• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

need help attaching jewelite to weird shaped sign!

lisa marie

i have a very odd shaped sign and this is the first time i have worked with jewelite. i am ready to scream! i can't figure out how to attach it, the adhesive they sent me seems more like a primer than a glue... can anyone help me? and so you don't think i'm goofy, i did not create this sign, i am replacing a broken face .
GetFileAttachment

GaSouthpaw

Profane and profane accessories.
Put the face graphics side down on a wooden table (put cardboard or paper under it).
Fit the Jewelite to the face, and put a nail into the table every 4-8 inches as needed to keep the Jewelite in place.
Once you have everything in place, run the adhesive.
Allow to dry, remove nails, and your Jewelite should be in place.

I recommend you try it on a scrap piece of acrylic first so you can get an idea of how it works.

Billct2

Yep, what lefty said. You can use as many nails as you want, we always used finish nails. The glue was applied with a needle nose bottle, just enough, don't want to mar the face.

lisa marie

Thank you! Ok one more question, my distributor sent me the “glue” , not near it yet , but it has no sticky feel to it, feels more like a primer, has a #3 on the can, from 3m I believe... what do you all recommend to adhere it with? And I appreciate any help I can get!! :)

Kottwitz-Graphics

It's not really a glue, per se... it is thin, but what it will do is melt the acrylic and the trim, and they will bond. More like welding....

Mans59

Do not get the "Glue" on the face. As stated above, the Weld-On #3 causes a chemical reaction and will discolor the acrylic and there is nothing you can do about it.

Also, an 3 sided/triangle file helps to file down the lip of the trim cap to make the corners.

kgirl

They should have sent you #4 not #3......follow through with #16....lastly, better to use Plasco Trim Cap instead of Jewelite...:p

signbrad

It's not really a glue, per se... it is thin, but what it will do is melt the acrylic and the trim, and they will bond. More like welding....

Good description. The plastic surfaces are welded together. The chemical is not glue but a solvent—the solvent that is used in the manufacture of acrylic, I believe. The difference between No.3 and No.4 is speed. No.3 is faster. No.4 is considered "moderately" fast.
I also agree with kgirl that after cementing the trim cap with fast solvent, it should then be followed up with a bead of Weld-On No.16, which is much thicker and stronger. The thin stuff keeps the letter held together while the heavier viscosity No.16 cures.

The thin versions are easily applied with syringes carried by sign suppliers for this purpose. I think I use a 29 gauge needle. For No.16 I use a polyurethane "kechup" bottle sold by autobody supply shops. But pour the Weld-On back into the jug or can when you're finished or the solvent may melt your bottle.

Weld-On is made by IPS Corporation.

Brad in Kansas City

Videos showing different methods of trim capping:

The nail method.

Using tape.

Magnets.