• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Need an opinions on this printer

AKwrapguy

I have read there are issues with repeatability on colours with the latex units. So it you need to print something the exact same colour from time to time or match up large panels there may be issues.

This was a problem with older machines. From what I understand the Magenta head would basically get a heat build up causing the flow rate to change. This issue has been fixed. I'm currently using HP570 and am able to match colors printed fine.

Interesting how friends I have who own HP latexs are $1,500 a head and pay $250 per ink

What year make and model? I using HP570 and just replaced a few ink heads and inks. Heads were $130 a piece and the ink was $300 for 3 liters.

ams

This was a problem with older machines. From what I understand the Magenta head would basically get a heat build up causing the flow rate to change. This issue has been fixed. I'm currently using HP570 and am able to match colors printed fine.

What year make and model? I using HP570 and just replaced a few ink heads and inks. Heads were $130 a piece and the ink was $300 for 3 liters.

I know one is a flatbed, another is a roll to roll, huge one probably 360?

EDIT: I should mention that two local shops hate their HP's and wish they had gotten something else, so that is where I get my information from.

AKwrapguy

I know one is a flatbed, another is a roll to roll, huge one probably 360?

EDIT: I should mention that two local shops hate their HP's and wish they had gotten something else, so that is where I get my information from.

Well not sure about the flatbed, but the 360 the heads are the same as mine.

EDIT: While I'm not a 'local' shop. I have two HP 570's and they are awesome. They are fast and intuitive. While there is no 'perfect' printer in my experience after personally dealing with Solvent, Eco-Solvent, Aqueous, and Latex printers from a range of manufactures such Mimaki, Roland and HP the HP latex is a great addition to our shop and effortlessly increases our efficiency and turnaround time allowing us to maximize our profits

Last edited:

AKwrapguy

Getting ready to buy a new printer. Looking at the HP l315 54" latex. Anyone had any experience with this machine? Yay or nay

I don't have the 315, but I do have the 570 which is a little bigger with a few more bells and whistles. I love mine. There are pros and cons to every printer but so far the pros far outweigh the cons on the latex printers. If you looking for specific questions please feel free to reach out. If it's in your budget I would look at the 360 series. The extras such as the embedded spectrophotometer is nice to dial in your printer and it has double sided capabilities if that's something that your looking at doing down the road.

myront

CorelDRAW is best
I don't have the 315, but I do have the 570 which is a little bigger with a few more bells and whistles. I love mine. There are pros and cons to every printer but so far the pros far outweigh the cons on the latex printers. If you looking for specific questions please feel free to reach out. If it's in your budget I would look at the 360 series. The extras such as the embedded spectrophotometer is nice to dial in your printer and it has double sided capabilities if that's something that your looking at doing down the road.

Not to single you out but why hasn't anyone else mentioned the cumbersome loading/unloading procedure I mentioned earlier. Have you no experience with other brands. The older HP models a real pia to switch media. This alone would have been a deal breaker had I had a say in the purchase. Substrates jam all the time too. It is "the elephant in the room" no one cares to talk about.

First option: consider the newest HP model
2. want to go the inexpensive/used route I'd look into other brands

particleman

Not to single you out but why hasn't anyone else mentioned the cumbersome loading/unloading procedure I mentioned earlier. Have you no experience with other brands. The older HP models a real pia to switch media. This alone would have been a deal breaker had I had a say in the purchase. Substrates jam all the time too. It is "the elephant in the room" no one cares to talk about.

The 560/570 series has a totally different system, no spindle needed. It is as easy to load unload as any other solvent machine in my opinion, maybe easier since it is all front loaded. In the HP latex series you are getting the same basic technology and ink but as you move up in models you get more features. The 315 (the one zsigns asked about) doesn't even have a take up so I would venture to say he isn't as concerned about this particular feature.

ams

Since what I said was off of hearing it from others and not proven, I deleted my post.

ddarlak

Go Bills!

You are the only one who ever complains about loading a machine. I have the 315, it loads easy and as far as substrate jams, they are a fact of life and 75% of the time the are operator fault.

AKwrapguy

So I used an older HP Latex at one of my other shops and yes, it was a pain int he ass. The spindle front loading was a bitch and one reason we had kinda looked over HP when we were looking at new printers. However HP has updated their material loading and is just at easy as anything else I've used. Granted the front loading on some material (7725 for example) needs a little more attention than others but I can load/unload my printer 10 times a day and maybe get one loading issue per month.

So it's not that anyone doesn't want to talk about it, it's just that it's not really an issue anymore with the new design changes. However if your only experience is with a 5+ year old printer than yes I would agree with you that from experience front loading with the spindle sucks.

AGCharlotte

I have a 310 (which is nearly the same as the 315) that I do the majority of my poster, decal & banner work on. I can't say it's without problems but I expect them from everything and while loading can be a little bit cumbersome with heavier materials, it's really not that much of a PITA. It loaded the same way my previous Canon did. I have had minor color issues from one print to another previously, but it was from not calibrating when changing heads out. It can jam on occasion, but nothing to concerning there. I do have the take-up reel with my machine, which I'd recommend.

bigben

I'm still running on the L260 and love it. I would take another HP only if they would have the white ink option. But just because of that, I will go with mimaki (UV).

AKwrapguy

I'm still running on the L260 and love it. I would take another HP only if they would have the white ink option. But just because of that, I will go with mimaki (UV).

HP has just released a white ink with their new R series. Might be a little bit but I wouldn't be surprised to see it pop up in the next gen or two on the roll to roll printers.

ddarlak

Go Bills!
make sure you break apart the expenses for your taxes, subtract the cost of the 7 heads ($840) and the 7 inks carts ($945) and list them as supplies.

That leaves $9210 for the 179 deduction.

Saves you around $400 in taxes

AF

Still running the 260. Media loading is simple, honestly it takes loading the machine a half a dozen times to figure it out. The machine requires tension in the media or quality suffers so loading loose sheets is a no-no.

Basic consumables are not expensive, but heating elements can fail and are big bucks.

jagsouthern

I have one and love it. Easy general maintenance. Techs are all different but most are good. Fast. Easy to buy third party inks that do work. Got others as well with eco-solvent and uv-led but the workhorse is latex! Been at this 30 years and have had’em all at one time. HP is a very good value for the money