• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Need a new computer!!

WildWestDesigns

If you lean towards a gaming system you'll be alright.

Yes and no. The video card is where it can be a toss up. It really depends on the type of rendering you plan on doing. CAD rendering isn't going to need the same type of rendering as games.

Having said that though, I do have a gamers card in my computer.

Grizzly

It’s all about your print!
Signburst is a little Pricey

I think Signburst is good in that they cater to sign industry, and I like they way they setup their computers, components and all, but their prices are about $1000 more when compared side by side to the design machines that I had custom built at a local computer shop. I plan on using my machine for at least 3 years before upgrading. And if something goes wrong, I unplug it take it down to the shop, and they fix it, usually on the spot!

I definatley agree with the others that buying even a high end from Best Buy or Costco isn't as good as getting them custom built. Been there, done that, wouldn't do it again to save the $300!

jfiscus

Rap Master
Ask a few friends/customers who the local computer store with the best reputation is. One of my customers built my new computer, it is VERY fast. My only complaint is with CS4 products sometimes they crash unexpectedly on really large files. The client tells me that I need CS5+ for the programs to work flawlessly.

Get a solid state drive & there are a few other parts which cost s few dollars more than "standard" components, but speed up the machine a lot. I will see if I can get a build spec from him to reply here with...

signswi

Get a Dell business line or Lenovo with an Intel i7, 12GB+ of RAM, and any decent gaming level video card. Windows 7 pro. Case closed.

signswi

i5's are great chips, I recommend them for everything but designers. Adobe does a really good job of taking advantage of the additional threads in Photoshop in particular.

WildWestDesigns

i5's are great chips, I recommend them for everything but designers. Adobe does a really good job of taking advantage of the additional threads in Photoshop in particular.

I've used both the newer i5s and the hyper threaded i7s, not really much difference on my end. Although I will admit, I really hardly ever use photoshop except for photo editing and just basic at that. So in my workflow, maybe there isn't much difference for me.

Of course, I must admit, I went a little crazy on the gaming card though.

WildWestDesigns

GPU makes a massive difference in PS, particularly if you run the 64bit version (as everyone should).

Absolutely, but you would be surprised what the new i5 couple with SSDs and a MB that supports that latest slots can handle in stock form, compared to the old i5s.

I only have the 64 bit Ps installed on my computer, however, my entire workflow in Ps is sizing for upload either on this site or on my FB site and that is it. I do nothing else in Ps. I could actually use Elements for that and not be any worse off. Now if Ai was as good about resource management as Ps then that would be something else entirely. I have the same effect either on my i7 or on my new i5 with Ai based on my usage.

SignBurst PCs

I appreciate all the kind words and recommends. The OP placed an order yesterday and is now a member of the SignBurst family.

There have been several good points made in the posts above. CPU, RAM, and GPU are all important, especially in Photoshop, but they are only a part of the picture. There is so much that goes into designing a really good graphic design computer, starting first with the hardware.

Different commands in Photoshop (and other design and RIP software) utilize different hardware resources and a truly great design computer will have both great hardware and software settings to properly utilize the hardware. If you are lacking in any one component, you may see significant performance losses (bottle-necking). I can say with absolute certainty, if you are just comparing CPU, GPU, and RAM specs, you are not seeing the entire picture.

I get calls daily comparing prices between our computers and other brands. If you truly are comparing actual apples-to-apples, we are very competitively priced. The problem lies in the way the computer industry has under-simplified hardware specs in order to not confuse the customer. That is why I tell a customer who is shopping a Dell computer to look at the Dimension, XPS, Small Business, and Precision lines of computers. You can get a wide array of prices from similarly spec'ed models from within the Dell umbrella. Why is that? It is simple, good hardware costs more $$$.

Is one Intel i7 PC with 12GB of RAM the same as all of the others? No way. There are almost an incalculable number of combinations of hardware in respect to quality, reliability, and performance. Let's take one component as an example, the PSU or power supply. A 700 watt power supply can cost $30 or $300. What is the difference? Even though that is a spec that you will rarely see in an advertisement or product listing, it is a very important piece of the puzzle in both performance and reliability. That being said, almost no one asks about it (but they should).

I often see folks on signs101 comparing their own prices (using top-grade vinyl, printers, ink, lamination, and installation) to the shop down the street selling the "same" thing for half the price. What are the differences? Just because they look the same on paper (or bid), are they selling the same thing? I doubt it.

I am in no way trying to say anything negative about anyone's chosen computer professional or shop. As in every industry, there are good ones and bad ones. If you have a good one (or great one), I can't knock you for trusting them with your business. I value relationships above all else in business. If you have a good relationship with someone, keep it. That is what is important once you get past the almighty $$$.

Our relationships within the graphic design industry and large format printing industry allow us to build our computers and test them in ways that no other computer manufacturer would care to. We design and build computers for you! That is why there has never been a SignBurst customer who wasn't asked what they intend to use the computer for, in detail. We want to get it right for their intended purpose. We often modify configurations in order to suit the needs of the customer.

Our job doesn't end with the sale of a computer. We make every attempt to properly integrate that computer into the customer's network and ensure that the computer is correctly setup in the event that the customer isn't absolutely sure how to make that happen. Some of our customers save hundreds of dollars by calling us instead of paying their local computer guy to setup the computer, software, RIP, printer or all of the above. Have a Flexi question? Call us. If we don't know the answer, we know someone that does. How about setting up a proper wrap design file? We can help. Want to know how to setup an optimal Onyx RIP computer? We can help there too. Besides us, I don't know of another computer manufacturer that does that.

Often the computer is only part of the picture. We can get them discounts on almost all of their industry related software too. We can save you hundreds of $$$ in software. Some of our customers have saved so much in software and upgrades that their computer was basically free. That is always a plus. The real VALUE behind buying one of our computer systems isn't always apparent just by looking at the computer's price tag alone.

We don't just want a customer, we want a base of happy, productive, money-making friends that happen to be running SignBurst computers. I travel to a lot of trade shows and absolutely love meeting everyone (especially signs101'ers that care to stop by and say hi). I really enjoy hearing a customer telling me how happy they are with one of our computers. It makes my day.

I appoligize for the long-winded post. I guess that I am just a talker :smile:.

Last edited:

Dimension

Thanks for all your help, I got in touch with Casey at signburst, and ordered one of his systems, he even beefed up one of his inferno R32s at no charge to help fit my budget.
The R32 was a good choice for me cause I am new to PS and digital print work so I won't be handling a massive amount files, but hope to, and Ill cross that bridge when I get to it.
Again thanks for all your help.

signswi

Absolutely, but you would be surprised what the new i5 couple with SSDs and a MB that supports that latest slots can handle in stock form, compared to the old i5s.

I only have the 64 bit Ps installed on my computer, however, my entire workflow in Ps is sizing for upload either on this site or on my FB site and that is it. I do nothing else in Ps. I could actually use Elements for that and not be any worse off. Now if Ai was as good about resource management as Ps then that would be something else entirely. I have the same effect either on my i7 or on my new i5 with Ai based on my usage.

Tell me about it, AI needs to be 64bit already and have GPU acceleration. It's crazy that it doesn't, the art board and raster limits drive me absolutely crazy.

Dimension

Thanks for all your help. I got in touch with Casey and ordered one of his systems, he even beefed it up a bit for free to meet my budget. I do most of my designing in corel,and just starting to design in Photoshop. When I start doing a lot more Photoshop files Ill upgrade again...cross that bridge when it comes. Again thanks for all your help

soniczed

this is what i have and will never regreat getting a custom falcon mach v
fro www.falcon-nw dot com
it is by far the fastest pc i have used
but since you bought it already what ever you buy add a ssd hard drive for the operating system you will see the the speed at boot and loading apps installed on that hard drive

CSOCSO

I don't hate paint, I just overlay it.
Bought an Alienware which has the same spec as the inferno for the price of the flare.
That's half as much $$$. You deserve to get ripped off if you go for a super expensive pc for no reason.

Mosh

All I have to say is that Ihave been in the sign Biz since 1988, I used to spend thousands on systems...the last 6-7 years I roll out to Wal-Mart and get a new Dell every 6-9 months....SAVE LOAD OF CASH and they work super fast. Prove me wrong....remember I drive a new corvette so I mush be doing somthing right! BTW I paid cash for the Vette...

Mosh

Wait let me guess...you make car payments too....If so you ARE setting yourself up for FAILURE! you do know you pay 500% more by doing payments. People like this make my life so much better.

BTW I am not selling computers like others on this thread so....Just giving LIFE experience. Not using
my Karate and falling into dinner parties.