• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Need help hanging 1/4" PVC from a 4x4 arm post

ooodsie

I need advice.... I did 1/4" PVC signs for a client (real estate signs) which he is hanging from s hooks on a 4x4 wooden post outside of homes for sale. I normally do 1/2" PVC with eyehooks or aluminum with drilled holes for this client, so the 1/4" PVC was a first for me. At first I did eye hooks, but we found that they were literally pulling directly out of the material and the signs were falling to the ground because the material was so thin that they eyehooks I had to use were too weak. So then I went and drilled holes in the top of the signs in order to hang them from s-hooks. That didnt work either, they started literally ripping straight down from the s-hooks and ripping the PVC. I am at a loss.. Does anyone have any better suggestions?

Locals Find!

Simple solution. You need to use a better substrate. The 1/4" pvc is too weak for a hanging real estate sign. If you want to avoid remaking them entirely build some framing out of some edge framing pieces (these come in wood & pvc) at the hardware store. That will support the weight on the hooks.

Personally, I would tell the client the material is inferior and remake the signs the way you know they should be made. The way they were done the first time around.

ooodsie

Going fwd I will use a different material or thicker PVC for his future signs.. But I can't afford to scrap these and remake them for free, I would be way underwater on this job. So for a solution for this group of signs, whats the best solution to salvage these, grommets? or some sort of bracket? I had originally planned to use grommets, but my grommet guy said he felt 1/4" material was too thick to use grommets on?

John Butto

Cut some 1"x24"x.25" strips of pvc and glue (pvc cement from the hardware store in the plumbing section), and glue one on one side and one on the other to the top. Hold them with some clamps or weights until dry. Drill some small holes for some cable ties to hang from posts.

ooodsie

You have a grommet guy?

Lol.... if he was a real grommet guru he would know that there are deep grommets available for this exact reason. :thumb:

LOL - I have someone I bring stuff to when I need grommets instead of putting them in myself ;)

Billct2

Grommets may work, but they also may crack the pvc.
Johns idea of bonding another strip to the top is good, but
I would use a small metal strap bolted to the panel.
You've learned a lesson, 10mm coro would've been a better econonical choice
or 3mm ACM.

ooodsie

why would you make them so cheap that you would lose your shirt to fix them?

I am a she (in response to the other post) and I outsource the digital printing, so my costs are a little higher than those of you who digital print yourself. I made them priced competitive with my competitors locally. But if I had to rebuy all the material and redigital print them for free, I would definitely lose money. I didnt mark it up more than 100%. Fixing is another story - adding grommets I can afford to do and sounds like may be the best solution to try because I do not know that adding strips of metal is going to be pleasing to the eye for my client. Thanks everyone!

Billct2

Did your competiters spec 1/4" PVC?
You learned another lesson, beating someone elses price can end up costing you money instedd of making money.

Z SIGNS

Chalk it up to a learning experience.Make the signs over using the right material and move on to the next job.By the time you try to fix what's broke you could have made who knows how many other signs