• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Need advice on my shop's van wrap....

all2gether

Hey folks, need some help on my design.
I want sell vehicle wraps but still need to mention signs, banners...I want tell them it is a regular sign shop but with creative dept in house. tell me what you guys think about it. Thanks

ALL2GETHER_VAN_april2014_EMAIL.jpg

Biker Scout

Too busy... too many words. And who cares about Avery and 3M? The public won't give that any additional credence whether to use you or some other shop. And the stuff on a slant is sooo overused and not a great design element. Plus there was some slant stuff mixed right next to some straight stuff. Incongruous, to say the least. Keep in mind the 3 second rule. Can you capture your target audience in 3 seconds or less? Or are the having to hunt and read all over the place and look at a laundry list of items and bullet points? Boring. If they are interested, they can learn more about your capabilities online on if they stop the driver he can hand them a brochure. I've even seen card holders attached to the side of vehicles before.

The best way to say you are awesome at design... is to just showcase something that is awesomely designed. (Hint: Even if that means outsourcing the branding and design portion of your business' "Look and Feel" to an impartial objective 3rd party) Branding for yourself is really hard, and can be frustrating... even if you are normally good at it for your clients.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Yowsa........... my head hurts and my eyes are on break for two hours.

Mission Overload. You need to re-think this one.

Besides what Biker said, which is all true, you look to be desperate. You are throwing wa-a-ay too much on there. Ease up cowboy and think about your color combination, also. While it's a good combination, it's not good for getting a message out there in a jiffy. If you had some curtains or a chair with those colors, it would be quite soothing, which is why is doesn't compute for a message board/wrap.

OldPaint

iam being CONSTRUCTIVE HERE.........so dont get your undies in bundle...YOU AXED FOR IT))))
THIS IS A PERFECT EXAMPLE...... of why people who dont have an art background shouldnt be turned loose with some program that can do anything without any aesthetic properties.
#1............try doing your initial design in BLACK AND WHITE!!!
#2. ..........for what you have on lettering, could better be done in CUT VINLY.......
#3. ..........only thing your showing as a "wrap" is that you take a white van and change the color to green and blue and then put bad looking text over that!!!!
#4. ........GO BACK TO #1 then see how your lettering design looks.....
#5...........THEN add some kinda background that shows what you printer can do....within "artistic boundaries.
#6........... thowin crap at something....because YOU CAN........ dont make you look artistic.

rjssigns

What I was taught and adhere to:
Logo
What can you do for me/hook
Contact info(be it phone or internet)

People nowadays have the attention span of a gnat. If they can't find the information pertinent to them instantly they're gone.

I can't remember the exact times, but it's a wonder people look at anything anymore...

CES020

Granted, I'm not a designer, but I did attend a Dan Antonelli Design Class ;)

Here's what I'd ask myself- if someone saw that driving down the road, would they know or remember the name when they got back to work or home? From the currently layout, your name is so small, but your services are so large, my guess is they wouldn't know who to call. They might remember "that van that had SIGNS" in big letters on the side, they might remember the colors, but I think you have it backwards. Make your company name huge, make the other information less of the focal point (if even put on there at all).

Just my uneducated opinion.

OldPaint

print this on a big sheet and hang it somewhere you can see it EVERYDAY.
WHAT A SIGN CONSISTS OFF:
WHO(are you)
WHAT(you do, in as the least amount of words)
HOW .......those that need WHAT you do...........CAN GET A HOLD OF YOU)))))
all the rest is garbage....

shoresigns

Your "designer" needs some training. Send them to a night class or something, get them some professional development, or hire someone who is already trained. Especially if you want to push the fact that you have an in-house "creative dept".

Learning how to use Illustrator does not make a designer, any more than creating a Facebook page makes a web developer or throwing a wrench at a car makes a mechanic. Learning graphic design is fun and your business will be better for it.

DesireeM

Simplify.

One form of contact info will suffice (I'd say keep the website and get rid of the phone number - people don't remember them and they can get the # from your website so it's redundant)

Most customers don't know or care what brands you use (at least not to the point of contacting you BECAUSE of it). Again - they can get that info on your website or from you later. (It's like discussing politics or religion on a first date....slow your roll)

Your text hierarchy reads "Vehicle design wraps signs banners and more" It's a little awkward. Your logo should be the focus first. Then the services. "vehicle" and "wraps" should look like they go together. Use size to convey importance. If you want Vehicle wraps to read as most important then make it the biggest (but not bigger than your logo)

On the back you should keep all your services together so people can finish the thought.

Warlick Designs

Simplify.

One form of contact info will suffice (I'd say keep the website and get rid of the phone number - people don't remember them and they can get the # from your website so it's redundant)

Most customers don't know or care what brands you use (at least not to the point of contacting you BECAUSE of it). Again - they can get that info on your website or from you later. (It's like discussing politics or religion on a first date....slow your roll)

Your text hierarchy reads "Vehicle design wraps signs banners and more" It's a little awkward. Your logo should be the focus first. Then the services. "vehicle" and "wraps" should look like they go together. Use size to convey importance. If you want Vehicle wraps to read as most important then make it the biggest (but not bigger than your logo)

On the back you should keep all your services together so people can finish the thought.

Are you serious?????

what a great idea! take you phone number off a form of GREAT advertisement..:thumb: so smart! this has got to be somehow your competition...?

hey at least you wont have to worry about people calling you while trying to work..

Jillbeans

Actually, her advice was really good.
People can remember a website name (a simple one) far better than a phone number.
As for your layout, it is just plain awful.
Too much information in an ugly font, busier than a cat trying to cover crap on a marble floor. People may remember you as doing ugly, cluttered signs, or you may get a lot of calls for corosigns...but nothing high end.

Joe Diaz

I explain to customers that in almost all advertisements you assume that you want your elements, the logo, contact information, imagery, services, etc... to all work "2Gether":wink:. However, in reality they are all competing for people's attention. Every element you add weakens the strength of every other element. One or two things to display is easier for the audience to absorb than 15 different things.

It's difficult for folks to not look at something like vehicle wrap as they would a business card. They assume that all of the elements they have on a business card are extremely important. But they are two entirely different forms of advertisements that play different roles. On something like a vehicle, and this is mostly true for all outdoor adverting, you only have a few seconds to say what you need to say. So it's our job as designers and sign makers to help our clients figure out what is the most important message to present. Then you really should focus on that one message, everything else should support that one message.

A hook is important but that hook should really be a part of the logo or brand. A well designed logo should draw a person in and explain to viewers what type of business it is. If it doesn't, you are then needing to create an extra element to compete with that brand, just to explain what the brand is. There isn't enough time to do that on an outdoor advertisement.

So how many elements are on your design? Is it possible to remove elements that may be important but not as important as the main message? I think the most successful wrap designs serve one main purpose: to promote brand recognition.

And they are right about phone numbers. A phone number may be important, but is it as necessary as promoting a brand? It's a well known fact that people cannot remember a series of 7 -10 numbers for more than a moment. So in most cases that phone number is simply taking up space and distracting people from remembering the name. If they cannot remember the name, and I bet you money they cannot remember a phone number, how are they going to find you when they do need to hire you, because it is extremely rare that someone sees an add with a phone number for something like a service and decides that they need to hire that company right then and there. So how can you expect that they will remember a number, or even write it down and keep it for more than a day. It's much more common that they remember a name of a business, and when they do need to hire that business, they will look it up online, in the phone book, etc...

I think a better strategy for displaying contact information on an outdoor advertisement, is to own a domain that is the exact same thing as the company name. Then when they are remembering your contact information, your web address, the are also remembering your companies name at the same time. Really it's only one thing for them to remember.

Also if you or a client absolutely insists that multiple elements need to be on a design. Use size, space and contrast accordingly to play favorites. In your case I would promote the name of the business more than the list of services you offer. That may require that you fuss with your logo or brand a bit so that it somehow explains who you are. But that way you won't have to make your laundry list of services the focus. What's the point of knowing all the services you offer if they miss your logo and name. You know what I mean?

DesireeM

Are you serious?????

what a great idea! take you phone number off a form of GREAT advertisement..:thumb: so smart! this has got to be somehow your competition...?

hey at least you wont have to worry about people calling you while trying to work..

What you don't know could fill a book couldn't it?

fyi...your ignorance is showing. I don't have to defend my advice. Least of all to someone of lesser skill and knowledge. I should point out as well that I'm not the OP so why not address that persons question instead of attacking my sound advice?

OP if you're keeping track....Warlick wants you to keep the phone number...

Warlick Designs

Im not at all saying I know it all because... I don't. However, removing your phone number (the first thing people look for when they see something the perks their interest) is not a great idea.

I do agree that to much info is a bad idea... I just don't agree that a phone # shouldn't be on advertising :wink:

Warlick Designs

I explain to customers that in almost all advertisements you assume that you want your elements, the logo, contact information, imagery, services, etc... to all work "2Gether":wink:. However, in reality they are all competing for people's attention. Every element you add weakens the strength of every other element. One or two things to display is easier for the audience to absorb than 15 different things.

It's difficult for folks to not look at something like vehicle wrap as they would a business card. They assume that all of the elements they have on a business card are extremely important. But they are two entirely different forms of advertisements that play different roles. On something like a vehicle, and this is mostly true for all outdoor adverting, you only have a few seconds to say what you need to say. So it's our job as designers and sign makers to help our clients figure out what is the most important message to present. Then you really should focus on that one message, everything else should support that one message.

A hook is important but that hook should really be a part of the logo or brand. A well designed logo should draw a person in and explain to viewers what type of business it is. If it doesn't, you are then needing to create an extra element to compete with that brand, just to explain what the brand is. There isn't enough time to do that on an outdoor advertisement.

So how many elements are on your design? Is it possible to remove elements that may be important but not as important as the main message? I think the most successful wrap designs serve one main purpose: to promote brand recognition.

And they are right about phone numbers. A phone number may be important, but is it as necessary as promoting a brand? It's a well known fact that people cannot remember a series of 7 -10 numbers for more than a moment. So in most cases that phone number is simply taking up space and distracting people from remembering the name. If they cannot remember the name, and I bet you money they cannot remember a phone number, how are they going to find you when they do need to hire you, because it is extremely rare that someone sees an add with a phone number for something like a service and decides that they need to hire that company right then and there. So how can you expect that they will remember a number, or even write it down and keep it for more than a day. It's much more common that they remember a name of a business, and when they do need to hire that business, they will look it up online, in the phone book, etc...

I think a better strategy for displaying contact information on an outdoor advertisement, is to own a domain that is the exact same thing as the company name. Then when they are remembering your contact information, your web address, the are also remembering your companies name at the same time. Really it's only one thing for them to remember.

Also if you or a client absolutely insists that multiple elements need to be on a design. Use size, space and contrast accordingly to play favorites. In your case I would promote the name of the business more than the list of services you offer. That may require that you fuss with your logo or brand a bit so that it somehow explains who you are. But that way you won't have to make your laundry list of services the focus. What's the point of knowing all the services you offer if they miss your logo and name. You know what I mean?

(p1) agree
(p2) somewhat disagree... vehicles are sometimes at a job site, red light, parking lot etc.
(p3) wraps and business card.. way different but for someone offering services certain contact info is very important.
(p4) I would agree but based on the specific service things may be different.
(p5) I agree on some points made.. but a large portion of anyones business is word of mouth (when a potential customer sees a certain service you do not know what they have in mind to immediately do) if a phone number isn't there and thats what they look for.. well who doesn't look so bright then? It doesn't have to be huge but its important to have when offering services.
(p6) agree!
(p7) true.. they may realize (hey I need a banner made!) so you helped them realize that lol but if they don't remember your name/logo someone else will be taking credit for your hard driving work.

all2gether

Here is the new design...

Hello folks, i hope you guys like it at this time! Let me know if that look professional. Thanks

Attachments

• ALL2GETHER_VAN_JUNE2014-email_03.jpg
    ALL2GETHER_VAN_JUNE2014-email_03.jpg
    31.3 KB · Views: 135