• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Need Help Converting CS5 File

Locals Find!

Can anyone help me convert an Adobe CS5 file where I can open it using adobe CS2? The designer is in South America and we have a serious language barrier or I would have asked her.

I have tried opening it already and I lose half the artwork on opening.

Any help would be greatly appreciated as, upgrading to CS5 for this one job just isn't in the budget.

signswi

You should be upgrading to CS5 for reasons other than just this one job. CS4 was a major major leap forward and CS5 built on it really nicely. Especially Illustrator, CS4+ is light years ahead of CS2.

Locals Find!

I looked into it. However, for what I do I just haven't seen the value of the upgrade yet. I will be forced to eventually, I understand. I don't usually need fancy tools to make coro signs and basic business cards. This is the first time in a while I haven't been able to handle a file.

petepaz

we used to wait to upgrade for 2-3 or more years because there just wasn't enough improvement in the program to justify the investment and now the past 2 years we ha ve to upgrade every year just to keep up with the customers files. used to be you go go a couple of upgrades before you couldn't open the new files but now it's a pain in the a$$

i think we went illustr. 3 or 4 to 6 then 8 then cs and then since cs 3 we have to do it every year
(little trick, find someone with a student id and you can get the educational version 1/3rd the price....SSHHH)

signswi

(little trick, find someone with a student id and you can get the educational version 1/3rd the price....SSHHH)

Little trick, that EULA/TOS violation has stiff penalties.

Print shops need to stay up to date because designers stay up to date. Designers stay up to date because design is part fashion and fashion is about being at or before the style curve.

royster13

Just take a night and/or online course and you will be okay when you buy it....And as far as I know there is nothing to prevent you from using it for commercial purposes later....

Locals Find!

I am not buying any software I am going to use for my business with a student ID. My software is 100% legit.

I have put this business enough at risk in the past using others copyrighted artwork. (Ignorance on my part didn't excuse the behavior)

For those of you who choose to go this route I wouldn't be posting all over the internet about doing it. You might as well make a sign and put it out front of your shops shouting out "We do things the wrong way & illegally"

Software is part of doing business. I will upgrade when I need to however, I am not jumping on every bandwagon that comes along for the 2 or 3 files a year I get from designers. Its not enough work to justify the expense.

If I get enough files coming in to justify it I will do so then. This community of S101 has some great members who helped me out and were kind enough to convert the files for me at no cost.

signswi

The upgrades to Illustrator alone are worth it. CS4 is like a whole new product and CS5 added a ton of things valuable to a sign guy (variable width strokes, vastly improved 3D perspective drawing engine, etc.).

Good to hear your stance on software, though what royster says is correct...if you legitimately can buy student software because you're a student the license allows for you to continue using it in perpetuity for any purpose including commercial. You can't however keep buying student editions once you're not a student, that's where the stiff penalties come in. Same goes for finding a student to buy it for you--the licenses are seat licenses attached to the purchaser and aren't transferable.

WildWestDesigns

The upgrades to Illustrator alone are worth it. CS4 is like a whole new product and CS5 added a ton of things valuable to a sign guy (variable width strokes, vastly improved 3D perspective drawing engine, etc.).

Good to hear your stance on software, though what royster says is correct...if you legitimately can buy student software because you're a student the license allows for you to continue using it in perpetuity for any purpose including commercial. You can't however keep buying student editions once you're not a student, that's where the stiff penalties come in. Same goes for finding a student to buy it for you--the licenses are seat licenses attached to the purchaser and aren't transferable.

The one thing that I don't like about the student editions is that it's only for one installation instead of the normal 3. You can purchase an additional one for that program each year if I recall correctly, but to me it's just better to flat out buy the full edition, because by the time you actually have the 3 it's roughly the time to upgrade by most people's standards by then. At that point your starting all over again.

The Vector Doctor

Chief Bezier Manipulator
The one thing that I don't like about the student editions is that it's only for one installation instead of the normal 3. You can purchase an additional one for that program each year if I recall correctly, but to me it's just better to flat out buy the full edition, because by the time you actually have the 3 it's roughly the time to upgrade by most people's standards by then. At that point your starting all over again.

Pretty certain it is only 2, not 3

http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/100/1008779.html

SightLine

║▌║█║▌│║▌║▌█

Yep - it's for 2 activations only on both student and full retail editions and only for using it on a different machine at different times such as on a desktop and a laptop. The 2 activations are NOT intended for installing it on 2 machines that will be in use at the same time by 2 different people.

Another thing on the student editions - a student edition can be upgraded to a full standard retail license. On other words is you are a student and have the student version of CS4 you can purchase the retail CS4 to CS5.5 upgrade. At that time your CS4 student license will convert to a full standard retail CS5.5 license. This is also documented on Adobe's site.

I've got the Master Suite on 3.

Not legally..... you might have it on 3 but it's not legal and as I posted above it's not legal to use it on more than one machine at a time. It can be installed on 2 but only in use on one at any given time.

Adobe licensing has pretty much been this way since probably version 6 or so.... http://www.adobe.com/products/eulas/ unless of course you have a volume license.

adrock

Just take a night and/or online course and you will be okay when you buy it....And as far as I know there is nothing to prevent you from using it for commercial purposes later....

Absolutely incorrect. The chances you would get caught are pretty slim, but student editions are definitely prohibited from using for commercial purposes.

WildWestDesigns

Not legally..... you might have it on 3 but it's not legal and as I posted above it's not legal to use it on more than one machine at a time. It can be installed on 2 but only in use on one at any given time.

Adobe licensing has pretty much been this way since probably version 6 or so.... http://www.adobe.com/products/eulas/ unless of course you have a volume license.

They are activated going through Adobe's website. No cracks or otherwise have been used. Could the guy that I had at the time paid for another license to do this, that's possible. I send so much money to Adobe as it is, it wouldn't have raised a red flag with me.