• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Need advice for a new laser cut machine

fixtureman

There was an ongoing thread on Thunder Lasers that said they were very good. I have a Weike laser and like it I bought it from Automation Technologies in Chicago

Gene@mpls

I believe I read that Thunder turned into Full Spectrum? Also a laser in an enclosed case is a Class 1- a flatbed laser is a Class 3 or 4, the difference, among others, is everyone in the room requires laser eye protection.
I have a Chicom laser arriving on the 30th... and the journey begins.

signmeup

I found that if you bought the laser from the manufacturer in China the laser was about half the price. My 51" x 36" Bodor laser was $3700 plus $1000 to have it shipped here(Canada) by Coles International. A comparable Chinese laser from a US importer was about $9000 at the time. Coles did the part of the Importer for me for a grand. (shipping and customs) Just sayin'.

Adrian

fixtureman

I believe I read that Thunder turned into Full Spectrum? Also a laser in an enclosed case is a Class 1- a flatbed laser is a Class 3 or 4, the difference, among others, is everyone in the room requires laser eye protection.
I have a Chicom laser arriving on the 30th... and the journey begins.

Thunder laser is not full spectrum

Redz Signs Inc.

I don't think this would be possible. Correct me if I'm wrong but I think there's quite a bit more to it than just bolting a laser to a CNC. If you want router plus laser then Eurolaser and Blackman and White offer solutions for this but they're not cheap.

Here is our laser router combo. Using Universal laser and Hsd spindle.

attachment.php

Attachments

• 11390151_10205694008502564_8477966077436195150_n.jpg
    11390151_10205694008502564_8477966077436195150_n.jpg
    45 KB · Views: 367

PrintItBig

To be honest I do have concerns about purchasing a Chinese laser for commercial use not least regarding safety and legality.

We're in the UK so I imagine any machine would have to conform with EU regulations? Do these Chinese lasers conform?

What happens about extracting the fumes with an open flat bed?

Is it going to set on fire?

Am i actually going to be able to get it working correctly when it arrives?

Who fixes it when it breaks?

Is eye protection needed?

Am I going to be able to get insurance to cover it?

It seems that if I imported one of these myself I'd be on my own with a lot if this?

I'm looking for an 8ft x 4ft machine for cutting acrylic.

Chinese machine if I imported myself looks to be about £6k.

Same machine from a UK importer = £15k.

Similar machine from a UK or other European manufacturer = a lot lot more

At those prices I'm very tempted to try and import one myself but just worried it will turn into a complete nightmare. If it ends up burning the factory down or blinding someone that saving ends up not looking too good after all.

toomeycustoms

I found that if you bought the laser from the manufacturer in China the laser was about half the price. My 51" x 36" Bodor laser was $3700 plus $1000 to have it shipped here(Canada) by Coles International. A comparable Chinese laser from a US importer was about $9000 at the time. Coles did the part of the Importer for me for a grand. (shipping and customs) Just sayin'.

Adrian

How difficult was the Bodor to get setup and cutting? Are the instructions in english and does it come with any software? Have you needed any kind of service or replacement parts?

We have an Epilog Fusion M2 120 watt and just purchased a Trotec Speedy 360 80 watt and the machines are great. Now looking into a metal cutting laser, but the Kerns are $100k+ and these Bodors look interesting.

signmeup

How difficult was the Bodor to get setup and cutting? Are the instructions in english and does it come with any software? Have you needed any kind of service or replacement parts?

We have an Epilog Fusion M2 120 watt and just purchased a Trotec Speedy 360 80 watt and the machines are great. Now looking into a metal cutting laser, but the Kerns are $100k+ and these Bodors look interesting.

It was easy. The instructions are in English and were just ok. I had to ask a few questions of my sales rep via Skype. She really new her stuff. I had my machine built with Ruida controllers and so I got Ruida software. I got the tech in China to setup the CorelDraw plug-in via TeamViewer. I run the laser via this Corel draw plug-in. It's a pretty simple machine to run.

Parts are pretty generic from what I can see.

I found the customer service to be great. I even got a Christmas card from Bodor this year.

Adrian

signmeup

In answer to post #33:

These are all questions you can answer yourself by asking questions of the correct authorities in your area. Most of the Chinese factories I researched will send a technition to your place to repair a machine. I can't imagine what this would cost. My machine had to pass through customs and meet all Canadian regulations before I could take delivery.

My machine is modular so any electrical problems would be corrected by replacing modules. Most of the machine is made of generic parts that are available from multiple sources... linear bearings, belts etc. Lasers are pretty simple machines. They go left and right and forward and back in a single plane. Not rocket science. People build them from scratch at home from parts bought on ebay.

Adrian

limacchina

No, you can not just fit a laser head to a router machine. Mechanical parts of the two types of machines are completely different.

I am also considering a CNC/Router/Laser/ect..
Would it be possible to get a Router set up and swap out the spindle for a laser on a case by case basis?
Has this been done and where would I get a laser that will attach to a CNC head-unit.
I would like the versatility of both worlds but am wary of dishing out $(insert ridiculous sum here).00
Any guidance from the Masters of Signs101?

fixtureman

Printitbig you may want to contact Dave Sheldrake on sawmill creek forum as he Runs several lasers in the UK most are Chinese
[h=1][/h]

Brink

No, you can not just fit a laser head to a router machine. Mechanical parts of the two types of machines are completely different.

You can do it. You may go though a lot of material and/or set your shop on fire trying to work out the power requirements/head travel speeds per material type/thickness. I have some experience with home brew lasers. They are very dangerous if mismanaged.

limacchina

Still not recommended. Each one is not good for neither.

You can do it. You may go though a lot of material and/or set your shop on fire trying to work out the power requirements/head travel speeds per material type/thickness. I have some experience with home brew lasers. They are very dangerous if mismanaged.

gnemmas

In answer to post #33:

Most of the Chinese factories I researched will send a technition to your place to repair a machine. I can't imagine what this would cost.

Adrian

We have a Trotec Speedy 400. Tech support is not satisfactory. Even under warranty, we have to pay technician travel time to come. Was told that is the industry standard practice. They did us a "favor" by splitting 4 ways of the travel expenses, $240 as they have 4 machines to service.

That is about $1,000 travel expense, the Chinese probably can do that with similar cost.

fixtureman

With an RF laser there is no need for mirrors as it take the place of a second z head