• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Need advice for a new laser cut machine

Brink

An RF laser is still a conventional laser. Instead of a lasing media that is excited with light, it's excited with radio frequency waves. (Light frequency waves and radio frequency waves are the same thing and differing frequencies. Both are electromagnetic radiation)

Output is the same. It's still a highly concentrated beam of light. Still requires mirrors and focusing lenses.

toodark

I bought a Bodor direct from the manufacturer in China. Swiss design, Chinese made. Works great. It's huge though. About 6 feet x 7 feet and 4 feet high. Weighs 1/2 a ton... literally. 100 watt. About 5 grand delivered to my doorstep.

You will want one with less power for engraving. The higher powered tubes don't throttle down as well as a lower powered tube. Cutting area is 51" x 36" but it has a pass through feature so you can slide 4 x 8 sheets through it.

Very helpful company. Just tell them what you want to do and they will spec out a custom machine for you. Here is my machine and the people who built it for me. Customer service has been wonderful. I dealt with "Michelle"

Adrian

What model is that?

signmeup

It was custom made for me. You just contact them and tell them what you want to do and they spec out a machine for you.

Adrian

jayhawksigns

How long have you had your Bodor?

Looking at getting a laser unit here and looking at all of our options. Like the price of the Bodor but reliability and support are a question.

limacchina

Did you attach the laser head yourself or CNT motion build this combo machine for you? What controller does this machine use?

Here is our laser router combo. Using Universal laser and Hsd spindle.

attachment.php

gieseguy

Also looking at buying a laser

Interesting thread and appreciate others experience. We are just looking into buying a laser and want to cut 24 gauge stainless steel. Anyone have experience with the fiber lasers? They seem to have some very good attributes. There are basically 2 kinds from what I understand. A pulse modulated one that is really good for engraving and marking and can cut some, and the cw (continuous wave) which is basically good for cutting. wondering if anyone has any experience with these?

bjt140

Interesting thread and appreciate others experience. We are just looking into buying a laser and want to cut 24 gauge stainless steel. Anyone have experience with the fiber lasers? They seem to have some very good attributes. There are basically 2 kinds from what I understand. A pulse modulated one that is really good for engraving and marking and can cut some, and the cw (continuous wave) which is basically good for cutting. wondering if anyone has any experience with these?

I would suggest looking at a Kern laser, it'll easily cut 24ga and since its co2 you'll be able to engrave with it too. If you'd like, pm me and I'll give you my contact at kern.

V-ENGRAVE

I would suggest looking at a Kern laser, it'll easily cut 24ga and since its co2 you'll be able to engrave with it too. If you'd like, pm me and I'll give you my contact at kern.

Kern Laser i a quality product but it comes with high price tag.
There are Chinese fiber lasers for a 1/4" price of Kern and if one needs to engrave and cut there are machines like Trotec, ULS, Epilog that you can add to fiber laser and still be below 100K price tag.
With two machines you increase your ability and productivity.

gieseguy

kern

yeah I live only an hour from Kern and have bought a cnc machine from them back in the early 90's. I've talked with them but they led me to believe I need a machine that costs 150 grand. good quality but very expensive and have heard great things about the fiber lasers ability with speed and accuracy that seem a lot better than the co2 lasers plus they are solid state so don't need to be replacing tubes etc... but am just learning. but the price difference man o man can't ignore. I sent an email to that bodor company that Adrian mentioned am waiting for a reply.

Ditchmiester

With the Fiber Lasers I have also been told that the different brand of Lasers can cut reflective material such as Aluminum or Brass better than others. Do you ever have the need to cut anything other than 24 gauge SS? With that thickness you could get by with a small 300-500 watt fiber laser and it would cut it really well and pretty fast too. We are currently looking at both the Bodor and the Gweike fiber lasers. I have received a contact from Gweike who has ordered one of their 4x8 500 Watt Fiber lasers but I'm waiting for his machine to be delivered until I contact him to find out how it turned out.

gieseguy

fiber laser

we do have need to cut mild steel but only probably 14 gauge or so, aluminum 060 would be nice. we want to cut some wood not to thick. we probably could get by with a 300 watt. I haven't heard of Gweike will have to check them out. Its finding a fiber that cuts and engraves that would be the perfect thing for us.

signmeup

I still like my 100 watt Bodor CO2. I only cut balsa, ply and acrylic with it. They say it engraves but I haven't used that feature. They were great to deal with back when I bought the thing 2 years ago.

The company I hired to get the laser here was Coles International. They were great too. I'm told it's best not to let the Chinese handle the shipping... no idea why.

A 150k for one Kern laser would be the same cost as 30 Bodor laser machines. I suspect 30 Bodor lasers would be faster than one Kern... lol. Bodor also build metal cutting fiber lasers, YAG lasers, galvo lasers... etc.

Adrian

gieseguy

Adrian,

Have been communicating with Bodor on their lasers a little challenging with the time difference :banghead: wondering if you know how thick of wood your laser cuts. we are considering getting a small co2 laser to engrave and cut wood and a 500 watt fiber to cut stainless.