• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

need help or advice

everest_4

I'm thinking of starting my own part time vinyl sign business. The company I work for now would give me all their decals to do right away, so the question is what do I need for stickers and decals? I also want to do car graphics and tint. Where do I even start????:frustrated:
What's the most cost effective way for me to start?

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Welcome from PA......................

Get a job with a sign-related position and learn...... quickly.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
I didn't even realize you were only 30 minutes up the road from us. I read it as the same name as your avatar name. :Oops:

Yeah, there are quite a few companies making signs and if you intend to learn from someone how to make a living at this as a sole proprietor.... have the decency to let them know up front that you want to learn and then go out on your own.

ChicagoGraphics

Does this mean in 6 months time you will be back out here selling your equipment, because you thought it was easy money making signs?

omgsideburns

:cough: non-compete contract :cough:

I didn't even realize you were only 30 minutes up the road from us. I read it as the same name as your avatar name. :Oops:

Yeah, there are quite a few companies making signs and if you intend to learn from someone how to make a living at this as a sole proprietor.... have the decency to let them know up front that you want to learn and then go out on your own.

Raulrdz

Taking a leap without knowing what you need to start off with, is not the way to start off a business, even a part time business. Do a lot of reading, check out the web forums and as has been said before get a part time of full time job at an existing sign company. It's not hard work, provided you have the know-how, but most importantly talent. Learn the lingo, it goes a long way with people in the industry, find yourself a reputable vendor, they are great help, but don't believe everything they tell you at face. And remember even part time business needs the necessary permits, tax status, etc., yes even for stickers and decals.

It's not as simple as it seems, the actual sign work is one thing, but what sometimes becomes daunting is keeping up with your business records and taxes. All this is needed for later equipment purchases and leasing. Write a comprehensive business plan, if you can do that successfully, it goes a long way to showing that you have at least done some research as to what you are getting into. As far as equipment advice, you will get many answers, research, research and more research.

AND IF YOU ARE WORKING FROM HOME, DON'T LOW BALL YOUR STOREFRONT OR ESTABLISHED SIGN COMPANIES. THEY ARE BIGGER AND CAN RUN YOU OUT OF BUSINESS QUICKLY. Remember they have mouths to feed and you don't want to be the cause of "cheapening the industry" in your area...it benefits no one.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Since everyone is saying this...... :peace!:

• Can you go up and down ladders and work from scaffolds ??
  • Can you eyeball things straight on a wall or do you need to measure every single thing you mount ??
  • Can you work into the wee hours of the morning ??
  • Do you own a car or coming from Ephrata.... a horse and buggy ??
Can you afford two cases of Bushmills to get started ?? I do like the stuff....:bushmill: :bushmill: