me it's worth knowing that if something goes wrong it won't be a battle between Mimaki stating that the 3rd party inks caused the issue and the Ink Mfg. stating that the issue is with the printer.

Good Luck

dmfahie

That's Great, I've been quoted 3rd party inks at only a few bucks ( Maybe $10 at the most ) a cartridge cheaper than OEM. To me it's worth knowing that if something goes wrong it won't be a battle between Mimaki stating that the 3rd party inks caused the issue and the Ink Mfg. stating that the issue is with the printer.

Good Luck
Agreed Gary. Charge a bit more (or what should be charged). I run only OEM ink.

Gary Wiant

Yep plus if I agreed to use OEM Iinks I was given an additional year warranty so that adds another about an additional $3450

Brink

We go through enough ink that, using 3rd party has saved us more than the price of the printer.

Nice. I want to be doing what you are doing. If you saved $35 per cartridge, that's 570 cartridges per year. Even if third party ink saved you 100% of retail on ink, that's 182 cartridges in a year. That really kicking butt either way.

TheSFG

any update OP? I have only used factory inks and am getting banding as well. ran all the calibration processes and still there. multiple nozzle washes, hard and soft cleanings, discharge and wash, and finally ink fill ups and its still there. I am reduced to 16 pass death and its killing our efficiency. any help would be very much appreciated guys!

MikePro

Good Luck
I'll take $$$ over luck anyday:
pays to shop for options...
when I was running my JV3, Fellers/AdvantageGS/Grimco all supplied me OEM ink at ~$110 per cartridge... and that was after I beat them up on pricing, catalog was $120something at the time.
I switched to Bordeaux 3rd party inks, at $59 per cartridge, nearly 2 years into owning the printer.
ran the printer, without issue, for 6 years on 3rd party inks... amounting to approx. $55,000 in savings. (assuming an average of 2 sets of ink per month, which I ran more-than most of the time)
My printer, brand-new, was maybe $30k.

No wonder they will do whatever they can to keep you running "OEM".
Granted, my shop is small potatoes compared to the bigger-fish out there but I would have spent over a hundred thousand dollars in ink half a decade. what do you think it actually costs them to produce?

Gary Wiant

I'll stay OEM, If I have an issue I know it is Mimaki and not a run around between Mimaki & the 3rd Party Ink, and in the end I don't pay for the ink my customers do, and I have peace of mind that the inks will last and no issues if the 3rd party changes any formulations.

gabagoo

I pay $50 for a 1/2 litre bottle of Bestjet...that is a pretty large savings and since switching over I have never needed to run print adjustments. I can't tell for sure but I do think that this particular brand of ink is a little more gummy and needs slightly more cleaning than OEM ink.

jfiscus

Rap Master
I know he may be a bit far but our local Mimaki tech is independent so he is cheaper than most, even with travel involved. Chris Wallace 513-317-3351