Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Need Flexi Design Help

Discussion in 'Flexi' started by captainron19, Apr 3, 2006.

1. captainron19

captainron19 Member

May 11, 2005
    captainron19
    OK Here is my dilemma.

Using Flexi Sign Pro 7

I have a fire truck design to duplicate from an existing truck. I need the words 8287 with the word UTILITY going across (See photos below of what I ave done so far and what I need to accomplish).

I have the numbers in place already by creating an outline around each, then block shadow - after that I welded the two effects. Now I need to accomplish the word "UTILITY" across the numbers just like it is in the below graphic with the word "ENGINE" The word "UTILITY" will be done in Gold Reflective with an even black outline around it.

Any tips on my next step and am I on the right track so far?

This is my most complicated cut so far as in the past it has only been simple designs with outlining so any help would be greatly appreciated.

Attached Files:

Tags:
  2. resqfiremedic

resqfiremedic Member

Jun 23, 2003
    Looks good to me. Now just take Utility, outline it, rotate it to the angle you need, seperate outline, change cutout options to keep cutout. Now just select your white numbers and black outline of word, then apply cutout, weld letter outline to number outline and you have it!! You may have to push outline to the back after you weld, cant remember if it brings it forward.

3. Git-R-Done

Git-R-Done Member

Mar 31, 2005
    I think you need to look at the kerning between the first 8 and the 2. just my .02

4. Techman

Techman Major Contributor

Jun 24, 2003
    michigan
    use photo cut to cut the lines..

5. resqfiremedic

resqfiremedic Member

Jun 23, 2003
    I believe those cut lines are there because its applied to roll up doors on fire fighting type apparatus.

6. TresL

TresL Very Active Member

Oct 24, 2005
    Something along these lines, but with the correct font?

Attached Files:

7. captainron19

captainron19 Member

May 11, 2005
    captainron19
    Yup - I think I got it now - just had trouble with the word UTILITY I didnt realize I had to weld that to the first shadow and perform a cut out with the white letters but it looks like I have it now

Attached Files:

8. iSign

iSign Major Contributor

Nov 29, 2003
    Kahului, Maui
    closer, but resqfiremedic steered you wrong on just one step... DON'T rotate "UTILITY" ... you need to distort it with a tool like the one Illustrator calls the shear tool. See how in "ENGINE"... the vertical strokes are still vertical? I can't say the original design is anything great, but if they want it matched... you might as well match it right.

9. captainron19

captainron19 Member

May 11, 2005
    captainron19
    Thank Doug - I never noticed the Word "ENGINE" still had that attribute - I was able to Shear it in Flexi to get the result below.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 3, 2006
  10. iSign

iSign Major Contributor

Nov 29, 2003
    Kahului, Maui
    hey Ron...

...the edit button is down in the corner next to the quote button (for a limited time only)

oh, your welcome by the way... nice job!

Last edited: Apr 3, 2006
  11. captainron19

captainron19 Member

May 11, 2005
    captainron19
    OK all fixed DOUG - your turn to make it right now

Too Funny!

12. iSign

iSign Major Contributor

Nov 29, 2003
    Kahului, Maui
    ...:thumb:

13. resqfiremedic

resqfiremedic Member

Jun 23, 2003
    didnt you still have to rotate it?? I did miss the shear on the text... take 10 points from me!! :Oops:

14. kevco

kevco Guest

The sheer function in flexi is actually under the rotate function and not the distort functions. At least on 6.5 pro:thumb: