• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

need a source for boat wraps information

trimitbyrich

HEllo all! I have a customer that wants us to wrap a 38 foot boat. I have some of the basics down on how to prep it but just need a good source for the best way to do the application. We are very skilled in doing vehicle wraps but I just want to educate myself on boats before attemting one. Any help would be most appreciated.

trimitbyrich

right, I got that. So are they generally done in verticle seams then? Also, what product can I use to cover the seams? What is the best vinyl and lam to use? Am I better off not using air egress? Is the artowork just laid out in a rectangle shape or does it have to be set up on a curve towrd the bow? I am in a great market for doing these and I just want to get it right.

Premier Wraps

Give me a call. We've done a ton of boats and just finished wrapping a 38' Scarab last week for Avery. Including the top for a total of 700+sq ft. I'll answer any questions you have. 909-822-4400

dolce05

we only us 3M 180 on boats. you better call premier to get info, this isnt something you get a couple of tip[s and your good to go.

Heres a boat we did two months ago

Attachments

• boat01.jpg
    boat01.jpg
    58.9 KB · Views: 126

trimitbyrich

Like anything else, I feel I need to educate myaelf on it before I attempt one.Wish I could try on a smaller boat to start, but I did not pick the customer, he picked me.

WrapperX

go mess one up. it will answer all your questions. and no, im not being sarcastic.

I love it. :ROFLMAO:

We/I am attempting my first boat wrap this month too. I'm looking forward to it, but I am expecting it to be a doosy of a job considering the unique shapes and movement of the object. Hopefully I won't screw it up entirely!

grafixemporium

I like Chris' advice... that's the best way to learn!

Definitely, absolutely, totally, always use 3M 180c-v3 for boats. It is approved by 3M for marine use. The air egress will help you get the vinyl on with fewer flaws. Those flaws are what would potentially cause vinyl failure. Air egress is fine. Make sure the boat is cleaned well with denatured alcohol and make sure your edges are well primed. I'd recommend clear stripping over the top of all your exposed edges with a 1/2" strip of clear laminate.

Definitely, absolutely, totally, never do a boat in vertical panels. it looks terrible and is a recipe for failure. One boat... 2 pieces of vinyl. Lick it and stick it. Good luck!

Premier Wraps

I've never used anything but air-egress. The whole "water under the wrap" is a load of crap if you do it right. The only time I've used non-air-egress was an installation only job on a bass boat for the FLW. What a nightmare. The 38' Scarab we just did was done on Avery 1005 EZ (not the EZ RS). That's what Avery recommends for boats because of the higher tack level on fiberglass. Avery approached us regarding needing a boat to wrap for an upcoming article on boat wraps. When I was asked if I had anything I said yes we had a 38' Scarab coming up. They donated the vinyl and lam (1060) in exchange for a whole heck of lot of installation photos and tips. Along with their logo on the boat. My customer didn't mind the discount that came with the offer so we did it. Both sides and both top pieces aren't seamed, they're done in massive pieces. We got lucky because the boat was pretty close to stripped (cleats, snaps, etc). All the major pieces are done in one long piece. Yes, it's heavy and you'll need min 2 people, 3 would be better with a boat this big. Boats are like rotini noodles. Not only do they twist under they also curve in toward the front. Take your time lining up what needs to be lined up. Start in the back. And make sure the vinyl doesn't drop down as you move forward. You'll see what I mean when you get going. On the flip side. Don't get crazy with trying to keep it up, because you'll over compensate really quick. Along the bottom make sure you trim up 1/4"-1/2" and Edge Seal the heck out of it. Edge Seal all exposed edges from the rub rail down. I always stop the wrap at the first edge before the boat starts going under and then trim up from there. I've seen wraps (especially on bass boats) go under the boat. I personally wouldn't do it. If you're gunna have any text or logos, etc I recommend doing an overlay like we did on the Scarab. It all comes down to the twist in the boat. And, any where the vinyl might come in contact with the interior be very careful trimming. (think cockpit or open bow). Every bass boat I've done had to be lifted off the trailer with a floor jack as well. So keep that in mind when bidding. Again, my number is 909-822-4400 call me if you have any questions.

Premier Wraps

we only us 3M 180 on boats. you better call premier to get info, this isnt something you get a couple of tip[s and your good to go.

Heres a boat we did two months ago

Perfect example of design on this boat. The front wants to come together at the rub rail as the boat moves inward toward the tip. So don't try and cross the rub rail with graphics up front. This cat here isn't as bad because the front of the boat isn't a tip. So keep that in mind.

Nice wrap BTW.

Premier Wraps

Also, another small tip, if you can. I try to take off the any silicon around the rub rail. Wrap up to it. Then re-silicon over the wrap. Not only does it look cleaner when done, it also protects that edge.