• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Need a new computer!!

Dimension

Hey guys, I am getting ready to purchase a new computer, and I would like some feedback on what i should get so I dont have to get another in a year,It has to be able to handle large photoshop files etc for wraps

OldPaint

GET ONE BUILT FOR YOUR APPLICATIONS. off the shelf bestbuy are junk for sign work. most have none or 1 expansion slot..........

Locals Find!

check out signburst PCs he is a merchant member here. He builds computers for our trade specifically. Pricing is very competitive with the big box stores and you get a computer designed for your actual needs in mind.

+1 for signburst.

I bought a Inferno from Casey about a year and a half ago and it has been awesome.by far the best computer I have ever had hands down. They are definitely worth the investment.

landdesigns

Make sure your programs will work with the newer operating system on new computer, updating programs can get expensive.

Dimension

Thanks, I will contact signburst, I was going to purchase Flexi 10 as well ,maybe he can help with a package deal. This brings me to another question; most of the software I have rus in XP, and with windows 7 pro, I'm told XP software is compatible. I am more concerned with 32bit vs. 64bit, being compatible with the output devices, Ill be running a Mutoh VJ 1204 and a graphtec Q 160, anybody see any problems? I am very new to digital print, Ive been cutting vinyl for years, dont want to screw this up and spend money i dont need to.

WildWestDesigns

With Pro and Ultimate you can run an XP virtual drive that should be able to handle what you are talking about.

I think Signburst was offering some deals on Flexi, I don't know if that stopped with the passing of Valentines Day or not, but I don't think it would hurt to ask.

Dimension

With Pro and Ultimate you can run an XP virtual drive that should be able to handle what you are talking about.

I think Signburst was offering some deals on Flexi, I don't know if that stopped with the passing of Valentines Day or not, but I don't think it would hurt to ask.

do I have to start xp separately than 7 or will xp programs start and run in 7

MatthewTimothy

well you need 64 bit if you are wanting to run RAM over 4 gbs since it will cap off there. You can run Windows 7 Pro and do XP in a virtual mode.

WildWestDesigns

do I have to start xp separately than 7 or will xp programs start and run in 7

That option of a virtual drive isn't available in Home Premium, so that I couldn't answer. All my embroidery heads and printers all handle Win7 without any issue, so I didn't feel the need to get Pro/Ultimate as running that virtual drive was, in my mind, the only reason to get that version of the OS unless "you" just wanted to have it.

MatthewTimothy

That option of a virtual drive isn't available in Home Premium, so that I couldn't answer. All my embroidery heads and printers all handle Win7 without any issue, so I didn't feel the need to get Pro/Ultimate as running that virtual drive was, in my mind, the only reason to get that version of the OS unless "you" just wanted to have it.

well it does have more security options then home is why i got it.

landdesigns

Call Signburst, They will steer you the right way! My older Roland cutter doesnt have driver available to use on 64 Bit system (windows7), luckly i have 2 computers one with xp and new one has windows 7. Also my older photoshop wont run on new computer, I suggest you do a lot a research on equipment and software compatiability with newer operating system.

Todd

Mainframe

Stop at an Apple store and check out a 27" imac, ask them to load a demo of photoshop on it, take some files with you, they have an in-house business dept to answer any questions you might have.

Might be worth a look.

WildWestDesigns

Stop at an Apple store and check out a 27" imac, ask them to load a demo of photoshop on it, take some files with you, they have an in-house business dept to answer any questions you might have.

Might be worth a look.

This must be at the bigger stores, because they didn't have anything like that in the 2 Apple Stores that are relatively close to me.