• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

need a source for boat wraps information

ProWraps

careful with the edge sealer... that stuff is BAD news if you plan to remove it from anything except glass, and i dont mean fiber glass.

parkedcar

If you pull a template off the boat and design the wrap from that, everything should fall right into place.

grafixemporium

If you pull a template off the boat and design the wrap from that, everything should fall right into place.

You nailed it!

We stock a roll of 48" Rtape Low Tack transfer tape that we use to make templates of boats. Lay the paper on, use a marker to trace out the sides, any obstacles, body lines, etc then draw a reference measurement on there... pull the paper off and throw it up on a wall and take a picture of it.

dolce05

the tape on the boat to make a template is not a bad idea...we go and measure 3,675 times till we are positive its right and even then its still a head scratcher

parkedcar

Seriously, if you aren't making a template to wrap a boat, you're nuts!

This may only be a small bass boat but you get the idea.
Looks nice and straight....
lee_rogers_gambler.jpg

But this is what you get after pulling a template. Again, this is only an 18' boat.
template.jpg

Everything lined right up with out any need to stretch or overwork the vinyl.

GP

Seriously, if you aren't making a template to wrap a boat, you're nuts!

That is very cool to see -

just curious, what is next, do you scan/photograph the template, vector trace and enlarge to measurements? Or just free hand the artwork in Illustrator, based on measurements?

GP

GB2

Old Member
If you are using the template method, how do you get the text to line up straight when the wrap is completed on the boat? How do you possibly design it into the template that way? One quick thought I'm having is that you could put a laser line on the boat when the template is in place and then mark what would be a straight reference line that you could design all the text to when it is off the boat, since it won't be straight any more. I'd probably just add all the text and logos seperately though after the wrap was on.

parkedcar

Make sure any text follows the top line of the template. If you have to arc it in your design program, do so. It will appear straight when the install is complete.